Author Topic: Suggestion: add buttons to the VFB that link to CONF files  (Read 9869 times)

2019-06-25, 17:04:09

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even though cameras have the option to control all the postprocessing, it'd be nice to have a bar with buttons where you can load different conf files directly from the VFB.

This would allow you to use different settings for GROUPS of cameras.

For example: "Interiors", "Exteriors".

2019-07-02, 14:30:45
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, but I didn't fully understand this. What is the final outcome of your idea? The possibility to "push" post settings from the VFB to the selected camera? (or multiple cameras)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-02, 16:09:54
Reply #2

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be like presets. Each preset opens a custom CONF file.
The final outcome is to be able to go from one preset to another directly in the VFB without having to click on load and search for it in the directory tree.

2019-07-05, 14:46:59
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Understood, thanks!

2019-07-08, 10:00:09
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged as a feature request with a note that this would be also nice to have in LightMix tab and in the Corona Camera ui.

(Internal ID=371611685)
« Last Edit: 2019-11-12, 14:16:46 by maru »

2019-08-19, 10:21:22
Reply #5

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Hi, why are you suggesting to add these settings to the VFB? If I understand the original suggestion, you'd like to have some settings shared by multiple cameras. Wouldn't it be better to introduce some kind of "take settings from another camera" option, similar to what we have implemented for the ColorCorrect texture? That way you would not have to switch the postprocessing settings in VFB at all whenever you switch the cameras.

2019-08-19, 18:14:43
Reply #6

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
That would work.
In my current workflow I use only the VFB for tone mapping, exposure and post processing.
I think it's because the camera settings are not as responsive during interactive rendering.

I could change my workflow if you're adding the possibility to copy those settings while not changing other settings in the camera.
However, the VFB is much cleaner than the command panel, which makes it nicer to work with. The camera has so many settings that it's just not comfortable.
The other difference between what you're proposing and the presets in the VFB that I was suggesting is that the presets can let you compare settings very easily, while loading settings from a camera would require a dialog box or drop down list.

« Last Edit: 2019-08-19, 18:20:14 by lupaz »

2019-08-21, 22:13:10
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this was requested a couple of times before and a drop down menu like the LUT implementation would be useful for configs too.

2019-08-28, 20:55:39
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Ryuu Am I missing something or all post-process effects through the camera have an effect only while rendering?

If that's the case I confirm that would like to see those presets directly in the VFB.

2019-08-28, 22:39:55
Reply #9

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If this gets implemented at some point, which would be beneficial for sure, each preset could be stored with the max file instead of external saves maybe.

2019-08-28, 22:51:49
Reply #10

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would be awesome if the load button could load the conf settings of a *.max file. Rather than having to open the max file just to save out the conf file. But I don't know if this is possible.

2019-08-28, 22:52:07
Reply #11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If this gets implemented at some point, which would be beneficial for sure, each preset could be stored with the max file instead of external saves maybe.

This is already possible. Ive done it with other data in C# outside of max but with C++ you could do it within the max environment.
You can do it with pretty much any information you might need and have it be readable without having to open the file too. Camera settings, VFB Settings, pretty much anything you can express in under 255 characters. I use it for adding metadata for other software to max files.
Happy to show the devs if theyre interested. I have something i can put on github.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-29, 14:11:42 by Jpjapers »

2019-09-16, 11:40:23
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think this thread got a bit confusing, and strayed away from the original request.
The original request is:
- Having an easy way to switch between different post-processing settings in the VFB ui (similar to the LUT selector we have)
- Using the above thing to control multiple cameras (unfortunately I did not fully understand how exactly this is related)

If you have some other ideas, please log them in separate threads. Thanks!

2019-09-16, 17:20:11
Reply #13

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this thread got a bit confusing, and strayed away from the original request.
The original request is:
- Having an easy way to switch between different post-processing settings in the VFB ui (similar to the LUT selector we have)
- Using the above thing to control multiple cameras (unfortunately I did not fully understand how exactly this is related)

If you have some other ideas, please log them in separate threads. Thanks!

The thing i suggested was just a way or storing multiple configs as part of the max file rather than having separate config files :)

2019-11-11, 18:40:20
Reply #14

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please, consider this for the next version.
Using controls per camera doesn't really work the same way as the VFB.
Thanks.