Author Topic: 3dcenter.ru Corona thread  (Read 53100 times)

2013-02-21, 12:06:50

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hello,

when analyzing where visitors of our forum mostly come from, we have noticed that many of them come from a Russian site 3dcenter.ru. Thanks to this information, we have found a thread about Corona on the site. Unfortunately nor me nor Ondra know Russian language so we have read the thread using Google translator, which gave us only very crude and foggy translation.

From that crude translation, i understood that some of the Corona problems have been discussed, and i or Ondra may be able to provide answer for some of those problems. So, here are the answers for some of the problems i understood were discussed.

• You should always use single sided planes in windows for window glass, and apply glass material set to twosided mode. Real glass will slow down rendering a bit, even if you disable shadow casting for it.
  • You should use HD cache as secondary GI for most of the interior scenes.
  • For curtain material to pass sunlight through, you should not use opacity, but refraction level parameter, with refraction mode set to twosided, and optionally, refraction color to be mapped with opacity map. This is at the moment more efficient solution than mapping opacity. You don't necessarily need to map refraction level if you do not want to, for basic effect of light shining through the curtain, just set refraction mode of curtain material to twosided, and raise refraction level to pass more light through the curtain. Mapping the refraction color will occlude sun based on the map you put in.
    This information might not be true for people with nightly builds, as opacity slowness should be fixed there. Some tests of mapped refraction with twosided mode vs opacity would be appreciated. :)
  • For scenes with strong depth of field, it is recommended to lower PT samples value to 2-8 to change ratio of GI vs AA sampling. Less PT samples mean more samples are devoted to AA, which is also responsible for clearing DoF effect. So you will get more samples in your AA and less in GI, which may lead to better balance and better rendertimes.
  • There is often a noise in surfaces with sharp, but very weak/faint reflection. That is caused due to the insufficient adaptivity and therefore objects in reflection having insufficient sampling priority. This is a known issue and will be fixed in next alpha release. For those of you who have nightly builds, you can go to Devel/Debug settings and try to use Per-pixel M+C sampler, which should solve this problem at the slight expense of performance.
So i would like to ask people who are both Corona and 3dcenter.ru members to pass these information to guys from 3dcenter.ru, and inform them that they are always welcome on our forum too. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-02-21, 12:14:30 by Rawalanche »

2013-02-21, 12:40:59
Reply #1

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
I've already told them. :)

At the expense of opacity in tulle. Here I am personally satisfied with the result and speed. I'll try to do a refraction, but I do not see much sense.
sorry for my english

2013-02-21, 12:52:03
Reply #2

SHD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/xshd/

2013-02-21, 12:55:29
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I've already told them. :)

At the expense of opacity in tulle. Here I am personally satisfied with the result and speed. I'll try to do a refraction, but I do not see much sense.

Problem there was that in public A3 release (not nightly) there was a bug that would sometimes make opacity quite slow ;)

2013-02-21, 13:08:27
Reply #4

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
All right. I understand you. ;)
sorry for my english

2013-02-23, 16:09:46
Reply #5

Han

• Active Users
  • CG generalist
    • View Profile
Thanks guys for your attention to us.
I have not worked for two years with 3d Max, now my main software is Cinema 4D, but the Crown has made me re-run the old software)))
In the future, if I can expect integration with Cinema 4D?
You will not be there for such competition - Vray integration worthless, Octane is not out yet, Arion and never will be, there is a mental ray but almost no one uses.
If I will be the integration of the first in line to buy it!

2013-02-23, 16:19:42
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
sure, as soon as I get the money to pay for it, I'll hire someone for it.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-02-23, 18:45:17
Reply #7

Han

• Active Users
  • CG generalist
    • View Profile
My first test on a commercial stage. It was originally made ​​by Vray . you can buy it here  zancanaro.com/gspot/?page_id=91
26 min   2500 х1461

1h

1h 30 min

« Last Edit: 2013-02-23, 18:52:17 by Han »

2013-02-23, 19:09:47
Reply #8

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Great render Han of the G spot of the  bed

The displacement for bricks looks nice even if the closeup is a little bit smoother, but it's ok it's nice !

