Author Topic: Parallax mapping option as an alternative for displacement  (Read 16613 times)

2020-02-10, 14:26:14
Reply #15

PastaJackal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I fully agree with Kyle - material/map projection feature would be much more usefull. Paralax might look impressive in demos, but somehow i think you won't find it very usefull in real world scenes, maybe except for animations, where Corona displacement still has much room to improve.
I find these functions pretty closely related to each other. Consider, for example, asphalt, on top of which we want to place a decal with a pothole. The lower coordinate of the pothole is below the level of asphalt, which means that when using displacement, you will have to use a mixture of two height maps in one and apply this material to one mesh. In fact, the absence of parallax mapping negates the flexibility of decals in this case.

Agreed completely with this statement. Tho also right that projection mapping would be a more frequently utilised tool

2020-02-10, 15:37:00
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I fully agree with Kyle - material/map projection feature would be much more usefull. Paralax might look impressive in demos, but somehow i think you won't find it very usefull in real world scenes, maybe except for animations, where Corona displacement still has much room to improve.
I find these functions pretty closely related to each other. Consider, for example, asphalt, on top of which we want to place a decal with a pothole. The lower coordinate of the pothole is below the level of asphalt, which means that when using displacement, you will have to use a mixture of two height maps in one and apply this material to one mesh. In fact, the absence of parallax mapping negates the flexibility of decals in this case.

I think it's a matter of fact how well decals would be implemented. If displacement in decal's material would override base material's displacement, then there should be no problem, however if the same limitations would apply like currently it is in layered material, then decals would be quite limited to use.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-11, 16:07:26
Reply #17

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seems to work pretty well for Andrey...
100% material projection and parallax mapping. Flat geometry.

2020-02-11, 16:13:30
Reply #18

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Why all the examples are on flat geometry? I want to see paralax mapping on highly curved geometry, maybe there's severe shadow terminator artifacts lurking around?

2020-02-11, 16:19:13
Reply #19

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why all the examples are on flat geometry? I want to see paralax mapping on highly curved geometry, maybe there's severe shadow terminator artifacts lurking around?

Ill do some digging and report back.

2020-02-12, 01:50:22
Reply #20

PastaJackal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As Andrey post a bit about it on the facebook page, I'll add links below to more examples of parallax.

It becomes obvious that parallax isn't going to achieve great results on rounded surfaces or where you see an edge. That's why games tend to model out the bricks at the end of a brick wall or terminate the wall with a column detail etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FStormGroup/permalink/2222775061352233/

2020-02-12, 10:04:09
Reply #21

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hot off the press

2020-02-12, 10:06:13
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Looks good, thank you!

2020-02-12, 15:58:55
Reply #23

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hot off the press
that looks awesome

2020-02-12, 20:26:36
Reply #24

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Microdetail example

2020-02-12, 21:59:48
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What it has to do with parallax mapping request?

2020-02-12, 22:57:56
Reply #26

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What it has to do with parallax mapping request?

That's microdetail done with parallax mapping. Someone in another thread asked about it so I posted it here too.

2020-02-13, 00:28:01
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's interesting. I don't think paralax is needed in this case, but if it works... :]

2020-04-21, 12:55:40
Reply #28

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-04-24, 09:44:46
Reply #29

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks very interesting to me! Seems like a more streamlined way of working with composite materials - like in this tutorial: https://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/nakagin-photoreal-road-tutorial/

I imagine a good implementation of decal/material projection in Corona would be a really fast way of adding unique detail to base materials.

Not sure how parallax mapping factors into this, but I imagine it would be faster than using displacement - especially when developing the look of your scene and you want to move the camera around. Displacement really only works on the polygons that are visible to the camera when you first activate VFB, doesn't it?