Author Topic: Tips for creating fly through with moving objects  (Read 3435 times)

2020-01-28, 00:01:24

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone direct me to a good tut showing how to efficiently ti calculate gi for moving objects in a Corona animation?  In vray, I just unchecked reuse irradiance map on my moving objects and GI would calculate on the fly for those objects only without a hit on render times.

Thanks,

V

2020-01-28, 16:31:28
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
With moving objects/lights it is always best to use the "calculate from scratch" option for the UHD Cache. You can also try with "try to load+append", but it may sometimes fail by showing the GI of some object which isn't there any more.
I don't think much more can be said than what we already have here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-01-28, 17:08:08
Reply #2

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Not that this matters, but when we switched to Corona we basically said at the studio we will only treat Corona using Path Tracing + Path Tracing and just pretend that Cache options just don't exists. I find that Corona is just fast enough that we dont look back. I hated dealing with animations and Cache in Vray, so when we came to Corona we just pretended like it was not there haha :)

Good luck on your project.

Dave

2020-01-28, 17:12:13
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
when we came to Corona we just pretended like it was not there haha :)

If you use the "animation" preset of the UHD, you will get MUCH faster rendering of interiors, and there will be no flickering.

2020-01-28, 18:38:53
Reply #4

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback.  Rendering camera only flythroughs are pretty fast.  I can get clean enough renders with only 10 passes.  I guess I'll use Vray for any animations that have moving objects since it seems it would be quicker to set up and render flicker free.

2020-01-28, 19:27:40
Reply #5

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
I think you should try the animation preset of the UHD and see if that works for you before going to Vray for that. But let us know your results.
For us Render time is not as important as quality, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

Dave

2020-01-29, 18:11:51
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback.  Rendering camera only flythroughs are pretty fast.  I can get clean enough renders with only 10 passes.  I guess I'll use Vray for any animations that have moving objects since it seems it would be quicker to set up and render flicker free.
I am afraid 10 passes may not be enough in most cases. It will result in really bad anti-aliasing. I would say something close to 50 is a realistic number, and 100 is often the "ultimate limit". :)

2020-01-29, 18:24:43
Reply #7

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So update...I went the precalculate route and used From File for the frames that had animated objects.  Here's the scene.  Camera is not moving, but ceiling fans are spinning and dof animated.  It worked great. No flickering.  I plan to run another camera tonight. This time the camera will be moving along a path while the fans are rotating.  Quick obvious question.  I have to recalculate UHD for each cam, correct?

2020-01-30, 12:04:53
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So update...I went the precalculate route and used From File for the frames that had animated objects.  Here's the scene.  Camera is not moving, but ceiling fans are spinning and dof animated.  It worked great. No flickering.
Obviously there will be no flickering when "from file" option is used, because the UHD Cache is static for all frames in such case. Just remember that if there is some heavy change in your scene, for example a huge red teapot appears on one frame, and disappears on another, then the UHD Cache will either contain information about that huge red teapot or not. So you can end up with a lot of red GI from a non-existent teapot. But it won't flicker. :)

Quick obvious question.  I have to recalculate UHD for each cam, correct?
Nope. The UHD Cache is just "partly" camera-dependent, and generally it is calculated for the whole scene. So you can use the same UHD Cache for all your cameras.

Generally, in your case, it really does sound like using the "Try to load + append" option is the way to go:
https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648

2020-01-30, 19:35:20
Reply #9

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-02-05, 19:11:18
Reply #10

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I noticed that if I don't precalculate per cam I get slower times.