Author Topic: No corona vs redshift comparison so far?  (Read 46799 times)

2014-06-16, 22:07:05
Reply #45

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks for answer guys, satisfied my curiousity :- ).

Animator, you got me wrong, I am not needing anything or looking to migrate :- ). I am very content with using Corona and Vray at the moment. Once Corona matures out (and it does so quickly!) I will be fully content to keep it purely.
It's exactly how I want renderer to look like.

I am simply curious of what other kids on block are doing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-06-17, 18:57:53
Reply #46

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im thinking about upgrade my pc (I have 4000$ for this).

What do you think is better, in performance terms:

My Intel Core i7-4820K with 4 Geforce GTX Titan for Gpu render or a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2680 2.7
The option Cpu cost 3500$ and Gpu 4000$, more or less ...

Thanks!

2014-06-17, 20:43:19
Reply #47

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Get some nice i7, use Corona, use the rest of money to hit Vegas ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-06-17, 20:55:04
Reply #48

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good idea!, but this apearse like 3th option.

Seriously, between this 2 options, what you do you think is better for professional purpose now.

Of couse i'd like to get some license of corona, Im waiting for you ...

2014-06-18, 22:01:07
Reply #49

Animator89

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good idea!, but this apearse like 3th option.

Seriously, between this 2 options, what you do you think is better for professional purpose now.

Of couse i'd like to get some license of corona, Im waiting for you ...

If yo work in archviz then of course 2xCPU is better than GPU workstation. Simly because of:
1)Heavy for GI scenes
2)Archviz needs more realistic results
3)You have many renderers for CPU and for 3ds max no one normal for GPU

If you want to render spheres or boxes. or spheres and boxes. or spheres and boxes in room with 4 walls and one light source (like most of gpu render developers) then buy only one titan and one cheaper for display
I think you can get very comfortable solution with gpu renders today only if you do animations in maya/softimage an renders with redshift. Redshift is not so realistic like corona but in animations its rely doesn't matter.
After compositing in Nuke you can get very nice results:)
-Pavel

2014-06-18, 23:33:22
Reply #50

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
If you want to render spheres or boxes. or spheres and boxes. or spheres and boxes in room with 4 walls and one light source (like most of gpu render developers) then buy only one titan and one cheaper for display

burn! :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-06-20, 12:46:56
Reply #51

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your answer Animator89.
I was thinking in that posibility because I saw some nice images from octane and redshift. But I realy dont know if in the present the Gpu renderers are capable to execute big scenes like others based on cpu. The vram limit of gpu maybe dont permit to realize this archviz scenes?

Thanks guys!

2014-06-20, 21:28:51
Reply #52

Animator89

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you talking about Redshift then it has a nice out of core architecture that provides to render very large scenes with lot of textures. If you talk about others(Octane, iray, arion, e.t.c.) then I simple can't render big scenes with them because of very slow speed. Yes, boxes with one HDR light they render faster then Corona or vray but when you add more lights and increse scene complexity you will have very slow(but true brute force) render process. I don't want shitty unbias render with no visual difference from render with point cloud or HD cache solutions... OCtane dev team makes out of core for their renderer but feature developement speed in Otoy is too slow... Also Otoy provides some cloud compute solutions. what do you think for octane dev team is in priority?  fast renderer-few cloud users or slow renderer-large cloud user base? ;)
I also saw some very nice images from Corona ;)

2014-06-22, 16:06:47
Reply #53

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your answer Animator89.
I was thinking in that posibility because I saw some nice images from octane and redshift. But I realy dont know if in the present the Gpu renderers are capable to execute big scenes like others based on cpu. The vram limit of gpu maybe dont permit to realize this archviz scenes?
Redshift deals with large scenes better than most CPU-based renderers on the market. The rest of them? Not so much. OTOY are working on an out-of-core architecture for Octane, but I'm a little bit sceptical, because Octane renders pixels in a random order which means even more random access to texture and geometry, which puts even more stress on the PCIe bandwidth and slows things down. Redshift can render in bucket mode, which helps a bit even with path tracing.

2014-06-25, 14:33:11
Reply #54

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. Now I think is better the xeon's option.

Best regards