Author Topic: Max extremely slow to close  (Read 6331 times)

2023-01-26, 10:15:47

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this a Corona-related issue or not, but since updating to Max 2023 (I think) (And maybe since getting Corona 10, but probably earlier than that too) I've noticed my scenes are EXTREMELY slow to close.

Like it takes 10 minutes...

I figured this was because I have a pretty heavy scene, where I first noticed it. But it's not obscenely heavy.

Now I notice it's happening too in much more simple (but freshly made) scenes, with only 4-5 materials.

Anyone else experiencing such issues?

I'm on Windows 10. Max 2023.1. Corona 10 daily Jan 2 (but was happening with Corona 9).

I also use Pulze SM plugin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2023-01-26, 11:14:01
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I haven't noticed this when working with simple tests scenes (few objects + few materials) or with user-submitted scenes (some are multiple GB in size with hundreds of materials).
If you wish, you can send us a sample scene and we can check if the same thing happens on our end: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-01-27, 07:05:39
Reply #2

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been experiencing this on and off for years.  If you google around you'll see other people have similar issues (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3ds-max-2019-3-slow-exiting/td-p/8504663)  The difference between me and that report is that with simple\nearly empty scenes it closes pretty quick.  But with anything moderately heavy it can take 10 minutes to close.  Some people in that thread seem to have solved it by enabling\disabling their network cards but I was never able to solve it that way.

Honestly what I normally do is just save the scene and then kill it through task manager.  Not ideal, but it saves a ton of time.

Running threadrippers on Windows 10 and have seen this issue in Max 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023...latest Corona, Pulze, Forest Pack, Railclone.

2023-02-21, 17:02:45
Reply #3

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
I have this issue  and have had it for years. It seems to be dependent, at least for me, on the time Max has been open before closing - after a few hours of Max being open (I haven't measured it but it's at least 1+ hours), closing it will take a long time. I suspect it's a Max issue and nothing to do with Corona. Max is Max...

2023-02-21, 18:51:18
Reply #4

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I have this issue  and have had it for years. It seems to be dependent, at least for me, on the time Max has been open before closing - after a few hours of Max being open (I haven't measured it but it's at least 1+ hours), closing it will take a long time. I suspect it's a Max issue and nothing to do with Corona. Max is Max...

Hmm, OK, thanks for the additional info.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me though. As mentioned, it only recently started happening, and even if I open a scene for 1 minute then close, it's still 10+ minutes of closing time...

But yes, Max is Max :(
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-05-24, 12:17:14
Reply #5

krszts

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, i recently tried switching default renderer to Arnold and closing is much quicker. So I guess corona has something to do with it.

Scene is the same. Only Corona Materials. I just switched render to Arnold when I want to close max and it will close much much faster.

2023-05-24, 12:37:37
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Wasn't there another thread like this? Yeah this issue popped up for me about 3-4 months ago. I haven't been able to pin it down (but I also didn't try...).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-05-24, 22:23:47
Reply #7

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same thing here, are we all running Threadrippers?

2023-05-24, 22:43:58
Reply #8

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
same here, and running threadripper also

2023-05-24, 23:01:02
Reply #9

krszts

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for making me feel poor :D 5950X here

2023-05-25, 07:18:36
Reply #10

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Same thing here, are we all running Threadrippers?

Yep, I am
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-05-25, 17:04:21
Reply #11

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Same here but with 7950X

2023-05-25, 17:09:51
Reply #12

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So so far it's not only Threadrippers, but seems to be only AMD.  Anyone with an intel with this issue?

2023-05-25, 17:18:54
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think I had it on my Intel 13950HX laptop as well, but also haven't taken much notice. It's one of those things I accepted, perhaps putting it down to heavy scene with some particular feature (I once found out for example a scene where single object with symmetry modifier applied to poly select, or something like that, caused 15 minute Max opening, and 4 minutes of Corona Precomputation, just weird, and it was purely because of that symmetry mod combo).

It's so hard to diagnose these things that I gave up trying to do most of the time unless it's extreme, like that symmetry bullshit, since that annoyed me with every render start, but I only close scene few times a day so I didn't bother investigating.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-05-25, 17:57:18
Reply #14

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Our Studio uses both intel and AMD and Max closing times are just as bad on both platforms.
It has surely sth to do with plugins we use (or how 3ds Max is managing them), it's hard to isolate it to one in particular though as we use many.
Very annoying so we also starte to simply fore quit max after saving.