Author Topic: Volumetric/SSS rendering playground  (Read 135597 times)

2014-08-09, 13:13:46
Reply #135

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
nice results Bigguns

2014-08-09, 17:47:19
Reply #136

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank's man

here's a big render overnight

and one this morning

« Last Edit: 2014-08-09, 18:10:42 by Bigguns »

2014-08-09, 18:04:59
Reply #137

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, I think I will need to remove volume mtl. Although it currently works exactly the same as coronamtl, there is too much placebo effect going on ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-08-09, 18:11:46
Reply #138

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What do you mean Keymaster? I don't want you to remove this shader lol

2014-08-09, 18:15:11
Reply #139

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As I said... currently volume mtl works EXACTLY the same as CoronaMtl with opacity set to 0. Yet people think there is some difference in shading. So it is confusing
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-08-09, 18:19:12
Reply #140

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
What Keymaster means is that what's in CoronaMTL is identical to what's in VolumeMTL.

If you want to get identical results to VolumeMTL here are two ways:

1, Set opacity level to 0.0 - this will make sure CoronaMTL will behave and perform same as VolumeMTL

2, Instead of 0 opacity, set refraction level to 1.0, then set IOR to 1.0, and set diffuse level to 0.0. This will perform slightly slower than 0 opacity setup, but parameters like reflection or refraction glossiness will have an effect. Zero opacity will completely ignore diffuse, reflection and refraction.

2014-08-09, 18:42:38
Reply #141

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can't put maps in VolumeMtl - it is different. ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-08-09, 18:57:09
Reply #142

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ha ok thank's for the infos!

But, you know, how I made this one is with a Vray blend  ( since corona don'T have for now a  Corona blend like Vray..) and I bleded it at 10 % with a corona Mtl to get the reflection.

Not sure if you should remove it, when you will have a corona blend maybe it will be cool to have it as a separate shader instead of the whole corona Mtl, maybe it will be faster since less parameters to check? I don't know you the boss ^^.

I really van't wait you to do the skin shader and hair shader.. I feel it's going to be a killer :)  Are you planning to do a volumetric skin shader like in Lagoa render or a more conventionnal one like arnold or Vray ? Or a better approach then all :)

We need a first refractive layer so we see the fur going through the skin, etc O a;ready tell you, and no one has this for now :) That's why I was thinking maybe making the first 2 layers sss volumetric, but probably there is a better approach to this hehe.

Is it planned that we can use the volume Mtl with textures?

2014-08-09, 19:05:04
Reply #143

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
interesting tidbit: CoronaMtl, CoronaLightMtl, CoronaVolumeMtl, CoronaShadowCatcherMtl, and CoronaVolumeMtl are all translated into the same material internally... so no, there is no speed bonus for using volume mtl ;). Material parsing is instant process, and the runtime overhead is designed to be minimal when advanced features are disabled.

2014-08-09, 19:18:47
Reply #144

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ha ok thank's for the info.

I still think you should find a way so we can use a diffuse texture with the volumetric sss, it's really cool and I can see a lot of applications where it can be used, other then  just clouds etc. Again I don't know if it's possible ^^

Here's a link to the volumetric skin shader of Lagoa render : https://www.behance.net/gallery/9661407/Character-Visualization-via-Lagoa
I never tried it but look's cool! It has a different feel from Vray and Arnold etc.

and they have the best hair shader I've seen so far.

2014-08-10, 01:31:47
Reply #145

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Finally i found time to play with SSS. At first my reaction was... wtf, how this thing suppose to work?! But after some spent time, things became a little bit clearer.

Here's my first attempt. I wonder, how to simulate bones without putting actual mesh inside skin? I tried to put some cylinders into fingers and results were really good, but i'd like to do it via material, if possible.

Model and textures are from: JokerMartini
« Last Edit: 2014-08-10, 02:04:22 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-08-10, 12:00:49
Reply #146

jjaz82

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you headoff :)
i try to simulate a smoke effect

« Last Edit: 2014-08-10, 12:11:15 by jjaz82 »

2014-08-10, 21:12:55
Reply #147

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2014-08-11, 09:52:32
Reply #148

AmSon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, and some one could be a hero and finally do that god damn orange juice! :D

Testing, it looks a lot better now :D

CAN U SHARE THE SETTINGS AND MATERIAL ?THNX

2014-08-11, 17:11:54
Reply #149

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
More photorealistic attempt. After several hours of playing with parameters and textures, i get half a decent result... in a shaded lighting scenario. But as soon as i introduce direct light, whole skin illusion start falling appart. Somehow shadows from direct light sources looks very wrong.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures