Author Topic: Chaos cosmos & Chaos Cloud - Corona users are left behind?  (Read 6805 times)

2021-02-25, 15:59:00

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there.

I can't help but to be disappointed that Chaos cloud is still not available for Corona users.

Two YEARS ago I inquired here in the forum and the answer was this:
There is a reason it was renamed to Chaos Cloud from VRay Cloud ;)

What happened? Is it available to Corona users or not?

Will Chaos cosmos be available for us too or not?

2021-02-25, 16:38:09
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona does not currently include Chaos Cosmos. But take heart, we are working to add Cosmos to Corona in the future, so it can be expected to happen once we have greater interoperability working!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-02-25, 22:13:54
Reply #2

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
I have to agree, the Vray side of the rendering Engine from Chaos, is strives ahead of Corona in innovation and releases, and add ons.
They are owned by the same company, you would think there would be so sort of continuity.

The silence from the Chaos on Corona is deafening sometimes.
Dell Precision T7910

2021-02-26, 03:49:38
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, remember we are Chaos - so everything we tell you about Corona is coming from Chaos :) And there's a pretty continual stream of news about Corona from us (and there is no "them" here, it's not an "us and them", we are all one).

As to news on when this or that will be integrated with Corona, we only like to talk about it once we have some date where it can probably happen. If we take Cosmos as an example, we need to prioritize and we don't want to halt what is a large number of new features already in progress for Corona, e.g. completing the new Physical material first is natural before adding support for what is a PBR-based material library. And since we are focused on part A of that process, we don't want to speculate on dates for part B or start hyping up part B while there's something that needs to happen first before we can fully get our teeth into the development of part B.

2021-02-26, 15:56:30
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona does not currently include Chaos Cosmos. But take heart, we are working to add Cosmos to Corona in the future, so it can be expected to happen once we have greater interoperability working!

Any comments about Chaos Cloud?

...we need to prioritize and we don't want to halt what is a large number of new features already in progress for Corona, e.g. completing the new Physical material first is natural before adding support for what is a PBR-based material library. And since we are focused on part A of that process, we don't want to speculate on dates for part B or start hyping up part B while there's something that needs to happen first before we can fully get our teeth into the development of part B.

Tom, I don't want to sound pedantic or anything, but making Cosmos and Cloud available to Corona users doesn't sound like it would take much of someone's time. They sound like they're almost standalone developments and it would be a matter of including them with our license.
Am I wrong?

2021-02-26, 16:10:21
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Vray costs $700/year for the whole ecosystem.
Corona costs $360/year for a fraction of the services and development.

I don't get it.

2021-02-26, 16:13:39
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, you are wrong, yes :) There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes that needs to happen for these things to integrate. You can bet that if it was simple, it would be done quick!

All we can say at the moment is that we definitely have it in mind for Corona to be part of the Chaos ecosystem - it's not that Cosmos and Cloud are out there and no-one has thought about what that means for Corona users and what can be done and how it can be done. However, we will only share news once things are far enough along not to be speculative and uncertain, and that will only be once certain other things have happened first (e.g. the new PBR material as mentioned). So, for now, the message is to look forward to good news in the future!

2021-03-01, 01:30:05
Reply #7

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Personally, I prefer that Corona developers focus on the main basic features that are missing before jumping to those fancy stuff.
what I mean is that with - enough -money  I can get any 3d model I want and I can render online on any render farm, but if a very crucial feature in the renderer is missing  I can't do anything about it.
Proper PBR workflow, Better tone mapping, Deep EXR , Corona Clipper, Crypttomatte, Supporting VRScans, and many many more features are much more important IMO s than few 3d models and another option for online rendering.
Corona team is doing great with catching up with all these missing features ( just look at the V6.0 release for example ).so I prefer they continue spending their resources on this.
Remember that Vray came to this after many years of development while Corona is still -relatively -young and needs to fill the missing gap before jumping to those additional things.
just my 2 cents.
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2021-03-01, 11:59:32
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Supporting VRScans

This is probably dead.. it's been 3 or 4 years. I wonder if the project isn't dead for Vray as well..

:- /
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-03-01, 13:38:40
Reply #9

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Supporting VRScans

This is probably dead.. it's been 3 or 4 years. I wonder if the project isn't dead for Vray as well..

:- /
They are adding to it slowly yes, but it's not dead yet.
They have just recently(2-3 weeks ago) added  120 new scans from Foglizzo - after a year of silence to be fair :-) -
The library doesn't cover Archviz every day needs yet, but for automotive and products it's great.
Also one important thing is that, vrscans isn't just the public  library that everyone can download , they also provide scaning service too which is great for materials with complex reflection, holographic surfaces and  where bidirectional texture function is needed.
I know It's not critical feature for everyone, but it would be nice to have.

2021-03-01, 14:09:19
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would have loved VrScan, asked for it many times but looks like they consider Licencing to be the biggest issue. It just went nowhere. The whole Corona/Vray interoperability didn't move anywhere past the first basic material/lights, I don't know what stopped the process.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-03-01, 15:51:57
Reply #11

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I was also quite into VRScans for a while but the thing seemed to pretty much die the last couple of years.

Thanks for pointing out there is still some smoke left Mr.Max :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-03-01, 17:06:25
Reply #12

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The whole Corona/Vray interoperability didn't move anywhere past the first basic material/lights, I don't know what stopped the process.
I've noticed this too! it is nowhere where you would expect it to be after all these years.
I read this official comment on the Chaos youtube channel recently:
"Corona Renderer will be rebranded and part of the Chaos ecosystem. The future versions of Corona are still in development, so look forward to good news in the future."
Not sure how much that will affect the overall interoperability tho.

2021-03-01, 17:32:51
Reply #13

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was also quite into VRScans for a while but the thing seemed to pretty much die the last couple of years.

It is not dead! We regularly send samples to them for digitizing, two or three times a year. So far, VrScans are superior to any other scanning solution we tested (and we tested all the major ones).

We also collect various samples to send to Chaos for adding to the library. The last update on the carpaints was all based on paints provided by us. However, this takes some time on our end as well.
Anyway, the VrScans are very far from dead! ;)
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2021-03-02, 09:44:45
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I read this official comment on the Chaos youtube channel recently:
"Corona Renderer will be rebranded and part of the Chaos ecosystem. The future versions of Corona are still in development, so look forward to good news in the future."

Do you remember where exactly did you see that statement? It sounds pretty worrying TBH.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures