Author Topic: to much time to render realistic pebble  (Read 5688 times)

2015-10-19, 14:07:30

kceb noraa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, please i want some advices to this problem: i want to achieve realistic pebble in the garden so i've used 3d pebble models, i've converted them to corona proxy and the scene is only 2M polys, but i've tried to render my image and it has taken to much time to start the first pass (between 20-25 min), when i open my file is too heavy (only 250Mo), when i want to cancel the render is too heavy too.when i've removed the pebbles as proxies object (50M polys witout proxy :D) from my scene everything is okay.

i tried to use textures with displacement but it's not realistic at all, So i think i have two choices 1)waiting too much time each time i render an image 2)add new ram slot (i have 16) to increase the speed of rendering.

I don't know, if there is an other way please tell me (by the way i've seen 3d scanned texture i'll attach a photo here,nice solution but not in the market yet i think).

Thank you
« Last Edit: 2015-10-19, 14:13:14 by kceb noraa »

2015-10-19, 14:22:28
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's Arroway Gravel right... ? Yeah that is memory taxing as they don't use instancing for individual stones in the "area". It's quite high-poly, but just enough, hard to optimalize it further without visual detriment.

I know how hard they are to manipulate in scene, but I had no issue with render start, maybe because I don't use them as proxy ?

I found the displacement to be ok-ish for distance, but of course for close-up, you would need vector displacement.

And yes, it's good idea to upgrade to 32gb of ram :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-19, 14:41:04
Reply #2

kceb noraa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes arroway gravel :) i just wanted to be sure that 32go is the only way as a solution to this problem before putting my money :D and if i don't use proxy my scene would reach 50M polys something like that so...thank for your response

2015-10-19, 14:42:21
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
20M faces in single proxy? No wonder why your pc is struggling. I wouldd find smallest proxy in your pebble collection, convert it to mesh, pick out unique pebbles/elements and detach them as separate objects. Then convert those to individual proxies (optional) and scatter with CoronaScatterer. That would take only fraction of RAM and geometry preparing time to render comparing to your method.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-10-19, 14:55:55
Reply #4

kceb noraa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i've tried to use corona scatter to spread the pebble but is very hard to manipulate and achieve a well and realistic orgonized pebble by the scatter method... this is why i've turned to arroway methode, but i'll try another time as you told me to do thanks for your advises ;)

2015-10-19, 16:15:32
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In newer versions of Corona you have "avoid collision" option in Corona scatter which is then tweakable and could be helpful here. I would do this by creating as low-poly pebble models as possible, and then scattering them with different textures. Corona MultiMap could be handy for this, basic tutorial with examples coming soon. :)

Debris Maker script creates pretty nice pebbles (river stones): http://www.debrismaker.aarondabelow.com/v1/index.html
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-19, 17:11:28
Reply #6

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Forest Pack also has some very nice gravel presets which can be tweaked as needed.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-10-19, 20:12:08
Reply #7

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
If you're using actual models of pebbles/stones, etc, then I see no need for any displacement. Bump should be enough for detail.

2015-10-19, 22:04:26
Reply #8

kceb noraa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
oh it would be grate maru ! and thank you about Debris Maker script nice tool :)

Thank you guys for your help i really appreciated :D Peace