Author Topic: Override Global Ilumination  (Read 3069 times)

2019-09-17, 09:43:02

rmartineziruela

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, I propose an option to overwrite all the global ilumination of the scene. For example, if I have an interior scene with very complex materials, instead of going material to material and applying a rayswich with a simple gray material, have an option that allows you to overwrite all the materials at once. (how to overwrite the reflections for example) Thank you

2019-09-17, 21:14:13
Reply #1

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I already proposed to have an option in the corona mtl itself to do this but certain "ui cluttering" fears emerged ;)
+1 still

2019-09-17, 21:29:02
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
One question from me - what kind of scene would need every material having changed light bounces? I can only imagine this being required on a few materials at most, where colors are very saturated, and I can't picture a scene where every material would need that kind of override. Would be interested to know!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-09-17, 23:03:22
Reply #3

rmartineziruela

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello, to render much faster. If I replace all the materials with a basic gray (no reflection, no roughness ...) the render will be "fake" but render very fast. then, instead of changing only the ceiling, floor and walls ... it would be good an option to do it directly in all materials

2019-09-17, 23:25:38
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi! I am still a little puzzled - first you mention it was overriding the GI, but then in the last post you mention making it basic grey with no reflection or roughness, and reflection doesn't have to do with the usual overriding of GI (which is just overriding the Diffuse color to affect the bounced light). For overriding things like reflection, there is the current Material Override, where you can set everything to basic grey.

As for GI, if you mean override so that the scene looks the same directly (so wood still looks like wood), but the GI is just grey (bounced light won't take on the color of the wood - but this would have nothing to do with reflection), I don't think that would be any faster at all. All it would be is different in terms of the color and intensity of the bounced light, but it would still be bouncing light.

If you mean override with a black material to have no bounced light... well, I think that moves so far away from the physically realistic principles that at that point it would be as well switching to and engine that doesn't use GI. Having that level of realism is kind of the point of Corona, and "turning off GI altogether" seems a bit extreme :)

However, let us know more about what your request actually involves out of the options above, as I am still not clear on what you are asking for (how do reflections come into it, and should the GI material be grey which won't be faster, or should it be black, which would mean "have no GI at all").

2019-09-18, 08:13:32
Reply #5

rmartineziruela

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. When I do interior scenes, the floor and wall materials are very complex in terms of displacement, glossiness etc (they are my clients' materials and therefore require that degree of complexity). What I do, for the scene to render faster is to use a coronarayswich and in the GI I put a very basic brown color (so I avoid that imperfections, displacement etc. affect the GI and therefore the render will go faster). If the floor is wooden, I put a brown tone. If it is concrete a gray etc. If in any way there were any option to overwrite the GI of all materials directly by its diffusion without taking into account the imperfections of its surface generated by displacement or glossiness, the scene could be greatly optimized. I don't know if I explained myself well because my income is not very good

2019-09-18, 13:43:34
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

Thank you for the explanation! As you note though, that's just two materials, floor and walls, so setting up the RaySwitch for those is not hard since it is just two materials out of the whole scene. Also, it is best done just for adjusting the color saturation of the reflected light; I doubt you would see any significant speed changes from the result, you can always test to see. The only time we'd suggest rayswitch for speed is where translucent curtains are blocking much of the light, where a simpler material without diffuse, bump, translucency, opacity, etc. maps may be helpful, but to be honest even there it that more complex case (where a large part of the light has to pass through that material before continuing on into the scene), the speed difference is small.