Author Topic: Distance texture with opacity is a bit buggy  (Read 1638 times)

2021-08-26, 15:10:21

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi,

Hopefully the screenshot is clear enough: when I have an opacity map plugged in via a coronadistance node it works fine, but if the object that should be invisible intersects with another glass-like object, it is visible in the glass....

Not the outcome I wanted, but not sure how to deal with this now?

Is this expected behavior, or a minor bug?

Corona 8, daily July 28

Thanks!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-08-31, 15:33:28
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
At a guess, it's expected - what object is the Distance From set to? I am thinking that distance is different in the reflection in some way. Also not sure why Corona Distance is used here, as that "boolean" object should always be invisible, so you could just set it not to render, or at least paint it with regular opacity without mapping such that it is always completely invisible?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-08-31, 15:49:08
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
To clarify:

I'm not using a Boolean at all.

The distance object is the invisible object (red line pointing to it from the word "distance").

The error is in the green square to the left - the white waves shouldn't be visible in that object....

The green objects are just regular glass-like materials, no distance or boolean added to these.

I would say for sure this isn't expected behavior at all.... which makes me think my explanation wasn't quite right, sorry.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-08-31, 15:55:14
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Might be worth sending in the scene :)

Ok got it now, I think! So the opacity of the wave object is being controlled by distance to the "weird shape" object, and where the wave object intersects the square, the wave object opacity of 0 is affecting the green glass of the square, making it invisible. Coplanar faces is my first thought, that the wave object top face is completely in line with the green square top face, thus the engine does not know which material to render and if it renders the wave object, you get this result.

Could also test by just having the wave object with a solid opacity of 0 - it won't render as desired of course, but would isolate whether this is anything to do with the Distance map, or just to do with the opacity of intersecting objects.

Quick solution, just don't have the wave object intersecting the square object at all (slice off the geo of the wave object). Meantime, to explore more, the scene would be helpful, if it turns out that faces are not coplanar :) Thanks!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us