Author Topic: Probably a fool question but I'm a bit lost - Supported CPU's  (Read 8525 times)

2014-03-17, 19:36:50
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, they don't perform that bad, a q6600 it's a 25% in performance than a 2600k.

I am confused by this statement, since it's not grammatically correct it could have few meanings.

If you mean that a:  Core2quad q6600 is mere 25perc. performance of 2600k i7, than you are correct. It's more about 30perc., which is really really low, since
2600k is very old and slow as well by now, I keep the last one in office but I will donate it to someone.

But you are right, I didn't say they are bad computers :- ) Even old pentium4 would still be great for most tasks, I only meant it as rendering performance per watt price which I find
very inneffective. Just the "render-farm" aspect, nothing else. I am quite happy computers nowaday have quite long moral life-span, which saves good money for its value.

If upgrading HW is hard (it shouldn't!) it's time to increase prices :- ) No honestly, people under-price so heavily, imho Archviz at the moment is almost like high-end photography, you need to spend great deal on money for HW and SW, but in return you make quite a lot money as well. It's tough balance.

Sorry for the off-topic, I can't help myself :- ) Just rambling, can be easily ignored, I won't mind
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-18, 22:45:21
Reply #16

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree with you in all the points, even with the point on raising prices.

Right now we don't do nearly any arch/viz because that business in spain is more or less destroyed :P

If you want to donate your 2600K i will receive it very pleasently, even with sending charges XD

About the q6600, yes, I meant that.

In spain, anyways, raising prices is hard, when you work with agencys it's something inmoral, I will put an example here, i received a quote petition from a client, I prepared a quote around 6000€, we do everything, then a few after that I had the opportunity to see my clients quote to the final client (remember... We do everything) ... Their quote was 12000€! And we didn't get the job because it was too expensive :P

Thats the way spain works, you can charge a fair amount for your job, the intermediate clients are getting the money :P

And that if you don't think in the amount of freelancers and small studios that don't bother about licenses :P

Hard time down here...

One more time, I agree with you in all things...

Cheers.

2014-03-18, 23:25:05
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, the thing about agencies is something to just live with. We also work on some projects with (well, "through" is better term) agencies instead of direct clients. Sometimes they bring interesting client you otherwise wouldn't get, because the end-client wants bigger package (like full branding) in one way so. You can't really get to you that they will make a lot of money on top of your head, it's just how bussiness works :- ) but I understand the un-easy feeling, we all have that...after all, it's money that could go DIRECTLY to us instead ;- ). But unless one runs agency (like D-Box), instead of studio (no matter how large, even Hayes-D size big) there is that overhead money that isn't going into your pocket. Bummer :- )

The "immoral" aspect is also interesting...in past there were few clients who really told me something in those lines as well. Like I "shouldn't" be charging so much. I felt quite offended...but they are all on ignore list since then (and inside spam folder).

What I find works best for us is to simply try to get 70perc. of clientelle only as direct end-clients. No agency, no "middle-men". It's easiest to charge your full quotes that way, with no compromises (and that doesn't even account for the luxury of honest communication, no barred walls...).

I see that Spain might be tough market, I am from Slovakia and would be nowhere if didn't consider global market.

Well, I wish you good luck :- ) So that you can upgrade soon ! If I won't build some httpc fun pc I'll send the i7 your way atleast.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!