Author Topic: Is corona using MLT?  (Read 3972 times)

2014-09-05, 01:55:37

aardej

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is corona using anything new/different than the other players..like Arnold, maxwell, etc? Thz

2014-09-05, 10:06:24
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yes, corona does a lot of things differently, but mostly the difference is not in algorithms. I have talked about this at siggraph:  http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2014-ltscourse/08-ltscourse-karlik-notes.pdf

tl;dr: no MLT ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-09-05, 11:30:45
Reply #2

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, corona does a lot of things differently, but mostly the difference is not in algorithms. I have talked about this at siggraph:  http://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2014-ltscourse/08-ltscourse-karlik-notes.pdf

Thanks for posting that, it's a very interesting read.

2014-09-05, 11:32:09
Reply #3

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Thanks for posting that, it's a very interesting read.

+1

Thank you!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-09-05, 13:31:23
Reply #4

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keymaster this is an awesome document, I agree with it 100%, and I agree those points are the secret of the Corona success.

Cheers.

2014-09-07, 20:41:51
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Perfect document !! Was it shared enough around.. ? {I don't know, I just came from "vacation", so I am bit out of touch} It's plenty informative and describes Corona philosophy nicely.

Actually, the most informative thing out of it, it describes what "stuff" (to avoid being rude :- ) ] regular mainstream user does, and why the software needs to adapt to his behaviour, rather
then catering to few "power-users".

I have question regarding slide "34". I surely wouldn't remove that reflection and have always dreamed of days when proper reflected (GI) Caustics (ones strongly boosting interior illuminations and forming shapes reflected from floor, and not the fancy refracted ones behind beer glass cup..) become efficient to be used. I didn't play with VCM because it's currently suggested to avoid in production due to lack of certain features and sidelined development, but does VCM also speed-up this type of caustics ? If so, that would be brutal and would definitely give a try.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-07, 21:01:15 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-09-07, 21:11:21
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
feel free to share the document if you wish, I just posted it on facebook.

VCM is the silver bullet for SDS caustics in any scene without complicated visibility. So yes, it gives you 100% correct results in this situation, and you will get your ceiling caustics with it.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)