Author Topic: Problem with UVW mapping  (Read 1128 times)

2022-11-11, 06:43:29

Salmaasa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am having a problem with texturing. The map looks distorted. I tried UVW unwrapping. The checkered map looks fine. But the actual texture is distorted. How can I fix this? I have never used UVW unwrapping before. I might be doing something wrong.
Thank you!

2022-11-11, 09:42:38
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did you check if a) your material has triplanar nodes, or b) your textures are set on different mapping channel?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-11, 12:24:36
Reply #2

Salmaasa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you check if a) your material has triplanar nodes, or b) your textures are set on different mapping channel?
I didn’t know about triplanar nodes before. I used here and it definitely gives a better result. Thank you so much!

2022-11-11, 13:54:50
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Proper UV unwrap is in fact superior on models like yours and therefore it should be prioritized over triplanar, but if latter is giving you better results, then why not, you can use it as well :]

2022-11-11, 14:00:55
Reply #4

Salmaasa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Proper UV unwrap is in fact superior on models like yours and therefore it should be prioritized over triplanar, but if latter is giving you better results, then why not, you can use it as well :]
Yes. It worked better for a particular map. But does not give overall better output. I should try something else with unwrapping. I can't figure out why it looks fine as checker map, but not with the actual.

2022-11-11, 15:44:30
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Can you show how unwrapped UVs  looks?

2022-11-11, 16:34:00
Reply #6

Salmaasa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you show how unwrapped UVs  looks?
Sorry I didn’t understand. Please excuse my inexperience.

2022-11-11, 16:57:59
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Add unwrap UVW modifier on the model, open UV editor window and take a screenshot like this.

2022-11-17, 05:42:16
Reply #8

Salmaasa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Add unwrap UVW modifier on the model, open UV editor window and take a screenshot like this.
Sorry I was offline for a few days because of a family emergency. The distorted map problem was kind of solved. But there is still a problem. You can see in the attachment that the map is inconsistent. The unaltered version of the model had seams in this pattern. Then I applied a uvw mapping clear modifier and converted it to editable poly to create my own seam. But in the end, the texture seems to follow the initial seams. I feel like I am missing some of the steps.

2022-11-17, 09:59:32
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Make sure you are using the same map channel in your UVW modifier and the bitmap. (see screenshot)

For quick texturing you can also use the Corona Triplanar Map and forget about unwrapping - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Triplanar+Map
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-17, 10:10:22
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The distorted map problem was kind of solved. But there is still a problem. You can see in the attachment that the map is inconsistent. The unaltered version of the model had seams in this pattern. Then I applied a uvw mapping clear modifier and converted it to editable poly to create my own seam. But in the end, the texture seems to follow the initial seams. I feel like I am missing some of the steps.

It seems that is not a mapping issue, but a shading problem. It's hard to tell what's exactly going on, it could be shadow terminator, or black highlights issue, or something else. Try to subdivide the mesh and see if artifacts get less visible. Also try to isolate the object and render it without anything else in the scene, see if that helps to identify the issue.