Author Topic: Default Corona Mat Reflection Value is 0 - Why?  (Read 2591 times)

2020-12-10, 00:48:13

aldu

• Users
    • View Profile
So I did a quick google for this but couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Why does a default corona material, when first created, come in with zero reflection?

Unless I'm making something that needs a super specific look with zero reflection, I always have to change this for every single material I make. Wouldn't it be better to default the value to 1, and on the odd occasion it needs to be different, change it manually? As I use as close to a PBR workflow as I can be, all my materials need to have a reflection value of 1 and its getting really annoying having to change it every single time I make a new mat. Is there something I'm missing?

If this has been addressed before, is there anyway to change the default setting to be 1 instead of 0? A preference file somewhere?

Thanks for any help!
Cheers

2020-12-10, 09:16:13
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There will be new material but same discussion :- ). I believe there is some concern among devs that people would apply it to clay renders ("override" mat) and such quick renders and they would quickly become "not quick renders" and people might complain.|

But for actual renderings, it should always be on fully.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-22, 01:14:00
Reply #2

aldu

• Users
    • View Profile
Cheers for the reply Juraj. I find it really weird that it defaults to zero only because of people who use the override material option function. If that is the case, they only need to make one 'Clay' Material and changing the reflection to zero for one single material is surely easier than having to change potentially 100's of individual materials later on.

It just feels strange that Corona, a renderer which is tries to simplify settings as much as they can, would have a value by default that is not correct for the majority of situations.

2020-12-22, 19:03:52
Reply #3

ynotsop

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can modify any corona material/map, save it to a new material library (.mat), right click on it in the material/map browser and choose Context Menu Options - Show material library. Now every time you right click on the slate material editor grid your modified material library will show up and you can quickly choose your material/map. A further step is saving all corona maps and materials linked with controllers which is how I have it set up so I don't have to plug these later on when I need linked parameters between materials/maps. This comes in handy particularly when working with atlases.