Author Topic: Corona Renderer 5 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 60446 times)

2019-09-30, 17:47:25
Reply #150

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have discussed the GPU compatability issue with the new version on Optix with our dev team.

Unfortunately for people with Keplar generation cards we will not be rolling back to Optix version 5.x.x. For the time being we will be sticking with Optix version 6, and at somepoint in the future probably moving to Optix 7.

We are going to look into a better way to detect what GPU is in the system so we can check if it is supported by Optix and provide a more descriptive error message.

I hope that this information is useful, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-09-30, 22:16:07
Reply #151

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Unfortunately for people with Keplar generation cards we will not be rolling back to Optix version 5.x.x.
Ahhh, shucks. Progress before compatibility I guess. Either decision is a good one :]
Just FYI, according to the Steam survey, the 750ti is still in the Top 10 most videocards used.
Just out of curiosity, is there some hidden "replace this file" and change this .ini setting to enable zombie backwards compatibility held together by tape and bubble gum - only for the adventurous Corona-nauts?
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-10-01, 06:25:27
Reply #152

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey guys - ive got a gtx 1080 and im getting the optix error - this gfx card is compatible right?
So far ive:
got the latest 1080 nvidia drivers installed
reinstalled corona and the denoiser.

Am i missing something?

2019-10-01, 10:01:54
Reply #153

rozpustelnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No GPU denoising for me, then. So sad.

2019-10-01, 10:57:43
Reply #154

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hey guys - ive got a gtx 1080 and im getting the optix error - this gfx card is compatible right?
So far ive:

Am i missing something?

Hi,

Which error message are you getting?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-10-01, 11:11:23
Reply #155

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just out of curiosity, is there some hidden "replace this file" and change this .ini setting to enable zombie backwards compatibility held together by tape and bubble gum - only for the adventurous Corona-nauts?

Hi,

I'm sorry, there's no way to do this :(

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-10-01, 11:15:56
Reply #156

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Curious to know more about new displacement mode. Does it has some limitations compared to the old one? I did super quick comparision test and found that while 2.5 mode offers impressive speedup, RAM savings and has more details, it also shows quite strong artifacts all over the place.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-01, 11:45:33
Reply #157

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

I cant remember exactly but it was regarding optix and missing optix 6 DLL.
So far ive:

Am i missing something?

Hi,

Which error message are you getting?

Thanks,

Rowan

2019-10-01, 12:15:22
Reply #158

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Curious to know more about new displacement mode. Does it has some limitations compared to the old one? I did super quick comparision test and found that while 2.5 mode offers impressive speedup, RAM savings and has more details, it also shows quite strong artifacts all over the place.

Hi,

To me it looks like the displacement is much finer with the new displacement enabled rather than artifacts. But it is a little bit difficult to tell.

Would you be able to provide me with the screen size (px) you are using for both the new and old displacement? And if possible would you be able to send over your scene?

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-10-01, 12:17:36
Reply #159

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

I cant remember exactly but it was regarding optix and missing optix 6 DLL.

Hi,

It's a little difficult for us to debug it without the full error message, next time you encounter it would you be able to send it over to us?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-10-01, 14:07:33
Reply #160

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To me it looks like the displacement is much finer with the new displacement enabled rather than artifacts. But it is a little bit difficult to tell.

Would you be able to provide me with the screen size (px) you are using for both the new and old displacement? And if possible would you be able to send over your scene?

The artifacts are best visible when you alternate between the pictures - look for dark vertical lines in "displacement-new.jpg".

Render settings were completely default, it's just a plane primitive with Corona material and procedural noise in displacement. I didn't save the scene, but it should be very easy to reproduce. I'll try to make some more tests later and see if i'll be able to get more pronounced artifacts.

Edit: here's more convenient comparison: https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=781777ee-e444-11e9-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
« Last Edit: 2019-10-01, 14:15:24 by romullus »

2019-10-01, 14:30:44
Reply #161

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi, can you show us how your mesh topology looks like before displacing?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-10-01, 14:33:53
Reply #162

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's default plane primitive with 4x4 segments, not even converted to mesh.

2019-10-01, 16:39:33
Reply #163

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very best new corona displacement!

2019-10-01, 21:22:19
Reply #164

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Does 2.5D Displacement fully replace the old method?
Is there any reason or scenario to use the old one except compatibility to old scenes?
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )