Author Topic: 10bit output with Geforce Cards  (Read 4006 times)

2019-08-19, 22:12:42

mraw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't have a fancy 10bit Screen and don't plan to buy one in the near future, but I just read that Nvidias new driver unlocks 10bit.
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/149125/en-us
I remember reading a few threads here dealing with the limitations to Quadro Cards only.  If they really have buried this stupid Quadro-policy, I would change my mind about fancy 10bit screens.
Have I overlooked some details? Anybody here with the necessary hardware to comfirm that this actually works?

2019-08-21, 13:14:19
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's nice in a way it's nice when thief returns to you what he stole in first place. No reason to thank nVidia for being asshole and locking away basic features behind massive paywall tax of Quadro cards.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-08-21, 13:53:12
Reply #2

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
NVidia is just ugly with this.

If they really have buried this stupid Quadro-policy, I would change my mind about fancy 10bit screens.
If you are in exclusive fullscreen and on DirectX (not sure about vulkan here), then 10-bit output will work. So for gaming you are fine. Anything going through NVENC is also fine and will encode/decode 10-bit or 12-bit video.
If you have a window however and / or use a program written with OpenGL as the backbone, Nvidia refuses 10-bit color and Remote Desktop. So no 10-bit photoshop, 3dsmax or similar without shelling out for a quadro card.
To be fair, a diamond house is probably expensive with maintenance.

There is nothing you can do about it, unless you have a kepler generation card, which can be bios modded to think it's a quadro.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-08-21, 14:55:30
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The Kepler hack of Titans was always bit questionable ;- )

But this does work, the studio driver adds 10bit to both GTX 1xxx and GTX/RTX 2xxx for all purposes.

It's the only useful thing from the Studio driver also.. everything else is quite bullshit.
They claim to speedup Autodesk products...and by that they mean ArnoldGPU inside Autodesk, nothing else. Don't expect viewport improvements or something of that sort.

I don't run it currently, not interested in beta-testing it yet.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!