Author Topic: Corona 11 ACES Workflow  (Read 2089 times)

2023-12-19, 09:50:33
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't get all these ACES settings; ACES Settings are in the 3D Software, and ACES Settings are in the renderer and don't communicate. I still use the standard Gamma correction Colorspace in 3DSmax and render out all with Corona render and save as TIFF 16bit, as I did in the last few years; that works perfectly.

Sure, if you can work with the gamma workflow, please do. In most cases, that's the best solution.
Color management is there for people who need it. If you have a texture created in some specific color space which is expected to be loaded in that color space - you can do it now. Same if you need to output your image in a specific color space (for example if that's a requirement for further post-processing). 
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-12-19, 10:44:05
Reply #16

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is not about ACES and it is not about managing inputs and outputs in your DCC. Not in the slightest.

The main point is making rendering using wider gamut primaries easier. This is why 3ds max and Corona need colour management tools.

This is rough visualisation of measured real surface colours (rainbow boundary line) or PBR diffuse colours if you will, within visible spectrum. sRGB input is what Corona traditionally worked with, BT.709, so your colour swatches in max, textures you use with Corona etc. Everything within rainbow boundary and falling outside of sRGB triangle are real world colours that you can not describe with BT.709 primaries. You need BT.2020, ACEScg (AP1 triangle) or other for that. So you can make PBR simply more PB:

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-12-19, 16:16:05
Reply #17

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
Here is what is happening:

When using a custom color space (the "OCIO/ACES workflow"), the the VFB content is in linear sRGB instead of the expected gamma-corrected sRGB  - this is why it looks "wrong". The reason for this is that with the current color management implementation, Corona does not respect the 3ds Max Display and Views > Frame Buffer Default option.

We are working on improving the color management support and also trying to come up with a workaround that would allow users to see the image in the VFB as expected.
Also, we are planning new VFB features for Corona 12 (and a reskin), with the intention of making working with OCIO/ACES easier.

What works correctly right now is:
- Loading textures created in specific color spaces (there is a new drop-down for this in Corona Bitmap (and Corona Color))
- Rendering in a specific color space (all internal calculations are done in that color space)
- Outputting files with the selected color space and conversion (3ds Max 2024 "color management" section in the "Save image" dialog).

What we suggest:
If you do not need to load textures created in specific color spaces or are not planning to render in specific color spaces to bring your images into 2D editors or compositing software, leave the 3ds Max color management settings at the legacy gamma workflow.
Otherwise, you can use the available options (loading textures, customizing 3ds Max color management, outputting in specific color space), but bear in mind that the result visible in the VFB will be displayed in linear sRGB.

We are also working on a color management guide that we will share with everyone.

Sorry for not fully supporting everything. We are doing our best to improve this. Meanwhile, we are still interested in hearing what color management options you are interested in and why.

Sorry for late response.
Appreciate your feedback.

We do need to work in ACES color space in studio, for the meantime we are do all conversion inside our post process software, but its far from good solution.
I'm looking for the possibility to have process as streamlined as possible for 3d artist in studio to work with ACES.

Its important to have ability to see in Frame Buffer image converted to non linear sRGB image during interactive rendering (say while i work on lighting and shaders) and ability of saving as EXR linear ACEScg image.

This process implemented very well for example in Octane Render for Cinema4D.
Inside frame buffer you can chose color space to be shown inside FrameBuffer (either linear, or non linear converted to sRGB) without affecting output of the exr file.
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library

2023-12-20, 12:02:50
Reply #18

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for late response.
Appreciate your feedback.

We do need to work in ACES color space in studio, for the meantime we are do all conversion inside our post process software, but its far from good solution.
I'm looking for the possibility to have process as streamlined as possible for 3d artist in studio to work with ACES.

Its important to have ability to see in Frame Buffer image converted to non linear sRGB image during interactive rendering (say while i work on lighting and shaders) and ability of saving as EXR linear ACEScg image.

This process implemented very well for example in Octane Render for Cinema4D.
Inside frame buffer you can chose color space to be shown inside FrameBuffer (either linear, or non linear converted to sRGB) without affecting output of the exr file.
have you tried doing all that with jus luts?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2023-12-21, 07:59:38
Reply #19

Serj-3DVision

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3DVision
Yes, its not perfect, but can work.
The problem is i have to uncheck LUT when i send it to render farm. Which is something that have to be remembered.
And because its something that should be remembered by the whole team of artists in studio this cause problems (people always forget to check/uncheck something)
Sergei Scennikov | Israel | Tel-Aviv
Primary certified instructor
3DVision | Corona Materials Library

2023-12-21, 10:17:43
Reply #20

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, its not perfect, but can work.
The problem is i have to uncheck LUT when i send it to render farm. Which is something that have to be remembered.
And because its something that should be remembered by the whole team of artists in studio this cause problems (people always forget to check/uncheck something)

just a script, probably per camera, that gets executed when you send to render. turn off view luts, turn off region rendering etc. all the things you need.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube