Author Topic: Weird adaptivity issues  (Read 912 times)

2022-11-22, 16:03:57

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ive been running a render locally for about 3-4 hours. Some areas are completely clean. Others look like Theyve had single digit render passes. Theres a really obvious hard edge between these areas.
There doesnt appear to be a rhyme or reason for the specific areas within the noisy areas that are completely clean. Ive attached some snips of the render to show areas where the same object is both clean and extremely noisy.

The rest of the scene is fine and has had good low-noise renders after the same timeframe.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Apologies mods i put this in completely the wrong area. This should be in the standard Max Help section.
« Last Edit: 2022-11-22, 16:56:25 by Jpjapers »

2022-11-22, 17:32:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you using LightMix here? Is it possible that you adjusted the intensity of some light(s) from very high to very low or the other way around? It looks like this kind of sampling issue.

If you are not using LightMix, have you tried resetting render settings to defaults? (Scene > Reset Settings)

Also, please provide the usual stuff: Corona version, Max version, plugins used, any other detail that you can think of.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-22, 17:49:03
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using LightMix here? Is it possible that you adjusted the intensity of some light(s) from very high to very low or the other way around? It looks like this kind of sampling issue.

If you are not using LightMix, have you tried resetting render settings to defaults? (Scene > Reset Settings)

Also, please provide the usual stuff: Corona version, Max version, plugins used, any other detail that you can think of.

I am using lightmix everything is at or below 1.0 but none are below 0.7.
This is corona 8 with Max 2022. Some collapsed tyflow in the scene but aside from that no other plugins used.
The problem isnt evident across the entire scene as ive just had a wider shot render at the same resolution clear up in just over an hour. Some noise is to be expected as theres lots of small lights but its not been this bad in any render coming from this scene in the past.

« Last Edit: 2022-11-22, 18:16:42 by Jpjapers »

2022-11-22, 20:03:05
Reply #3

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's weird that there is very definite cut off. Are you using any volumetrics by chance?

2022-11-22, 20:24:42
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This doesn't necessarily have to be caused by adaptivity, it could be the new solver (which was hidden from the UI and moved to 'devel' section tab in v8 I think). You could try disabling it and see if it helps. I'm seeing this from time to time but eventually it clears up, that harsh border is only visible in the first few passes for me.

2022-11-23, 10:53:27
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's weird that there is very definite cut off. Are you using any volumetrics by chance?

No volumetrics in the scene no.

This doesn't necessarily have to be caused by adaptivity, it could be the new solver (which was hidden from the UI and moved to 'devel' section tab in v8 I think). You could try disabling it and see if it helps. I'm seeing this from time to time but eventually it clears up, that harsh border is only visible in the first few passes for me.

This was about 100 passes in and wasnt clearing up at all. Some areas that are completely clean in wider shots were still looking like they had only 1 or 2 passes. Ill see what happens with the solver and report back.

2022-11-23, 11:19:56
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think we will need to check the scene. Could you please contact us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and attach it?

2022-11-23, 12:02:30
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think we will need to check the scene. Could you please contact us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and attach it?

I can, the scene is pretty huge. Will you need all the textures? Itll run into the high single digits of gigabytes.

2022-11-23, 13:17:13
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We accept up to something like 99 GB, so if upload speed is not an issue for you, feel free to upload the full version.
If you wish, you can also optimize/strip the scene but please make sure that the issue is still reproducible.

2022-11-23, 13:27:08
Reply #9

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We accept up to something like 99 GB, so if upload speed is not an issue for you, feel free to upload the full version.
If you wish, you can also optimize/strip the scene but please make sure that the issue is still reproducible.

Ok sure, ill get these wider renders out of the way and see what i can get to you guys over the weekend. Thanks

2022-11-23, 13:29:15
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Appreciate your feedback as always. Thank you too!