Author Topic: Lack of realism  (Read 5029 times)

2021-09-05, 11:50:30

a35i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys, hope you are all in good condition, Anyway I am a new corona user, I was using Lumion for the past few years, then when I finished my university I decided to enter the photo-realistic industry, no further talk this is my render, and I feel like it's not what I really wanted to be!
I feel of lack realism!
so if you can point the points that can help me improve my renders and make them more realistic I would be so grateful, thank you.

2021-09-06, 09:27:19
Reply #1

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Imagine I handed this image to you and asked, "What doesn't look real in this image; how could I change those things to make them look more real?"

How would you answer? What would you say doesn't look real in the image?

2021-09-07, 08:11:34
Reply #2

a35i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, First of all, I feel like there is something missing out of the materials! It doesn't give me that good realistic feeling! Maybe I have to play with the material parameters for a little bit more, also the lighting and the environment in general! maybe i need to use HDRi to give a more natural sense to the eyes.
But the problem is that I don't know where is the exact problem in such a case! I mean like for the material parameters! what is missing on my materials to be more realisitc!?
Thank you anyway.

2021-09-07, 13:50:40
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But fundamentally, it's lighting.
First make it look good using only "Clay" material.

2021-09-07, 13:53:41
Reply #4

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
^this

2021-09-07, 14:03:36
Reply #5

a35i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But fundamentally, it's lighting.
First make it look good using only "Clay" material.

Why you chose "clay material" as a first step!.
and do you mean using clay material in the whole objects?!

2021-09-07, 14:55:51
Reply #6

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Because it's "neutral" and work at hand is to "enlighten" a vision, which starts with just lighting/shading. Then gradually builds up. Basically it's like when making an illustration, first act is to focus on finding tones & zones creating contrast, defining lines, form, depth...

Yes. And only after when you like what you see, you move on to "surface/materialize" it.

Otherwise, simple mind gets messy... lost.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-07, 14:59:12 by burnin »

2021-09-07, 15:11:44
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I wouldn't agree that it's mostly a lighting at fault here. While obviously the lighting can be improved, but fundamentaly you can only make it more artistically pleasing, but not more realistic. Actually it's pretty hard to make unrealistic exterior lighting in modern renderers, unless you'll do some stupid things, like start placing lights in the sky.

What i find wrong in your render, is 1. models, 2. materials, 3. texturing, 4. tonemapping. Not in a particular order. I don't have time to go into details, but i'll try to give you some key points aboutneach area.

1. models are too simple and lack of details. All corners are unrealisticly sharp, edges are too perfectly straight, there's zero randomness in placement. Everything's flat, straight and sharp.
2. materials are too simple and unrealistic. It looks like everything except for glass and carpaint, has the same plain roughness value. It looks like you applied the same material to everything and just swapped diffuse and bump maps. Cars looks particularly bad - is that automatic conversion from Vray, or scanline?
3. Where's dirt, weathering, stains, imperfections? The house has been built on conveyor belt 5 seconds ago?
4. the image looks too flat and uninteresting, everything has about the same brightness level, there's nowhere to rest an eye. Nothing catches viewers attention for longer than couple seconds.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-09-07, 19:41:07
Reply #8

a35i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wouldn't agree that it's mostly a lighting at fault here. While obviously the lighting can be improved, but fundamentaly you can only make it more artistically pleasing, but not more realistic. Actually it's pretty hard to make unrealistic exterior lighting in modern renderers, unless you'll do some stupid things, like start placing lights in the sky.

What i find wrong in your render, is 1. models, 2. materials, 3. texturing, 4. tonemapping. Not in a particular order. I don't have time to go into details, but i'll try to give you some key points aboutneach area.

