Author Topic: Car Style Frame  (Read 6014 times)

2014-01-10, 21:13:29

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Working on some style frames of a few car models. Seeing how I can fair with Corona. I must say I miss being able to map HDRI maps to lights like I can in Vray. Not sure if that is something in the daily builds or not, but I hope so :)

I know I am using some crappy concrete texture right now, but I will see if I have time to clean it up/make something more interesting.

2014-01-10, 21:30:49
Reply #1

poko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like it. How long takes render? Nice dof:)

2014-01-10, 21:39:34
Reply #2

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
This was an over an hour. I usually just set my max time to an hour a frame, and then just let'r rip. But I will most likely try to get the render time way down from that for such a "simple" image.

I have not really messed with render times in Corona yet because I just max it at an hour and I can live with the results. Now, for animation I would not want to go any higher though :)

I usually have the render stamp on! I will make sure to have it next render!

2014-01-10, 22:18:30
Reply #3

poko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok cool. Thx.
Want to see animation:)
Best.

2014-01-10, 22:20:27
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you use alpha V5, then make CoronaMTL, set diffuse level to 0, so it is completely black. Then enable emission, and put HDRI into emission texture slot. Resulting mesh light should act the same way as in Vray.

If you use daily builds, then you do the same, but use CoronaLightMTL instead of CoronaMTL.

2014-01-10, 22:49:52
Reply #5

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
If you use alpha V5, then make CoronaMTL, set diffuse level to 0, so it is completely black. Then enable emission, and put HDRI into emission texture slot. Resulting mesh light should act the same way as in Vray.

If you use daily builds, then you do the same, but use CoronaLightMTL instead of CoronaMTL.

I am using alpha V5. I knew there must be some way of doing something similar, still it does not have the same options as having it in the light source. But I just did a test and your workflow does the trick for now..... Thank you.

2014-01-10, 22:58:44
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Which specific options do you need?

2014-01-10, 23:16:01
Reply #7

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic

I just like the option to set the gamma and multiplier in the Vray HDRI and then have all the settings of the Vray light to control it.

- Targeted Light.

- Intensity Multiplier.

- Affect diffuse - specular - reflection.

- Invisible.

- Exclude/Include.

I just like to not have to travel around max to get to those settings the other way. And in some funny way I see it as another light in the scene.

2014-01-11, 11:44:56
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

I just like the option to set the gamma and multiplier in the Vray HDRI and then have all the settings of the Vray light to control it.

- Targeted Light.

- Intensity Multiplier.

- Affect diffuse - specular - reflection.

- Invisible.

- Exclude/Include.

I just like to not have to travel around max to get to those settings the other way. And in some funny way I see it as another light in the scene.

- Targeted light - You can create your plane, and a dummy, and use "Look at" constrain

- Intensity multiplier - There is an emission level in the CoronaMTL, that is it

- Affect diffuse - specular - reflection - In Alpha V5, this is a bit more tricky. If you do not want to affect diffuse, then use ConstantMTL and disable diffuse GI. For not affecting reflection/refraction, uncheck it in object properties. Unfortunately, you can not separate these two in Alpha V5.

- Invisible - Just uncheck visible to camera in object properties.

- Exclude/Include - Not possible at the moment. We are getting into extremely specific scenario here. If someone does as photorealistic rendering as actually mapping HDRI softboxes on light, the it is extremely improbable same person will want to do such fakes as restricting which objects are lit.

That being said, in Alpha V6, it will be resolved a bit better.

It will have most of the features shared with CoronaLight. I will ask Ondra if include/exclude and directionality would be possible in LightMTL as well ;) It should...

2014-01-11, 17:38:46
Reply #9

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Thanks for the reply!

It still brings me back to my issue of having to go all over the max UI to do simple stuff. I know this is an Alpha so I am glad there are workarounds like you describe above.

I just really want it all in one light object, rather than making planes and assigning textures, and going into the material editor to adjust the HDRI, then over to the light shader, then object properties for options...... It just gets a bit messy that way. But this could be because I am just stuck in my ways :)

" If someone does as photorealistic rendering as actually mapping HDRI softboxes on light, the it is extremely improbable same person will want to do such fakes as restricting which objects are lit."

I do not agree with that statement. I always find the renders that are trying to be the most "realistic" are the ones that look the most fake to me :) Without having options in place to sort of break the rules, you loose a lot of artistic control. That HDRI on the light may look perfect in one reflection, but just may look off in a refraction of another object. And since we are making images in 3D and not doing photography, why not cheat it a bit :)

I do understand your point though!

« Last Edit: 2014-01-11, 17:42:21 by davemahi »

2014-01-21, 09:53:57
Reply #10

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Photographers often cheet aswell by making series of photos with different reflections/refractions set from cartboards etc.
So, anyway I think that you are more than right, we need to have the ability to fake things at some level not only product/envirowment placement.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott