Author Topic: win 7 vs win 10 ?  (Read 5780 times)

2020-02-01, 20:29:41

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not really a bug, but...

With the end of win7 support, i'm thinking about upgrading my renderfarm from win7 to win10.

I've done so on one node for testing :
Upgrade, not fresh install : as those servers are oldies and scecifics, i don't dare a fresh install, i may not find drivezrs, so upgrading is safer.

As you can see, DR render seams faster on win7 than on win10... though win10 uses less ram...
Coincidence ?
did somebody made some tests ?

2020-02-01, 20:51:53
Reply #1

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
damn, sooooo slower !!!
If any knows how to make win10 minimalist so it can reach win7 speed... please share.
Already stopped the "search" indexation service.

2020-02-03, 15:17:03
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't have possibility to test this out here, but would be interesting to know - is this difference in performance so big for any computer configuration or it's related to some certain combination of parts?
Also would be nice to know what cause this slowdown and is there any way to rise up render speed with Win 10?

2020-02-03, 19:46:35
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Now this is truly interesting mystery. I am curious...here are my two suggestions, don't do that at same time pls !

1) Set power profile to "high-performance" on Win 10. Disable "Fast-Startup" (not through BIOS...the Windows settings).

2) Download "InSpectre" tool and disable software security mitigations that Intel implemented through microcode in recent year.

Please keep us updated!
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-02-03, 20:51:51
Reply #4

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now this is truly interesting mystery. I am curious...here are my two suggestions, don't do that at same time pls !

1) Set power profile to "high-performance" on Win 10. Disable "Fast-Startup" (not through BIOS...the Windows settings).

2) Download "InSpectre" tool and disable software security mitigations that Intel implemented through microcode in recent year.

Please keep us updated!

Thank you for suggestions!

Manipulations with power settings gave me 4 seconds faster Corona 1.3 Benckmark render - before 1.53min, after 1.49min
After that I've done some changes with "InSpectre" tool and got 1.48min result and my "InSpectre" window looks like this now

2020-02-04, 07:58:30
Reply #5

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-02-04, 08:30:23
Reply #6

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Just my 2 cents:

- Can you show the "Performance" tab of the task manager with "CPU" activated from the Win10 node while running the benchmark?

- And another one for your list: disable FTH, see

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431-windows-enabled-fault-tolerant-heap-for-3dsmax-or-dependent-processes-this-may-have-severe-perform

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-02-09, 15:18:40
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431-windows-enabled-fault-tolerant-heap-for-3dsmax-or-dependent-processes-this-may-have-severe-perform

Ah this crap..

We need to do some compilation of stuff that just doesn't work well in Win 10 stock configuration. Then make a one-click script to run through every installation.
It's hard to keep track off...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-02-10, 17:41:45
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
FTH is caught by Corona's error messaging. But yeah, it is a good idea to disable it nonetheless.

I had a chat with Naxos some time ago, and it seemed that the slowdown could have been related to Windows Update doing things in the background. Hope that's the culprit.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-17, 17:20:46
Reply #9

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just my 2 cents:

- Can you show the "Performance" tab of the task manager with "CPU" activated from the Win10 node while running the benchmark?

Good Luck

here are screenshot from tasks during rendering...
Strange that it is 0% while it is actually rendering (see rays/s)

2020-03-17, 17:30:12
Reply #10

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the 2 not-finished ones are the 2 win10 ones.
Node 17 & node 39

[edit] : node17 & 39 finished at near 26mn, vs 17-18mn for others...

« Last Edit: 2020-03-17, 17:34:41 by Naxos »

2020-03-17, 17:33:40
Reply #11

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
FTH is caught by Corona's error messaging. But yeah, it is a good idea to disable it nonetheless.

I had a chat with Naxos some time ago, and it seemed that the slowdown could have been related to Windows Update doing things in the background. Hope that's the culprit.

i don't think it is that now, but here is the CPU usage process list, if you find something...

2020-03-17, 17:35:20
Reply #12

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Problem is that win7 is dead and i don't want bad stuff to come inside my rfarm...

2020-03-17, 17:55:21
Reply #13

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

here are screenshot from tasks during rendering...
Strange that it is 0% while it is actually rendering (see rays/s)

I cannot see a node running the benchmark, nor the taskmanager with it's performance tab, so I'm not sure why I was quoted here. And ... I cannot see any rays/s stats in your screenshot as well :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-03-17, 18:21:27
Reply #14

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, i read too fast, it is not the benchmark but a regular rendering...

I'll do asap