Author Topic: anisotropic reflection  (Read 5151 times)

2014-12-29, 13:04:35

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!
I have a problem with anisotropic reflection. Is it possible to make direction of anisotropy related to the object local coordinates? "Anisotropy" and "rotation" parameters rotate the hotspot in screen coordinates and objects with the same material look different depending on their position and angle they are rotated.
Here are my examples and the material I need to imitate

2014-12-29, 17:14:18
Reply #1

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems that anisotropy is always in world coordinates?.
You could do better trying the glossiness and bump approach for that material instead of.

Something like attached maybe can be useful, i didnt include hdr to reduce size of file.

What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-12-29, 21:29:19
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much borisquezadaa for your reply, suggestion and for the shared file!
I had the question "Why anisotropy oriented in world coordinates if the reason for this phenomena is scratches on the surface?" always when I had to use this kind of materials on surfaces which are oriented not directly vertically or horizontally. In attached files you can see the render with the shader from your file - it looks good, but it's not the result I'd like to get in this project. Also here is comparison "bump vs anisotrpy" just to see the correct direction of specular spreading. And here I've taken few photos of brushed metal object lit by linear lamp to see how it looks in real life. It's funny, that anisotropy works correct on simple objects as cylinder.

2014-12-30, 00:46:45
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No sadly not, this is issue on Corona's part (as compared to VrayMtl)

But if you have daily build (at least I think it's unique only to DB) there is now Anisotropy rotation mappable parameter.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-30, 02:27:54
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
no, I havent touched it in a while. it is the same in all builds
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-30, 10:15:08
Reply #5

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your replies!
I use Alpha 7.2 and Anisotropy rotation parameter is mappable there. It uses gray gradient to determine direction of specular spreading and it does it in world coordinates. It doesn't make any relationship between direction of specular spreading and orientation of the object with all it's microdetails which make this effect happened.