Author Topic: Corona Renderer 5 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 62196 times)

2019-10-01, 22:19:21
Reply #165

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does 2.5D Displacement fully replace the old method?
Is there any reason or scenario to use the old one except compatibility to old scenes?
If it's for using only for flat surfaces, same in vray, or for all types of geometry?

2019-10-02, 07:01:50
Reply #166

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nice. i have a dumb question. is there any way to have it update the resolution in IR when you pan/zoom? i usually go a frame forward and back to update. thx

2019-10-02, 20:14:51
Reply #167

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It looks that new displacement has much worse quality at the distance, compared to the old one.

Can we have dedicated displacement playground topic please?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-02, 20:32:40
Reply #168

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Also it appears that faces at shallow angle from camera, has somehow incorrect shading.

2019-10-02, 22:38:15
Reply #169

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also it appears that faces at shallow angle from camera, has somehow incorrect shading.

Strange about this, I do not have any complaints
Maybe because I use this parameter?

« Last Edit: 2019-10-02, 22:42:32 by Feodor »

2019-10-02, 23:57:07
Reply #170

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Strange about this, I do not have any complaints

Are you sure? To me it looks like your examples shows the same behaviour, it's just my lighting is more contrasty and issues are more evident.

2019-10-03, 09:10:40
Reply #171

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
We'll be releasing few optimizations and bugfixes for the 2.5D displacement in next daily build (hopefully today).

Romullus, could you please upload the scenes for testing? We can't really get much useful information just from the screenshots without knowing what settings did you use. Did you set the same pixel size for both displacement methods?

2019-10-03, 09:22:06
Reply #172

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

2019-10-03, 09:31:00
Reply #173

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Romullus, could you please upload the scenes for testing? We can't really get much useful information just from the screenshots without knowing what settings did you use. Did you set the same pixel size for both displacement methods?

I left all the settings at default, but i see your point - i recreate those scenes and will attach them in the playground topic.

2019-10-10, 07:02:50
Reply #174

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Corona team

An issue with all builds including the stable released versions is coronalightmtl is NOT visible in the alpha channel eventhough the visibilty option is set to 'visible to alpha channel'
ive done various tests and workarounds and it doesnt work.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-10, 09:44:06 by shortcirkuit »

2019-10-10, 11:07:39
Reply #175

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Corona team

An issue with all builds including the stable released versions is coronalightmtl is NOT visible in the alpha channel eventhough the visibilty option is set to 'visible to alpha channel'
ive done various tests and workarounds and it doesnt work.

That's interesting. We will definitely check it. Thanks for the report!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-10-10, 22:33:06
Reply #176

sandroarch

• Users
    • View Profile
So why is he doing this? :(((((

2019-10-11, 08:17:19
Reply #177

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
This happens if you still have old Corona/RenderLegion/ChaosCz DLLs in your max root directory. The latest daily installer should fix this. You can also delete them manually (all Legion*.dll and Corona*.dll, and ScatterCore.dll).

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-10-11, 11:46:31
Reply #178

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just installed the latest daily and I have to say that I love the new displacement. Thanks for that! It was a long-awaited feature and it was worth the wait. There is plenty of details, and RAM usage drop is quite noticeable.

That said, the only drawback that remains is that this is still heavily impacted by surface area displayed (especially in world unit, for animation purpose). Combine that with geometric texture modeling ( http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.127.3226&rep=rep1&type=pdf ), which is, I guess, the paper used for Fstorm geo-pattern (this paper is an updated version of the previously posted one in the initial displacement discussion thread), and you would get the ultimate solution. Displace one tile, conform it to the base mesh -> Full details, slow memory footprint. Of course that wouldn't work with XYZ procedural maps, I get it. But that would still be a really welcomed option for tiled bitmaps.

2019-10-12, 21:13:35
Reply #179

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unable to install latest daily. Have the exact same problem as in post #176

This happens if you still have old Corona/RenderLegion/ChaosCz DLLs in your max root directory. The latest daily installer should fix this. You can also delete them manually (all Legion*.dll and Corona*.dll, and ScatterCore.dll).

No idea what I should remove. Cant find any of the files you mention in my max root.

How do I proceed ?