2014-01-10, 12:13:00

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
While Christmas theme still relevant)
Little crystal clear snow from under the corona
The author of the original scene, my brother Vladimir Lysak https://www.facebook.com/vladimir.lysak.stealth, created it for rendering Maxwell renderer, 5.1M instances = ~300M Polys, and I asked the stage for comparative tests in the corona, that's what she gave us )
Postprocessing of a little glow and lens distortion in Nuke

« Last Edit: 2014-01-10, 13:36:38 by art-MIXER »
Design is magic

2014-01-10, 12:21:54
Reply #1

sbrusse

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really nice, well done ;-)

Stan

2014-01-10, 14:08:49
Reply #2

Bzdashekzapadlovski

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wow thats amazing. can u show the material?:)

2014-01-10, 14:18:21
Reply #3

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
material is very simple , taken as a basis material of pure water:

Design is magic

2014-01-10, 18:33:06
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How does corona compare to Maxwell?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-12, 15:38:32
Reply #5

Han

• Active Users
  • CG generalist
    • View Profile
Why do people constantly use incorrect falloff 3d Max? The material Corona is the value of Fresnel, which works correctly with this renderer.

2014-01-12, 16:25:54
Reply #6

gracelorn

• Active Users
  • 3D enthusiast
    • View Profile
Why do people constantly use incorrect falloff 3d Max? The material Corona is the value of Fresnel, which works correctly with this renderer.

I guess, falloff map has more flexibility (like various falloff types) than the standard Fresnel function and is used by many for artistic purposes rather than physical accuracy.

2014-01-12, 18:22:14
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Arch&design* material has nice IOR controls. I'm not sure if they are physically correct, though.

*as far as I remember ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-13, 09:31:33
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Arch&design* material has nice IOR controls. I'm not sure if they are physically correct, though.

*as far as I remember ;)

You can choose... Either fresnel reflection driven by IOR, which behaves same as in Corona, or manual 0° to 90° reflectivity with an input to tweak falloff curve between them. :)

In Corona, you can do both workflows as well. Either set up regular relfection driven by fresnel IOR. or set Fresnel IOR to 999 and then use falloff map.

2014-01-13, 15:37:53
Reply #9

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
How does corona compare to Maxwell?

Maxwell certainly stronger Corona in terms of materials and physics, produces delicious small parts based on the physics of the real world and so on. Very good control of materials , better ergonomics management system materials I have not seen , this is my personal opinion. But he is still a big minus is a very long time rendering. Brother received such images with snow on its i7 , for an incredible 72 hours ! At that time , I got them in the corona is much faster frame by night ~ 3.5 hours and day frame for ~ 1.5 hours. Although I have not been able to make such material sleet , like my brother did in Maxwell . Always looked frosty snow and whitish. Despite the fact that I used for snow for water base material . By the way I used falloff map trying to imitate created material in Maxwell , reflectance 0 and 90
I would be happy if the crown had a similar structure in the material editor , like Maxwell render all in one material , with unlimited number of layers ( do not need any additional node blends ) , almost as familiar to us photoshop )))

Frames made ​​my brother in Maxwell :

Design is magic

2014-01-14, 10:08:22
Reply #10

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
I belive Corona is capable of making same type of image, just as the one you showed. You just used unproper metod, can you share the scene for future tests?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-01-14, 19:02:23
Reply #11

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
I belive Corona is capable of making same type of image, just as the one you showed. You just used unproper metod, can you share the scene for future tests?

Unfortunately I do not have such authority, since I am not the author of this scene, I just did some comparative tests using the crown.
But you could share your thoughts why I used the wrong method of calculation)
Design is magic

2014-01-15, 08:32:33
Reply #12

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
I understand, I would need to see the scene / lights in the oryginal to be able to tell you why it didnt translate to corona as good as you would expect it. The thing is that your materials seems to be a bit of the charts with reflection. But I cant really tell as Im not looking in to scene it self.

Its nice that you check corona, as Im testing it my self a lot.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-01-19, 05:04:01
Reply #13

Volodymyr.Lysak.STEALTH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Hey. I'm his brother. Night render I liked more in Corona, (perhaps because of post-processing :) ) relief is more detailed. However in sunlight Maxwell Render performed better (for me, ofcourse).
Brother, share a scene file (I lost it). Curious to see what can come of it ...

2014-01-19, 09:38:41
Reply #14

art-MIXER

• Active Users
  • Design wizard
    • View Profile
    • Blog CGi
Design is magic