Poll

Do you think Interactive Rendering is slower than it used to be?

Yes
32 (78%)
No
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 2019-12-25, 19:34:47

Author Topic: Looking for a cause of Interactive Rendering slowdown (+Poll)  (Read 79674 times)

2019-10-14, 19:28:56
Reply #45

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-10-14, 19:49:56
Reply #46

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So here it is, simple scene in Corona 1.5.2 As you can see, with clear VFB ticked on, it behaves the same as Corona 5 without subsampling, i.e. unusable. With clear VFB turned off, things becomes much better, but still nowhere near interactivity that is given by subsampling. And that's the simplest scene you can think of. I couldn't test the complex scene, as it crashes on trying to load, but i can imagine that things would be even worse there. I agree that IR with blending feels much nicer than without it, but the real deal is subsampling. If someone doesn't like it, then that's up to them, but there's absolutely no reason to remove such useful option or to make it OFF by default.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-14, 19:57:21
Reply #47

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Don't worry, we won't remove subsampling. We might introduce back the pixel blending, which could get automatically activated when subsampling is set to 0 (i.e. disabled). It is super-easy change AFAIK.

<rant>What really sucks though is that we are hearing complaints for 1 or 2 years about slow IR, and just now we learn that some users just disabled subsampling (i.e. they changed settings that makes IR fast, which you are not supposed to touch and broke Corona). And apparently everyone forgot to mention this tiny detail, and instead assumed Corona IR now just sucks. If you buy new car with 6 speed transmission, do you also use only speeds 1-5, and then complain online that your new car highway mileage sucks for no apparent reason?</rant>
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-10-14, 20:06:26
Reply #48

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thank you Ondra! Maybe at last all sides will be happy :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-14, 20:41:51
Reply #49

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
<rant>What really sucks though is that we are hearing complaints for 1 or 2 years about slow IR, and just now we learn that some users just disabled subsampling (i.e. they changed settings that makes IR fast, which you are not supposed to touch and broke Corona). And apparently everyone forgot to mention this tiny detail, and instead assumed Corona IR now just sucks. If you buy new car with 6 speed transmission, do you also use only speeds 1-5, and then complain online that your new car highway mileage sucks for no apparent reason?</rant>

It'd be ok if the 6th transmition brought speed associated with it.

I'd say a better analogy would be that I got a BMW that I feel is comfortable. The next model they change the seats by adding a huge head rest. So I take it off in order to be able to use the car properly but the seat still feels uncomfortable to me comparing it to the previous model.
As a BMW owner I would be like: hey, for the next model give me my seat back.

2019-10-14, 20:59:47
Reply #50

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1) I always turn "Clear VFB" off for IR
2) That "some users just disable subsampling" has been discussed several times and places on this forum, so that shouldn't surprise anybody.
3) I did use "speed 6" but I didn't find it useful for my driving ;)

Best regards

2019-10-15, 11:02:54
Reply #51

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
Did you guys receive the scene? I was wondering if you got the same outcome.

Hello lupaz, yes we received it, thank you very much. We are currently investigating it but we are unable to reproduce the slowdown in Corona 4. My colleague even stated that: "(for me) it was the other way around - when I tried IR on the included scene with Corona 1.5 it was very laggy and sometimes it didn't even show anything in the VFB. When I tried the same scene, but with Corona 4 everything worked well and smoothly."

Please what hardware do you use? Do you have some plug-ins installed? We want to test it with the same plug-ins installed to try to find out, if they could cause this slowdown.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-15, 12:51:34 by selene »

2019-10-15, 12:47:58
Reply #52

selene

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I uploaded the scene in question. Initial parsing time was around 30 seconds, seems it is due to the Rhino geometry, but switching between viewports IR was ok. Every now and again it slows down a little though. Still, hitting render instead of IR parsing was 4-5 seconds.

Hello steyin, please may I also ask you if you have some plug-ins installed? And what version of Microsoft Windows and what hardware do you use?

2019-10-15, 15:15:46
Reply #53

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
Did you guys receive the scene? I was wondering if you got the same outcome.

Hello lupaz, yes we received it, thank you very much. We are currently investigating it but we are unable to reproduce the slowdown in Corona 4. My colleague even stated that: "(for me) it was the other way around - when I tried IR on the included scene with Corona 1.5 it was very laggy and sometimes it didn't even show anything in the VFB. When I tried the same scene, but with Corona 4 everything worked well and smoothly."

Please what hardware do you use? Do you have some plug-ins installed? We want to test it with the same plug-ins installed to try to find out, if they could cause this slowdown.

Hi Selene,

3Ds max 2016, Win 10.
Ryzen
Plugins: Too many to even know. But some of them are Itoo Railclone and forest pack.

Hardware as from Sys info:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version   10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   RYZEN-1800X-TAI
System Manufacturer   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor   AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. P2.40, 4/10/2017
SMBIOS Version   3.0
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer   ASRock
BaseBoard Product   AB350 Pro4
BaseBoard Version   
Platform Role   Desktop
Secure Boot State   Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration   Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume5
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name   RYZEN-1800X-TAI\mrpep
Time Zone   Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory   32.0 GB
Available Physical Memory   23.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory   51.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory   37.2 GB
Page File Space   19.0 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection   Off
Virtualization-based security   Not enabled
Device Encryption Support   Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware   No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection   Yes

2019-10-15, 15:57:02
Reply #54

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
NEWS:
I just updated my nvidia drivers to be able to use Corona 5 and I think IR works faster.
Is that possible?
I'm not sure if the difference is bc of the new drivers or Corona 5 itself.

I thought it was worth mentioning it.

EDIT: I'm not using denoising for IR

« Last Edit: 2019-10-15, 16:02:29 by lupaz »

2019-10-15, 17:30:43
Reply #55

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
NEWS:
I just updated my nvidia drivers to be able to use Corona 5 and I think IR works faster.
Is that possible?

Great this helped you! Did you update your drivers and switched to Corona 5 at the same time? Just out of curiosity, were some other things that should be smooth/interactive also less interactive before and now they're OK (e.g. video playback)?

2019-10-15, 18:04:43
Reply #56

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great this helped you! Did you update your drivers and switched to Corona 5 at the same time?

Yes and no. I updated corona first. Used it a bit yesterday and today I updated the drivers.
BTW, the difference is not huge of course.

Just out of curiosity, were some other things that should be smooth/interactive also less interactive before and now they're OK (e.g. video playback)?

Not really. I can't say I'm noticing a difference on anything else.

2019-10-15, 19:04:08
Reply #57

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Hello steyin, please may I also ask you if you have some plug-ins installed? And what version of Microsoft Windows and what hardware do you use?
Running Windows 7 Pro, Xeon E5-2630, 40 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200
As for plugins:
  • ATiles
  • Bercon Maps
  • Civil View
  • Design Toolbox 2.4
  • Floor Generator
  • Floor Gen Tools
  • Glue
  • Houdini Ocean
  • Ivy Generator
  • Multitexture
  • Populate Terrain 1.86
  • Quad Chamfer
  • Quad Cap Pro
  • SimLab SkethUp Exporter 3.2
  • Siger XSMP + maps (noise, complex fresnel, etc)
  • Vizpark Omnitiles, Crossmap + Material Manager
  • VRay 3.6
**EDIT**
BTW, I replaced the previous Rhino geometry that was exported as OBJ with it exported as DWG, which cut the MAX file size down in half and now parsing takes 4 seconds.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-15, 23:06:18 by steyin »

2019-10-16, 16:59:18
Reply #58

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
NEWS:
Is that possible?

Hi Lupaz,

I have been testing your scene which you sent through to us. I have not been able to reproduce the slowdowns which were shown in the video you posted so I have a few questions.

1) Are you using the latest versions of ForestPack and RailClone? If not can you try to update to them and see if the issue remains.

2) I saw in the video that you are using a remote desktop client to log into your machine, does this still happen when you are not remotely logged into the machine?

3) Which version of windows are you using and is it fully up to date?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-10-16, 18:40:59
Reply #59

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

Do you think we can do this via email?
Where should I send the info to?
Thanks.