1. models are too simple and lack of details. All corners are unrealisticly sharp, edges are too perfectly straight, there's zero randomness in placement. Everything's flat, straight and sharp.
2. materials are too simple and unrealistic. It looks like everything except for glass and carpaint, has the same plain roughness value. It looks like you applied the same material to everything and just swapped diffuse and bump maps. Cars looks particularly bad - is that automatic conversion from Vray, or scanline?
3. Where's dirt, weathering, stains, imperfections? The house has been built on conveyor belt 5 seconds ago?
4. the image looks too flat and uninteresting, everything has about the same brightness level, there's nowhere to rest an eye. Nothing catches viewers attention for longer than couple seconds.

Thanks for the points!
But can you give a reference for each point!
I mean i use revit for modeling, how can i make my lines not perfectly straight or randome!.
For the materials, i tried to play with the parameters, but idk i cant get a reasonable output for sorry.
And if you can give me a reference of renders, that can lead me to try fixing my render to not be flat or boring.
Thanks again.

2021-09-07, 19:45:12
Reply #9

a35i

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Because it's "neutral" and work at hand is to "enlighten" a vision, which starts with just lighting/shading. Then gradually builds up. Basically it's like when making an illustration, first act is to focus on finding tones & zones creating contrast, defining lines, form, depth...

Yes. And only after when you like what you see, you move on to "surface/materialize" it.

Otherwise, simple mind gets messy... lost.
Got it, thanks, ill try it and will get back to you.

2021-09-08, 19:24:49
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I mean i use revit for modeling, how can i make my lines not perfectly straight or randome!.

I have zero experience with revit, but i can tell you how i would do this in 3ds Max. I would add chamfers on all sharp edges, then subdivide the mesh and add small amount of noise to make things more interseting and less flat. But then again, i have no clue whether this is applicable in revit or not.

For the materials, i tried to play with the parameters, but idk i cant get a reasonable output for sorry.
And if you can give me a reference of renders, that can lead me to try fixing my render to not be flat or boring.

There's only so much you can do with plain material without textures. If you want good materials, you need to add good textures. Most materials should have at least diffuse, roughness, bump/normal and/or displacement maps. Use layered materials to add dirt and weathering layers, utilize CoronaAO and grunge textures to mask them. If you're not sure how to use those features, try to watch some tutorials on youtube, or take some archviz courses. I doubt if you would be able to lift your skills just from asking questions in the forums alone, because not much people have time or will for teaching here. We can give you general guidance, but you'll have to learn on your own.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-09-08, 22:34:01
Reply #11

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Good advice being offered here, let's see some renders mate(!)

2021-09-09, 15:52:17
Reply #12

philipbonum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A lot of good tips here!

I would also like to point a finger or two on the lighting.
I do not quite understand how this scene is lit so to help you better you might want to show us an overview of your scene showing all the lights in the scene.

Also, use real-life references for the mood your trying to create, this will help you a lot. If you do have a reference image, attach this as well.

2021-09-10, 00:29:19
Reply #13

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
1. Is it a nighttime or daytime scene? The building is too bright and the sky is too dark for it to be either.
2. Why is there a Porsche and a Lamborghini parked outside what looks like a moderately priced hotel, in an open-air parking lot? I doubt owners of high-end sports cars would 1. park their cars outside 2. be at a place like this in the first place.
3. car materials need improvement; rear lights, tires, rims
4. parking lines are too uniform; they should appear faded, dirty, etc.
5. foliage is fine(?) but colors are too dark, too saturated
6. UV mapping on curb is broken
7. curb is low poly
8. wood is flat, lacks detail, lacks contrast, lacks color variation; wood grain on panel on front of building is too large.
9. basically all architectural geo needs to be chamfered or needs CoronaRoundEdges texmap
10. lighting is flat; left and right side of the building are almost equally lit
11. noise throughout the image; maybe light sources are overbright in the scene and being turned down in the LightMix; use the denoiser.
« Last Edit: 2021-09-10, 10:10:37 by cjwidd »

2021-09-10, 09:21:08
Reply #14

balatschaka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The first things to fix here should be the composition and framing. A well placed camera will help you develop a connection/love to this object.