Author Topic: 3D Studio Max 2020  (Read 12279 times)

2019-06-19, 01:07:30
Reply #30

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Was it ever Autodesk remove something from 3ds max?

2019-06-19, 05:51:59
Reply #31

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice thread.
After reading it and checking all the new features since v2016 (https://area.autodesk.com/3dsmax-timeline/)
I still don't find it appealing to move on from 2016.
Anyone else with this feeling?

2019-06-19, 09:46:44
Reply #32

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Recent 3ds max versions has lots of cool tools and features, but it also has increasingly more and more bugs. I'm sitting with max 2016 and it's pretty sad.

Havoc, mental ray, some other stuff that i can't even remember, but yeah, a major clean up, probably wouldn't hurt.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-19, 10:46:31
Reply #33

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Recent 3ds max versions has lots of cool tools and features, but it also has increasingly more and more bugs. I'm sitting with max 2016 and it's pretty sad.

Havoc, mental ray, some other stuff that i can't even remember, but yeah, a major clean up, probably wouldn't hurt.

We've all been saying that for, what... 12/13 years? It's so overdue that at this point it's just not going to happen, realistically.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-06-19, 10:53:09
Reply #34

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
But i think Autodesk slowly changing their approach. They looks more open now - public roadmap, implementing some most voted features, adressing some long standing issues. Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-19, 11:37:46
Reply #35

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I jumped from 2016 to 2019 and I find it better. It's not like it was a huge step or change, but surely it's as stable as 2016 was, but much smoother and faster in terms of working in viewport. I haven't tried 2020 yet but I'm willing to test it mainly for detachable viewport feature. If was lucky enough to own perpetual 2016 license I wouldn't see a reason to update to 2019/2020 though, it's definitely not worth the money that goes with it on subscription model.
But well, being forced to rent the software I can see it slowly changing and certainly hope for the best in the next updates.

2019-06-19, 12:14:40
Reply #36

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am waiting for one plugin to be ported to 2020 and then planning to switch. 2020 should be better than 2019, the command panel has a fix that makes subobject switching faster... maybe as fast as 2016 was :D

But the story of 3dsmax is a sad one:
2016 - stable, UI fast enough, viewports good enough - the 'gold standard' even after all these years
2017 - viewports much faster, buggy slower UI, and a critical bug with snapping that can crash Max at any time after using snap even once in a session, never fixed in 2017
2018 - stable enough, still a buggy and slower UI, and we came across a super annoying bug with instanced objects, mirroring and modifiers forcing you to work around by avoiding instances (fixed in 2019, it seems)
2019 - OSL, stable enough, this time the UI however got a lot slower than 2018, command panel and material editor UI refresh time is awfully slow
2020 - let's see...

As suggested above, if anyone finds bugs in 2020, please share. I'd hate to discover bugs mid-production as it happened now after we switched 2018.

I am pretty sure Max QA has no production experience whatsoever and runs simple usability tests only. It just can't be that they missed the UI bugs and slowness, modeling crashes and workflow regressions in the last 4 releases.

2019-06-19, 12:18:05
Reply #37

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
"I am pretty sure Max QA has no production experience whatsoever and runs simple usability tests only. It just can't be that they missed the UI bugs and slowness, modeling crashes and workflow regressions in the last 4 releases."

The Max QA team is basically volunteers like you and me, at least in part. The issue is that they find bugs and issues, report them, and then AD spend the next 3-5 years thinking about how to fix them. Critical stuff takes years to sort out. It's a situation of their own making.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-06-19, 16:58:30
Reply #38

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I must say as much as I dislike the program as much as the next person Max 2020.1 actually shows some promise;

The Floating View ports & this -

"Large integers used as parameters of scene entities are no longer truncated when they pass through dimension conversions. E.g.: 16777217 was truncated to 16777216. MAXX-48775"

2019-06-19, 17:22:17
Reply #39

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I must say as much as I dislike the program as much as the next person Max 2020.1 actually shows some promise;

The Floating View ports & this -

"Large integers used as parameters of scene entities are no longer truncated when they pass through dimension conversions. E.g.: 16777217 was truncated to 16777216. MAXX-48775"

I do think they are doing their best under the conditions they are facing - a large company moving way too slow, layoffs and teams reshuffling every now and then, an ancient code base mixed with everything else that was done since then by teams without a vision and concept, highly mixed user base with so many different use cases and demands...

But as Alex stated, it all just takes too long. And the team is too small based on the quantity of new features that we see.

My biggest problem with Max is that there are so many places left unchanged and not improved in the last 20 years. So many things in Max were the same when I started to use it in '98. And they just kept neglecting any evolution, and there was a lot of evolution and development in the last 10 years in the CG world.

Let's see what we get next... but how much will it be?

2019-06-24, 23:05:03
Reply #40

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Question,
 I have installed for Max 2020, and it won't come up, after install the normal way. ie the installer and it down loads the materials and 1.3 gb of them, , is there something else that need to be done to get it to work?
Thank you.

Dell Precision T7910

2019-06-25, 10:10:48
Reply #41

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Got it sorted, custom select, and 2020.
1.6gb for a render engine is quite big, I know that includes materials.

Dell Precision T7910