Author Topic: Good Laptop for working with Corona  (Read 3025 times)

2022-08-04, 08:51:38

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Guys,
im going to travel for a while and need a good laptop for working with corona. Normally I pass the 64gb in the very beginning of my projects, so the question is if there is a good laptop to buy or is this not possible in this case? Most of the laptops are just having max 64 gb of ram. Any advices?

Cheers
Christian
« Last Edit: 2022-08-04, 09:10:04 by studiobasler »

2022-08-04, 09:57:16
Reply #1

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you working with C4D or max? If its Cinema then a macbookpro would be my choice. My old one from 2019 has 64gb RAM - but of course it costs quite a premium

2022-08-04, 09:59:09
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The new Intel Alder-Lake HX based laptops feature up to 4 DIMMs, so they can be slotted with 128GB. (but there is catch... it's DDR5 and DDR5 in 128GB Alder-Lake config runs on much lower frequency...)

The HX laptops are few and fairly recent, and run the gamut from high-end gaming machines (Asus Rog, Dell Alienware, MSI GS, etc.. ) to work-stations (Dell Precision, HP Z-book, MSI Creator, Lenovo P,...).
Only some of those have the choice of 4 DIMMs and thus 128GB, and those few (like Dell Precision for example) only offer so in very expensive packages this year (Dell charges almost 2000 bucks for it alone because they made proprietary form-factor and will only sell normal version later this year who know when).

In short, it's expensive thing right now in this generation, I would settle for 64GB. Corona team is making out-of-core bitmaps caching right now for this version so that will save some memory on big projects but yes I know, 128 is super convenient.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-07, 11:46:31
Reply #3

studiobasler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok didnt know that they are working on this. thank you for this input. will be interestingto know what this will save at the end. i found one laptop from schenker, there you can have 128 gb of ram and it seems to be a good quality but just want to know what you guys are using, my problem is that i will travel a lot in the next month and also have to produce a lot of work with corona, also big projects so i need a solution to make shure everything works as i would be in my home studio... and yeah im working with Cinema4D.

2022-08-09, 21:19:43
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Shenker is one of many brands that use openly available OEM chassis from Clevo. So it's not from the scratch build like you get from big brands (Dell, Lenovo,.. ).

They're great value which is then offset by somewhat cheaper look and build. But from functional point, zero issues.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-10-01, 18:19:55
Reply #5

Mettigel Hawaii

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bought a Schenker XMG Apex 15 in 2020 Ryzen9 3900, Geforce 2070, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD.
I am not sure wheter I was doing something wrong inside Cinema4d / Corona...but the way I used it for small to medium size scenes I had huge issues with overheating. It kept crashing at some scenes all the time, so I lost a lot of time and nerves trying to finish my projects. And at some point, maybe 1 year ago, when the laptop was 1 year old, it also started crashing when using only simple apps like internet browsers, Youtube, ect.

Except the crashing troubles the Apex15 feels very cheap regarding the materials used and also it's loud.

From my exlerience I would not recommand this kind of laptop for Rendering.

2022-10-02, 18:06:05
Reply #6

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I purchased the 2021 Asus Rog Strix Scar (AMD) after owning the Gigabyte Aero 15 (intel).

The Asus has the 5850HX, 64GB RAM, 3080RTX, solid performance so far I even use it outside since I'm usually on the go and its fairly solid. I was worried about the 64GB limitation at first but I'm doing more interior renders these days so 64GB has been enough for me for the past 12 months. But hopefully as @Juraj mentioned when the out-of-core bitmap update is released this should be great for some larger exterior renders.

So far don't really have any issues with it, never overheats and I'm often rendering 8-12 hours per day (or overnight) so thumbs up. Actually coming from an intel laptop I have to say the fans on the AMD are much more pleasant to listen to, they have a quiet hum where as my older intel had a high pitch whistle which used to drive me insane. In fact if I'm not on power I just use silent mode and its very quiet (and strangely not that much slower than 'Turbo'), and if I'm just browsing like now or watching a movie its dead silent (0-RPM on the fans currently). I can't confirm if intel still has that whistle noise since I don't have a new gen intel laptop but curious to hear others experience on this note.

To reflect upon the last 12 months I would say I really wish I had waited for the Lenovo Legion 7. The Asus lacks a webcam, SD card and a few little features I miss from a Workstation tailored machine compared to a Gaming machine. Otherwise I think as @Juraj mentioned there are lots of good laptops out currently, my top 3 picks would be the Lenovo Legion, MSI Raider & Asus Rog Strix Scar (in that order).
« Last Edit: 2022-10-02, 18:11:32 by James Vella »

2022-10-02, 20:53:54
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
my top 3 picks would be the Lenovo Legion, MSI Raider & Asus Rog Strix Scar (in that order).

Wholly agree. If you can stomach the kind of look they have and the display is right for you, these are very solid choices at least when CPU cooling & power management are concerned.