Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 149470 times)

2021-08-03, 01:22:49
Reply #30

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Great thing is now I can finally use old roughness maps as designed.

Just want to echo this - it's really nice not having to invert maps for glossiness, especially with the invert vs. curves invert issues that was present awhile back; not sure if it's been corrected.

2021-08-03, 10:57:28
Reply #31

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
wait, what about decals? Was this added already, how did I miss that?
There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-08-03, 11:16:06
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Great thing is now I can finally use old roughness maps as designed.

Just want to echo this - it's really nice not having to invert maps for glossiness, especially with the invert vs. curves invert issues that was present awhile back; not sure if it's been corrected.

Hmm, i didn't notice any difference - expand advanced rollout in material, change roughness/glossines mode and contract the rollout, takes about the same time as expand output rollout in bitmap, check inverted and contract the rollout. It's a bit different if you have predominantly one type of microsurface maps and set your defaults accordingly, but i think that most 3ds Max users has mixed amount of roughness and glossiness maps.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-08-03, 18:24:19
Reply #33

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Hmm, i didn't notice any difference - expand advanced rollout in material, change roughness/glossines mode and contract the rollout, takes about the same time as expand output rollout in bitmap, check inverted and contract the rollout. It's a bit different if you have predominantly one type of microsurface maps and set your defaults accordingly, but i think that most 3ds Max users has mixed amount of roughness and glossiness maps.

What I mean is that it's nice being able to plug in a roughness map directly, no fuss.

2021-08-03, 20:39:41
Reply #34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I know what you mean, but unless you have only roughness, or only glossiness maps in your library, you still need to change the mode occasionaly and it's not easier, nor harder than it was before, it's just controls now are in other place. Nothing has changed in that regard.

2021-08-03, 22:06:50
Reply #35

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
This issue made it more complicated for me, at times, but not sure if it has been resolved.

2021-08-03, 22:58:12
Reply #36

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This issue made it more complicated for me, at times, but not sure if it has been resolved.

Wasnt there some discrepancy between how the inverted image looked in photoshop vs in max?

2021-08-03, 22:59:33
Reply #37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

There might or might not be something done, but sadly because some of the users cannot understand that a feature might get postponed when unexpected complications occur, we will generally announce only features that are fully done ;)

Very much looking forward to heavily beta testing it if it makes it into the dailies. Ive got such a need for this over the next few months and currently im having to make gigantic layered materials.

2021-08-04, 00:05:13
Reply #38

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wait, what about decals? Was this added already, how did I miss that?

Yeah, I feared that would happen damn.

If you ever open an "insider" program with a 0 tolerance for bitching and tantrums, count me in.

2021-08-04, 02:38:15
Reply #39

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Really want to participate in any alpha preview that comes up for tonemapping - hands down my most anticipated feature.

2021-08-04, 10:02:12
Reply #40

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that something has changed in terms of daily builds, we will still get new features to test as soon as they will be ready. What's changed though, is the team's attitude towards public roadmap - they are more reluctant to anounce planned features now, due to constant rage from certain users on the forum.

2021-08-04, 10:34:19
Reply #41

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
That feels like a 'minority practice, majority's burden' kinda thing

2021-08-04, 11:44:17
Reply #42

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes indeed, but try to put yourself in devs' shoes, how would you feel by having to read and address constant attacks about failed expectations, slow development, damage from merging with Chaos group, etc. It would be really sad and disappointing, should the team cease releasing public daily builds and would leave testing for selected trusty insiders. Instead they decided to tame expectations by limiting release of information on the roadmap. Maybe that's even better - now we'll more frequently get pleasant surprises along the way.

2021-08-04, 14:39:51
Reply #43

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes indeed, but try to put yourself in devs' shoes, how would you feel by having to read and address constant attacks about failed expectations, slow development, damage from merging with Chaos group, etc. It would be really sad and disappointing, should the team cease releasing public daily builds and would leave testing for selected trusty insiders. Instead they decided to tame expectations by limiting release of information on the roadmap. Maybe that's even better - now we'll more frequently get pleasant surprises along the way.

Its probably a good idea to maintain a list of features that are on the dev radar and then jusct cross them off as they get released rather than promising  per release.
That way at least users can see if an idea is being considered before posting the request.

2021-08-04, 15:14:38
Reply #44

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
We tried, but the thing is that no matter how much we stress it, some people just cannot read. We just cannot announce "we would like to try these things for v8" becasue of this :/. Still even after something is on shortlist the continuing demand may play a role if we need to make a decision what to boot from the next release, so dont hesitate to support your favorite feature.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)