Author Topic: Multiple lic servers?  (Read 3401 times)

2015-08-31, 16:39:56

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
I finally took the plunge and going full corona, updating the farm and pipeline right now.

One issue I'd like to get some advise on is the following, I've got 2 farms, a small one in my studio (3pc) and the heavy projects I renders on EC2 where I've got a nice scalable setup in a VPC which is connected to my LAN via a VPN.

the problem is that there isn't a single  machine that all these slaves can reach.. my workstation is the lic server for the in-house farm which work fine, and the 'manager' node on the cloud is dealing with the lics for the cloud instances. (the cloud slaves can only see the manager node). Besides that the cloud render slaves come and go (spot), and the the manager is a dedicated instance.  (see attached sketch)

So my questions are:
-Does running 2 lic servers work fine or should I find a solution where there is only one such server
-If a cloud slave goes down is that lic immediate available again for a new node? (I don't see any notification about lics being free'ed up in the logs)

Any other issues I might run into?

2015-08-31, 16:44:40
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
1) running 2 licensing servers is fine, no problems here.
2) do not worry about this situation, there are safety measures built in the licensing system for these kinds of situations
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-08-31, 16:51:24
Reply #2

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
1) running 2 licensing servers is fine, no problems here.
2) do not worry about this situation, there are safety measures built in the licensing system for these kinds of situations

Great! :)

2015-08-31, 21:29:49
Reply #3

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
Alright got it all working, the only 'problem' is that I have now 8 instances rendering happily all with an assigned lic while I got the WS+5 render nodes package. Is this the safety measure allowing for some temporary wiggle room or something else?

(screenshot shows only 7 but I've successfully started another one after taking that one)

2015-09-01, 11:34:12
Reply #4

chopmeister

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Polymachine
While on the topic of 2 lic servers, I also have a question, so I'll just put it here since it's similar.

We have one WS+3 SaaS licence in the office. I also took one WS+3 licence for my home. They are registered on different mail accounts since one i paid for by the office, and one by me. Can I use my private licences in the office given that I'm not using them at home at the same time?

If yes, what's the best way to set that up? Do I just run 2 lic servers on 2 different machines and give each one the respective login details and the nodes will sort themselves out, or what?

2015-09-01, 13:30:04
Reply #5

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
Why was  my post here removed? (the one about activating cloned EC2  instances and keeping activated license count in check)

2015-09-01, 13:34:43
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I removed the posts starting with Maru's response as it was badly worded, sorry for that, I talked to Maru. See PM ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-09-01, 13:36:24
Reply #7

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
I removed the posts starting with Maru's response as it was badly worded, sorry for that, I talked to Maru. See PM ;)

Ahh I didn't spot the PM, thanks for clarifying, makes sense!