2013-02-25, 08:59:38
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Another info...

When rendering mandelbulb animation:
  • If you want it to not deform, then move camera instead of mandelbulb object. Its simply a container for volume in world space, so if you move it, mandelbulb will deform.
  • When rendering animation, it's better to render first a single frame, to see how many passes it takes to get clean, and then disable time limit, enable pass limit, and set to the number of passes you got from single frame test. This will ensure noise will be consistent from frame to frame.
  • When rendering very fine fractal detail, you might want to lower PT samples amount to capture fine details with more antialiasing.

2013-02-25, 10:28:21
Reply #10

Han

• Active Users
  • CG generalist
    • View Profile
In my test on the wall displacement is very bad, which is a smeared.
How to fix it?

2013-02-25, 10:35:52
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
lower texture filter value in Texture settings, and/or lower max projected triangle size in Corona settings

Also, try tesselating the walls a little
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-03-03, 17:44:05
Reply #12

Triar

• Users
    • View Profile

daily build(030313), 3dmax design 2013, windows 8x64

2013-03-03, 17:46:12
Reply #13

SHD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/xshd/

2013-03-03, 18:08:46
Reply #14

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you copy all the necessary stuff from corona into 3dsmax root directory?? Cause 3ds max is saying it's missing wxwidgets content(new corona custom framebuffer thing...)!

2013-03-03, 18:31:38
Reply #15

Triar

• Users
    • View Profile
i7 2600k ?

2013-03-03, 18:43:46
Reply #16

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ask the guy who sent you the daily builds you should not have access to to give you the additional needed libraries (there are 4 of them to be copied into 3dsmax root folder)

2013-03-05, 14:14:30
Reply #17

Han

• Active Users
  • CG generalist
    • View Profile
My second test.
The stage was converted from Cinema 4D - in max. I remembered why I hated the max before :)
It is not yet finished.

2013-03-13, 17:40:19
Reply #18

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
3dcenter forum got new section especially for Corona

http://3dcenter.ru/forum/index.php?showforum=178

2013-03-14, 17:47:50
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
sweet, although I would appreciate if there were no Corona builds re-hosted there.

2013-03-14, 18:24:43
Reply #20

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
No, dayliBuilds there doesn't extend, there is only public Alpha3, and as public scripts.
Simply local users not all know English, however as well as I :), and for them all is duplicated that is here at a forum.
sorry for my english

2013-03-14, 21:20:30
Reply #21

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
I agreed with Keymaster.
Corona forum must be the origin for installation files, even it is an open Alpha builds.

2013-03-14, 21:50:42
Reply #22

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
Ok. Fixed. :)
sorry for my english

2013-03-20, 22:05:33
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I saw some discussion about portals, here is a comparison how the benchmark scene looks with/without them:
http://corona-renderer.com/stuff/bench-portal/

all differences other than noise are because of HD cache bias, not because of the portals.

2013-03-29, 17:06:10
Reply #24

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I see somebody asked why on most machines he has very long "transforming vertices" phase. You can tell him to either move the scene+textures to a faster disk, or merging/attaching some of its objects together as a temporary workaround until A5 is out.

2013-04-15, 11:18:30
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks like there is some discussion about comparing results from Corona to Vray. Google translator is failing hard, but from what I understood you are trying to compare pathtracing to pathtracing. You won't find significant differences there, as path tracing never blurs anything, and your scenes are too simple for any significant clamping to occur.

Nevertheless, there seems to be some difference in creases and dents, with Vray output being more "defined" (darker in shadows). This is not because of some interpolation of path tracing or faking in Corona, but probably because Vray by default completely ignores reflect color at secondary bounces (unless you turn reflect caustics on). This means, that Corona is giving correct results, and vray fakes the result by not computing a subset of light paths. If you turn reflect caustics on in Vray, you should get almost the same, correct image.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-15, 11:22:27 by Keymaster »

2013-04-15, 11:43:54
Reply #26

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
Ondra, you can register on our site and carry discussion in language convenient to you, all of us will understand... :)
sorry for my english

2013-04-15, 13:54:16
Reply #27

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No thanks, I'll leave this one to you, i wouldnt even be able to register ;)

2013-04-15, 14:40:01
Reply #28

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW, correctly implemented VCM, bidir, path tracing, light tracing, progressive photon mapping, etc. will ALWAYS give you the same converged result...

