Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 43749 times)

2019-04-24, 12:42:51
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong, this features is one of the killer features, and it's so useful in many cases. But, because of the overwhelming NaNs pixels and slow render time, it is kinda useless in animation productions...

NaNs are easily fixable once we get repro scene. But for animations, I am afraid caustics in v4 will be reserved for the ultimate high-end, due to the performance cost
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-04-24, 15:05:02
Reply #16

BvdW

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

just experimenting with the new caustics solver.

Same glass material is working in an empty scene but not in the scene file where it's from.

I would expect some caustics because of the strong sunlight. Am I wrong or doing it wrong?

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Belle

2019-04-24, 15:26:07
Reply #17

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Looks like the last pic (caustic not working) isn't an perspective view. If that's the case, then try it with perspective.

Hope it helps

2019-04-24, 15:27:45
Reply #18

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Also don't forget there is a limitation at the moment: "One very strong light may disable caustics from weaker lights (will be fixed soon)." (so, e.g., adding an HDRI to your scene might cause caustics to disappear). Check https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000056738-how-to-render-caustics-with-the-new-caustics-solver- for known limitations.

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-24, 15:40:55
Reply #19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Same glass material is working in an empty scene but not in the scene file where it's from.

I would expect some caustics because of the strong sunlight. Am I wrong or doing it wrong?

Belle

Does it help if you reset render settings? ("Reset settings" button in the Scene tab)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-04-24, 15:47:17
Reply #20

BvdW

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you. I just reset the settings but it didn't work either. Guess it's because of the limitation...

Hi guys,

Belle

Does it help if you reset render settings? ("Reset settings" button in the Scene tab)

2019-04-24, 16:50:05
Reply #21

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it's amazing) i wish reflected rays were calculated and scattered in the fog too))
could we expect this in the near future?

2019-04-24, 17:49:23
Reply #22

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just two images where I was testing some quick modifications to existing scenes.

2019-04-24, 18:44:31
Reply #23

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Hi guys,

Belle

Is the other scene by any chance lit by sunny HDRI instead of CoronaSun?

2019-04-24, 20:34:10
Reply #24

kv3t1n4c

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it's amazing) i wish reflected rays were calculated and scattered in the fog too))

You have to ad a copy of the ball, scaled (100,1%) with that volume material apllied on. It seems that a ray is not "continuous" in a meaning of path from light source to camera, so even the reflected ray have to go through 2 planes of volume object. I hope it's understandable :D
Also you can't have allowed only single bounce in volume material settings, then you render only scattering of direct light.

2019-04-24, 20:56:39
Reply #25

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah an exterior with bounced GI, what could be missing in a scene like this, nothing at all, this is how they have always looked! Reflected caustics off the glass windows perhaps?

2019-04-24, 22:31:03
Reply #26

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Of course there are wishes, it is felt that the product is raw. But even at this stage it looks very impressive.
Very cool caustic. You are geniuses! :)

2019-04-25, 01:07:48
Reply #27

rombo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Doing my best to get this to work - is there a switch asides from the material one to get caustics to start rendering?
I am not getting any better or any faster caustics than the previous corona 3 version - Is there a trick to use this?

2019-04-25, 01:13:21
Reply #28

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@rombo: check out post #18 right above :)

2019-04-25, 01:13:59
Reply #29

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You have to ad a copy of the ball, scaled (100,1%) with that volume material apllied on. It seems that a ray is not "continuous" in a meaning of path from light source to camera, so even the reflected ray have to go through 2 planes of volume object. I hope it's understandable :D
Also you can't have allowed only single bounce in volume material settings, then you render only scattering of direct light.
nope, its not working for me, ive just tried different variations of this method) but in future it will be cool to create scenes with laser beams reflecting from a lot of mirrors)) devs, it is possible?