Author Topic: Vray Next vs Corona 4  (Read 27799 times)

2019-05-09, 15:30:42
Reply #30

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Reflect on backside was on (I always toggle this to evaluate results with glass).

You also need fog to be active to be able to get (total) internal reflections.
I would also imagine that Grant would be aware of those settings, too, when making his comments that so closely aligned with our impressions
I wouldn't assume.
What you describe in the above is pretty much the definition of "confirmation bias".

Fog was active because I was emulating non-low iron glass.  And you might be right about interpreting Grant’s comments, I could see why you’d say that.  I don’t see that it changes the results we saw though.

For us it was the combo of the ‘look’ of the glass and also the denoiser not treating glass very well.  The combo of those two left us going ‘ergh...that’s a bit sticky’ since most of our scenes have glass.  I did open a support ticket a few days back, hoping to get it sorted since we have a few underutilized GPUs right now :)
« Last Edit: 2019-05-09, 15:51:02 by danio1011 »

2019-05-10, 00:53:35
Reply #31

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-05-10, 01:23:23
Reply #32

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well the Vray GPU seems to render the Normal map correctly, but not the CPU Version.

2019-05-13, 19:23:42
Reply #33

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Reflect on backside was on (I always toggle this to evaluate results with glass).

You also need fog to be active to be able to get (total) internal reflections.
Never new you need to have fog enabled for accurate internal reflections, is that so even for Corona?

kosso_olli, Here is a render side by side to show how Vray advance doesn't render Normal Maps correctly, but Vray RT does. This is with Normal map loaded with gamma 1.0

2019-05-14, 14:53:04
Reply #34

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried your file.
I can not get it to work correctly, either. I have to agree the GPU/Corona version is looking much more detailed and crisp, and also the lighting on the right side is looking much nicer. More correct for the direction the lighting is coming from.
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2019-05-16, 10:58:34
Reply #35

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@dfcorona: Can you send you scene to the developers over in your thread at the Chaosroup-Forums? I am curious what comes out of this, because this seems to be a bug.

2019-05-16, 15:34:19
Reply #36

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@dfcorona: Can you send you scene to the developers over in your thread at the Chaosroup-Forums? I am curious what comes out of this, because this seems to be a bug.
I did post the scene yesterday in the forum, maybe I should also send to there support email.

2019-05-16, 17:21:56
Reply #37

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Of one of the guys came up with the strangest solution to this problem: Apply UVW map in box mode and it works. I tried it, and it does... Weird!

2019-05-16, 18:06:05
Reply #38

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Of one of the guys came up with the strangest solution to this problem: Apply UVW map in box mode and it works. I tried it, and it does... Weird!
yeah just saw that, lol. Weird solution, but quite the issue for a leading renderer. Hopefully they fix it.

2019-05-17, 03:24:30
Reply #39

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What exactly does Corona do with it's shading?  You can see here I used a diffuse shader on Corona vs Redshift and for some reason the corona one looks more detailed, but it also looks like it has specular on even though reflections are off.  Vray renders just like the Redshift one also.

2019-05-17, 16:29:30
Reply #40

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Isn't this something about tone mapping? It looks like in Corona you can see the highlights and in the other example they are clamped.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-05-17, 18:34:43
Reply #41

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Isn't this something about tone mapping? It looks like in Corona you can see the highlights and in the other example they are clamped.
Maybe, It just seems like Corona has highlights in the shader even though it's diffuse. Here is another example.

2019-05-17, 19:09:51
Reply #42

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. What exactly do you mean when you say reflections is off? Is reflection gloss set to 0, or is reflection level set to 0?

If reflection gloss is set to 0 while reflection level is set to 1, then in Corona there'll still be some slight reflection when IOR is higher than 1. The only way to turn reflection off effectively in Corona, is to set reflection level to 0.

2019-05-17, 19:50:18
Reply #43

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. What exactly do you mean when you say reflections is off? Is reflection gloss set to 0, or is reflection level set to 0?

If reflection gloss is set to 0 while reflection level is set to 1, then in Corona there'll still be some slight reflection when IOR is higher than 1. The only way to turn reflection off effectively in Corona, is to set reflection level to 0.
I mean reflection level is 0, so no reflection.  But diffuse still seems to render with what looks like specular highlights in Corona.

2019-05-17, 20:36:15
Reply #44

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Any chance of sending the scene? Could be something odd about normals, or some sort of material override going on. Does it happen too with, say, a simple sphere?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us