2013-04-15, 22:04:29
Reply #29

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
BTW, correctly implemented VCM, bidir, path tracing, light tracing, progressive photon mapping, etc. will ALWAYS give you the same converged result...

Are you serious about Bidir ? it's good now ?  WOW i missed its speed !

2013-04-15, 22:24:40
Reply #30

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, they work. But they are still not fast (and never will be) for the typical scenes you guys do

2013-04-17, 17:29:05
Reply #31

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
War on 3dcenter.ru - Corona VS Vray, Maxwell, Octane )))
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-04-17, 17:36:08
Reply #32

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It is so bizzare... Why do you even compare render outputs? You will never be able to match the glossy materials correctly, and even so the differences are too small. If some renderer has a decent gallery of high-quality pictures, then one can assume, that it is able to produce high-quality results, and then it is just a matter of ease and speed with which you can create such renders. And this is mostly subjective...

2013-04-17, 17:49:50
Reply #33

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
It is so bizzare... Why do you even compare render outputs? You will never be able to match the glossy materials correctly, and even so the differences are too small. If some renderer has a decent gallery of high-quality pictures, then one can assume, that it is able to produce high-quality results, and then it is just a matter of ease and speed with which you can create such renders. And this is mostly subjective...
Because it's fun: D and I, Ecximer and another some people defend The Corona...it's just a GAME

2013-04-17, 17:58:41
Reply #34

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Because it's fun: D and I, Ecximer and another some people defend The Corona...it's just a GAME

Why defend something if you have a bunch of those... :)

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-04-17, 18:02:31
Reply #35

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah, I guess it is fun to mess with fanboys :D

2013-04-17, 18:08:53
Reply #36

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
There are always limitations and difficulties in the performance of many imitation in all renderers. And like the "war" help to better understand the workings of a product, at least to me :).
Well, it's when I have time of course :)

2013-04-17, 20:05:09
Reply #37

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
aaaand the results of the war :D
Time/Quality - perfect!
PT+PT, no post

2013-04-18, 11:05:00
Reply #38

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I have invented a new game - drink a shot every time google translate uses "Comrade" in the thread :D

2013-04-18, 11:22:59
Reply #39

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
I poorly understood about what you, but shall be cheerful. :)
sorry for my english

2013-06-05, 16:51:33
Reply #40

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Why doesn't "iDDQD" just send me some of his pictures from Corona and asks for the daily build activation?

2013-06-05, 18:04:32
Reply #41

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
I tell him about it, thank you!

2013-06-05, 20:27:42
Reply #42

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Ondra, what are you think about that to make test scene with all existing features for hunting for bugs? This scene may be shared with daily builds and would contained all newly added features too.

something like scene in this theme  http://3dcenter.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=108803

I think that you can be to make it - as the most expert in  corona. Or someone from us could be make scene and you could be updated it

2013-06-05, 20:41:15
Reply #43

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
in general it is a good idea, but a single scene cannot cover all possibilities - different GI algorithms, settings, lights, ... But is somebody would make it, it would be great. I can edit it, but I am too busy to make it myself

2013-06-05, 20:45:57
Reply #44

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
I know, but it would help to cut off many bugs in the first few minutes of testing

and many questions like 'how i can do...' could be to closed.

I'm still learning corona, but ok - i'll try to make scene

2013-06-07, 10:57:46
Reply #45

DKulakov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why doesn't "iDDQD" just send me some of his pictures from Corona and asks for the daily build activation?
Hi, Keymaster!
At last I had time to write here!
Thanks again for a great product! Even in its alpha version, it is capable of much.
However, there is still much work. Can I help in becoming a beta tester?