Author Topic: 3D Studio Max 2020  (Read 12272 times)

2019-04-09, 20:28:34
Reply #15

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Has anyone else found a solution to why 3ds max 2018/2019/2020 requires you to double-click anything in the Render Setup Dialog the first time you open it? Once it's open it works fine, but every time you close it, re-open and want to quickly disable displacement for example it doesn't respond. AD have known of this bug and apparently found the cause back in Jan 2018, there are lots of posts about it on AD forums, but there's no fix in 2+ years!

Anyone found a fix??? Will buy you a beer!!

Oh my goodness, I thought that was just me...

I have the same issue with my custom suite of tools when I open the floating window for the first time, that I have to click twice. At least I know I'm not going crazy over this alone.

2019-04-09, 20:34:17
Reply #16

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I quickly checked and our handling of 3dsmax render dialog GUI is about 5000 lines of code + 900 lines of dialogs that would have to be massively modified or possibly rewritten from scratch. As you can imagine, we do not want to do it because we would have to still use the old code for older 3dsmax versions
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-04-11, 02:42:03
Reply #17

gandhics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I quickly checked and our handling of 3dsmax render dialog GUI is about 5000 lines of code + 900 lines of dialogs that would have to be massively modified or possibly rewritten from scratch. As you can imagine, we do not want to do it because we would have to still use the old code for older 3dsmax versions

Well.. this is interesting position.
What if 3dsMax fully switch to Qt and don't support legacy UI anymore like Maya?
Will you stop selling 3dsMax plugin?

2019-04-11, 10:05:02
Reply #18

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well.. this is interesting position.
What if 3dsMax fully switch to Qt and don't support legacy UI anymore like Maya?
Will you stop selling 3dsMax plugin?
How long are using 3ds max? Did you ever heard what they delete something?

2019-04-11, 16:52:08
Reply #19

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mental Ray for example....

2019-04-11, 17:55:29
Reply #20

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mental ray was as option to install and later it was bought by NVIDIA and abandon in developing.
And render engine is a bit different, they was always semi separate as native renderer not  much people was using,  they are too fast in developing and priority was in third party renders.
All scripts what was free form CG guru still exist in max, like from blur studio etc 

2019-04-11, 18:25:14
Reply #21

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

You reckon this is an issue that can only be solved by third party plugin developers then? Not AD? Seems bizarre they would basically break something so fundamental and then leave everyone out in the cold for years.

Also, does anyone NOT have this bug with max 2018/19/20 + Corona? Because I heard noises from some people that it doesn't affect everyone, indicating it's more likely a hardware thing maybe.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-04-11, 20:27:56
Reply #22

gandhics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
3dsMax switched the entire UI to Qt as a part of move to support hidpi.
A lot if users have requested it. I was not. I did not understand why users would even care. But well...

Maya did same thing around 2011.
But, they did hard switch.
They could do it because, they did not have that many 3rd parties.
3dsMax can not do hard switch because of the load of 3rd parties.
If 3dsMax did hard switch, most free 3rd party plugins will be gone.
So, they did a trick to repaint legacy wUI with Qt so most plugin can survive.
Obviously that created many unforeseen issues. 3dsMax dev is still dealing with it.

I can understand free plugins remain legacy UI.
But, commercial plugin should move to Qt at some point.
Especially when there is a problem.
3dsMax dev mentioned they will try to find some global solution.
But, the real solution is 3rd parties moving to Qt.

If you use Arnold and ART, they don't have this issue for their settings tab because they are Qt.
Also if you use some sort of render pass manager, you will likely set values in render pass manager.
Or.. some users are not that sensitive...

2019-04-11, 20:31:34
Reply #23

gandhics

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have used from 3D Studio DOS v1. :)

2019-04-11, 21:31:27
Reply #24

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed

I have used from 3D Studio DOS v1. :)

DOS r3 for me...

2019-04-11, 22:18:24
Reply #25

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or.. some users are not that sensitive...

I had an old file with a Pflow setup that I needed to revisit in 2018. Loaded up in 2018 and realized the same double-click issue is bugging PFlow as well. Keep in mind every change to a node takes 2 minutes or more to update the flow.
Here's what happens:
- I click on a checkbox > nothing happens
- I need to click twice > OK, lesson learned
- I then switch the node, think it's not in focus, so I click twice
- I now realize the node already was focused and registered both clicks
- Flow updates for 2 minute, then registers the second click, updates again for 2 minutes
- I now click a third time to get my change to update, 2 more minutes of waiting

The result is I waited 6 minutes instead of 2 to get the result I wanted. IF you have to wait 15 minutes instead of 5 on a more complicated pflow once you accidentally hit a button twice and it quickly gets to a point where your software is not usable.

That's not being sensitive, it's about common sense in how software works everywhere else. If you don't see it... you may have a blind spot.

Back to topic - Max team starts work on a massive UI update, they deliver good work but stop even though it's not finished, causing users to complain. They realize they need to react and think they may solve it. Great, but they wasted 2 years, and it will probably take another 2 to iron out bugs that should've been fixed in the first place when things were hot. I guess a cynic could call that... long-time commitment.

2019-04-11, 22:51:45
Reply #26

gandhics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not saying that's OK.
That comment was an answer for "Because I heard noises from some people that it doesn't affect everyone".
At work, only 2-3 among 40+ complained about the renderer double click issue.

Also they never stopped UI work.
It just a lot more pressing issue has been popping up.
They had to put back windows frame on SE and TrackView.
They had to revisit Editable Poly redraw.
There has been all sort of small issues because of Qt.
They have to find a way to limit docking.
Everybody said "Just switch to Qt". "Just" is scary word.
They even have to stop feature work to address various Qt issues.

Also, even though 3dsMax dev find some remedy for Render dialog issue.
It doesn't  change the fact that 3rd party dev(Especially commercial) also need to move on.
Your host app changed the entire UI framework.

« Last Edit: 2019-04-11, 22:58:09 by gandhics »

2019-06-18, 17:10:57
Reply #27

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi everyone.

Now that 2020's been out for a while is anyone experiencing any day-to-day issues that would prevent you from upgrading? We're doing some testing here but want to ask the community... Also spotted that 2020 SP1 is out, so anyone found any issues specific to that?

Corona 4 working ok with it?

Cheers,
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-06-18, 17:24:39
Reply #28

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did anybody tested tearable viewports in max 2020.1 yet?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-06-18, 17:39:07
Reply #29

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
There was some interesting discussion...

- Max did NOT switch entirely to QT. They added QT inside it, and now are using mix of QT and non-QT.
- If we ever switch to QT inside 3ds Max, it will most likely mean we will kill Corona support for the older versions that do not have QT (I am not sure if this is 2017+ or 2018+).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)