Author Topic: more than 10 multiple maps environment  (Read 546 times)

2023-08-23, 21:52:14

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I recall a discussion once, but can't seem to find it.

Is it possible to have more than 10 maps plugged in to the multiple maps (lightmix) environment slot?

I'm sure it was possible with a script or something...?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2023-08-24, 12:02:40
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This will set your number of maps to 20:
Code: [Select]
renderers.current.bg_mapCount=20
This does not show in the UI, and you would need another command to populate the environment slots with map(s).

I would have another question here:
Why exactly do you need this? I think rendering more than 10 environments at the same time would result in crippled performance. Maybe there is another way to get what you are after?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-08-24, 12:19:47
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
This does not show in the UI, and you would need another command to populate the environment slots with map(s).

Might you also share this with me, please? :)

Why exactly do you need this? I think rendering more than 10 environments at the same time would result in crippled performance. Maybe there is another way to get what you are after?

Fair question!

Basically, I want to send out a whole bunch of test renders each night when I start new projects. I have, let's say, 5 views of a new property. I have a standard HDRi map I'm now using for scenes (sometimes only initial in the initial phase, I refine the lighting later).

I plug the hdri in at various rotations. Ideally it'd be every 15 degrees, giving me 24 lighting options for each of the 5 views. Which would mean 24 instances of the same hdri plugged into my multi environment map. I can set these off overnight and wake up with a lot of view and lighting options to share with clients. It's generally in the early stages of development, so not a heavy scene. I've noticed using 10 maps doesn't seem to be problematic... so far.

I guess another way to do with might be with pulze (I'm a big big fan and user of their software). But I can't figure out a clean/easy way to do it.

Perhaps I can use Pulze 'variations' (never used it), and link a sphere to the environment gimbal thingy Corona now has. Not sure if this is possible or not...

Any thoughts or tips?

Edit: Ah, I can probably do it easy with an animated sphere and render out a 24 frame animation :)
« Last Edit: 2023-08-24, 12:36:46 by aaouviz »
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-08-24, 12:38:25
Reply #3

JonathanVis

• Users
    • View Profile
Was just about to say that you can animate the rotation value of the HDRI and render out as many frames as you need with both Pulze and 3ds max natively!

2023-08-24, 16:27:19
Reply #4

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Might you also share this with me, please? :)

Fair question!

Basically, I want to send out a whole bunch of test renders each night when I start new projects. I have, let's say, 5 views of a new property. I have a standard HDRi map I'm now using for scenes (sometimes only initial in the initial phase, I refine the lighting later).

I plug the hdri in at various rotations. Ideally it'd be every 15 degrees, giving me 24 lighting options for each of the 5 views. Which would mean 24 instances of the same hdri plugged into my multi environment map. I can set these off overnight and wake up with a lot of view and lighting options to share with clients. It's generally in the early stages of development, so not a heavy scene. I've noticed using 10 maps doesn't seem to be problematic... so far.

I guess another way to do with might be with pulze (I'm a big big fan and user of their software). But I can't figure out a clean/easy way to do it.

Perhaps I can use Pulze 'variations' (never used it), and link a sphere to the environment gimbal thingy Corona now has. Not sure if this is possible or not...

Any thoughts or tips?

Edit: Ah, I can probably do it easy with an animated sphere and render out a 24 frame animation :)

1. Do you really need all the 24 angles of the same HDRI in the scene, so you can tweak them separately in the Lightmix?
2. Or you, simply, need 24 renders for each view, with the same HDRI rotating a bit, to later pick from?

I think the case 1 is ok, but I sense something wrong in it.
For case 2, you can simply animate the rotation of the HDRI. You can do this with Auto-frame on, go to each next frame and rotate it +15 degrees - 0 frame: 0 degree, 1 frame: 15 degree, 2 frame: 30 degree and so on.

Then you can set up batch rendering with each view. The animation for HDRI will be there for all the cameras, you can set a animation range to render, that will be 0-23, inclusive.
Any other workflow would feel and sound to complicated for me for this case, even with scene/state sets in 3ds Max.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-08-24, 17:26:44
Reply #5

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For case 2, you can simply animate the rotation of the HDRI. You can do this with Auto-frame on, go to each next frame and rotate it +15 degrees - 0 frame: 0 degree, 1 frame: 15 degree, 2 frame: 30 degree and so on.
Or move to frame 24 with auto-frame on, set your rotation to 360 degrees and it will rotate it 15 degrees per frame.

Just make sure your in/out tangents are set to linear:
linear" border="0

2023-08-24, 17:32:29
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I also don't think using the multi environment feature is the way to go here. Keep in mind that it will render all environments at the same time, and the sampling may go crazy (since this affects the overall exposure, reflections, refractions, etc). What I would suggest instead is what others said: animating the HDRI rotation and saving each frame OR using the Corona Select Map with multiple versions of the HDRI (which would produce pretty much the same result as the animated rotation approach).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-08-24, 19:06:42
Reply #7

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Yeah, thanks everyone. I did the animated environment (linked to a sphere in the scene which is animated and for easier control).

Works like a charm, but still much slower than my previous route of multi map for environment.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D