Author Topic: GGX - best way to recreate it for all metals, problems translating to Corona  (Read 78873 times)

2014-06-23, 12:21:05
Reply #15

ktulu

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Corona 3 way blend material:

a.reflection level 0.95
glossiness 0.8
Fall-off RGB calculated above

b.reflection level 0.95
glossiness 0.9

c.reflection level 0.95
glossiness 0.99

Blending 3 different glossiness materials achieves absolutely nothing.2 and 4 look exactly the same. Except a longer rendering time.So I need help here.

I think what is happening here is that in each case you are overriding the Reflection glossiness value with the same map, hence you are blending 3 materials that are looking exactly the same.

2014-06-23, 12:27:00
Reply #16

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Hope you do not mind me throwing in some of my own experimentation as I also think this is a great topic!
Another signee here to Grant Warwick's course I was also curious how I could implement this very logical approach into Corona.
I have reasonable CPU power so was not concerned with the mutli sampling.
As I think as Juraj had mentioned I multi layered the Blend Map and was very satisfied with the results.
Quickly this morning I put together a comparison model comparing single vs multi layer in vray and corona. Only observation was that I found that the Vray and Corona Glossiness values were not like for like so reduced the Corona value to approx half. I considered that Ward contributed to this on the Vray side. You can see in my comparison the single layer material starting point.
So in my ignorance am I missing anything in this approach as it appears to be working fine, cheers!

2014-06-23, 12:44:11
Reply #17

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Geelash,

Sorry if I misunderstood your post but as far as IOR is concerned on the 999 setting, this is correct as it is the Corona setting for OFF,
then your  falloff map in the reflection colour is controlling the IOR.
Therefore you are correctly representing gold when dialing in the physically correct falloff map.

2014-06-23, 13:32:45
Reply #18

gleelash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GestaltDesign, your result seems like a good starting point.
Way better than my tests so far.

Keymaster, I'm rendering 3 human skulls off of a Z Brush model, with some modeled cracks, one frontal and some spinney ones aside (so it's not a symmetrical scene). Hope it is complex enough I scoured the internet to quickly model something but...not much in this world made out of platinum, gold or copper. I will render these "blindly" by sending them to a friend, the copper might feel a bit de-saturated, we'll see. I will update ASAP when there done tonight.

2014-06-23, 14:10:00
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, this is nice example. I am not sure you would reproduce the same material, but the gold statues definitely show enough improvement for me to start investigating the possibilities.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-06-23, 14:12:09
Reply #20

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's cool once you start getting creative with it, such as darkening the falloff and adding into AO and adding dirt layers, I had a quick go now and attached setup :)

2014-06-23, 15:01:09
Reply #21

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow that tarnished gold material is really good! Would you mind uploading the material here for us to test?
Vray who?

2014-06-23, 15:01:58
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You deserve many beers Gestalt !
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-06-24, 00:30:57
Reply #23

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

2014-06-24, 02:15:52
Reply #24

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
GGX Yes.... was just coincidentally also watching grant's advanced shader tutorial today and was about to start experimenting to see how i can recreate it in corona then i find you Gestalt.

WELL DONE
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2014-06-24, 07:50:44
Reply #25

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´ve tried to reproduce Grants materials with Corona, and I think it works really well but GGX would be great to have!!

2014-06-24, 09:48:10
Reply #26

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´ve tried to reproduce Grants materials with Corona, and I think it works really well but GGX would be great to have!!

do you mind sharing some renders of them Daniel
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray

2014-06-24, 11:14:22
Reply #28

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keymaster - Very exciting news, sure something amazing will come of it!
Juraj - Beer is always good, glad to be of service :)

I have just uploaded the base gold material to play with on CML, thought that was the easiest option.
I will upload the Tarnished Gold when I find time to make a custom map as yesterday I just banged in the first dirt map available and it may not be freely distributable, just want to be sure.

Have to flag up Grant's course, it really is that bloody good, totally recommend signing up and completely transferable to Corona. 
Bit like Corona in it's intelligent, no nonsense, "if you're gonna do it, do it properly" style!

2014-06-24, 12:12:59
Reply #29

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile