Author Topic: Xeon/Multiprocesor low perfomance  (Read 2610 times)

2014-04-12, 17:56:14

makco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dear Corona Team,

I wanted to share an unexpected result we are having with the rendering speed and stability of corona with some of our PCs.
We are rendering a quite heavy scene on our render farm; recently we acquired a boxxpro render box with dual xeon 2667 processors. Initially compared to our 3930K i7 this renderbox perform about twice as fast in some vray scenes.
However when we started to render this corona scene on this boxx, the results are very strange as it takes longer than the i7s... and today we noticed it got hung up on parcing the scene for 6 hours...Im attaching a capture screen of the render manager, and the corona render settings for reference.

Im not sure this is a specific corona issue, or what to think of it.

Very happy with Corona nevertheless.

M.

2014-04-12, 19:19:05
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
How's the RAM usage? is it possible that you just ran out of RAM?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-04-12, 20:10:45
Reply #2

makco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's likely, as it is maxed out on the task manager... It has the same 32 on ram as the i7s, but could it be that the dual xeon needs more ram?

M.

2014-04-12, 20:44:35
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
only few megabytes more. What was the difference between RAM usage for i7 and xeons?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-04-12, 22:43:44
Reply #4

makco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i7 showed 30.4, and xeon 31.9

2014-04-12, 23:15:02
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, that is not a drastic difference. You can for example set internal resolution to 1 in VFB tab to decrease memory usage.