Author Topic: Creating animation from rendered frames  (Read 2188 times)

2022-05-23, 13:26:10

MP

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I will keep this short: I made a TyFlow animation of the company logo for social media purposes. It consists of 60 frames, rendered in sequence.
The issue I have is, after trying out 3 software suits and 4 online free video editors, I just can't find an easy way to compile them into a video. I have spent some days on Google of course, there are numerous ways to do this but in some software the images load as 5 second duration, in some trimming means deleting half the video, etc.

How do you guys compile a video from rendered sequential frames? Can 3ds Max do it? Just looking for something hassle free if possible, thank you.

2022-05-23, 14:09:02
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Chaos Player would let you do this as a very simple and straightforward solution. For more sophistication, the free Davinci Resolve would also let you do this too with a full suite of video editing capabilities.

I am not sure how something would end up with 5 seconds, as the common fps rates should be 24 or 30 fps, resulting in this being 2 to 2 and a half seconds long. Might help if you let us know what software you already tried :)

You could do it in 3ds Max but it is not recommended (you'd have to play back the animation on a plane and render that out to an mp4, but that's going to be bad for quality, and for controllability of the output in terms of bitrates, compression amounts, etc.).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-05-23, 14:27:09
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I use Davinci resolve. It's free.

It's not super simple, but I got the hang of it quite quickly.

If you want a really simple solution, just load the frames into Photoshop and export them as a video file.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-05-23, 16:51:33
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I use VirtualDub - dead simple, yet powerfull enough for my needs.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-05-24, 08:04:30
Reply #4

gleelash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, I have DaVinci installed, making the frame duration shorten created gaps between frames in the timeline. But I didn't ask for a tutorial on it, I just didn't handle the first use of DaVinci and that's on me.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look more into DaVinci and this should smooth out my experience.

2022-05-24, 13:34:23
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The only "trick" with Davinci is to remember to set the fps for the project before importing the image sequence. Since it is aimed at movies, it may default to 24fps, which is not normally how people treat their 3D renders (usually 30fps). Other than that it's pretty straightforward if all you are doing is loading the image sequence, then delivering to a video format :)

2022-05-24, 22:47:11
Reply #6

gleelash

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great tip Tom, thank you! Although to my inexperienced eyes so far Davinci can't load my sequence...in sequence. Files named 1 to 60 get inported as 1,2,3,4,5,9,8,6,7 etc...I manually re-aranged them. I'll get the hang of it though!

2022-05-24, 22:57:12
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Very odd, they should all come in as a single image sequence and not as individual files. Go to the Media page, browse in the file explorer there in Resolve to INSIDE the folder where the sequence is stored, and the content will show as a sequence, which you then drag to the pool (and then swap to Edit and drag from the pool to the timeline). Also, while in Media, check the hamburger menu and ensure “Show Individual Frames” is unchecked, otherwise it will still show as a list of stills in there instead of a single sequence.

Only other thought is be sure the frames are numeric by having leading zeroes, ie you don't want to end up with 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4 etc. so the number should be at least 01, 02, 03,...10,11... unless you are getting into hundreds of frames then be sure to have 001, 002, 003,.... and so on :)

2022-05-24, 23:01:17
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW it is possible in the Media page to be outside the folder with the sequence and drag and drop the folder into the pool, but what I found (at least in the past) was that this did import the contents of the folder as image sequences but somehow did not respect the alpha stored in PNG file sequences, which is why I developed the workflow above of going into the folder to drag in the sequence. If you don't have PNG with alpha you should be fine, but then it could trip you up in the future ;) So I made a habit of doing it this particular way.