Author Topic: Exposure and tone mapping in Corona's vfb  (Read 3530 times)

2014-03-09, 00:18:58

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm not posting this in bug section, just because i'm not sure if it's a bug or that's how it's intended to work, but all that exposure and tone mapping thing in corona, bugging me quite a while. I did a bunch of tests this evening and things became a little clearer, but there is still few things, that i'd like to know.

1. photographic exposure mode is not adjustable when rendering, is this thing possible to fix?
2. in arbitrary EV mode, original RGB values via right click in vfb, are reported incorrectly, i think. Will it be fixed?
3. wouldn't it be good idea to replace arbitrary EV in UI with common EV values? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-03-09, 20:10:21
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I'm not posting this in bug section, just because i'm not sure if it's a bug or that's how it's intended to work, but all that exposure and tone mapping thing in corona, bugging me quite a while. I did a bunch of tests this evening and things became a little clearer, but there is still few things, that i'd like to know.

1. photographic exposure mode is not adjustable when rendering, is this thing possible to fix?
2. in arbitrary EV mode, original RGB values via right click in vfb, are reported incorrectly, i think. Will it be fixed?
3. wouldn't it be good idea to replace arbitrary EV in UI with common EV values? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

1, This is planned to be fixed. It's just a little more complicated so it takes some time.
2, This is correct, because EV parameter is just part a color mapping, the source values always remain the same.
3, No, it would not. If you do not want to use real world camera settings, you should be able to work with simple light units. So when this value is set to 0, and you create light with intensity of 1, and hover color probe over it, that surface will have value of 1 (there may be slight deviation due to the gamma correction). Or that if you put environment map into environment slot, and render with EV 0, that map will have exact same brightness as when you view it in picture viewer. And if you set it's output amount to 5, it will be 5 times brighter, etc...

2014-03-09, 20:34:02
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
First of all, thanks for answers, Rawalanche.

I would like to clarify more on nr.2 if you don't mind. If you say, that it behaves correctly in arbitrary EV mode, then doesn't that means that behaviour in photographic mode is incorrect? Because reported original RGB values are changing with exposure.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-03-09, 21:17:14
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
First of all, thanks for answers, Rawalanche.

I would like to clarify more on nr.2 if you don't mind. If you say, that it behaves correctly in arbitrary EV mode, then doesn't that means that behaviour in photographic mode is incorrect? Because reported original RGB values are changing with exposure.

Indeed, photographic exposure is solved differently. That is also the reason why it can not be adjusted in realtime. Keymaster has solution for this, but it is a bit more complex so it is gonna take some time before it is implemented :)