Author Topic: 3D Studio Max 2020  (Read 12273 times)

2019-03-27, 15:42:54

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Hi,

I was wondering when you guys will be bringing out a 2020-version?

Also, do you know if autodesk did any improvements to play nice with plugins like corona, forest pack pro, etc, ... ? Cause their list of features is rather short on info, do you guys know anything more?

Grts

2019-03-28, 13:48:26
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Suggestion: never use any new Autodesk product and waiting for the first (better second) SP...

2019-03-29, 00:14:04
Reply #2

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Suggestion: never use any new Autodesk product and waiting for the first (better second) SP...

nothing is stopping you doing that, but many others like new stuff to be new. unfortunately max is relying heavily on a 3rd party eco system, so to keep new things new, we need everyone to stay up to date.

2019-03-29, 11:45:37
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
3.2 with support for max 2020 is out
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-03-30, 08:37:11
Reply #4

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
tnx Ondra.

Cecofuli: The only reason I'm keeping max atm is because of Corona renderer. I'm fed up the way Adesk is handling their customers. Have you seen the latest list in 2020? I want to check performance, if it's the same or less then 2019, I'm out by the end of the year to another package.

To try out their 2020 performance, I needed Corona, also to see if the compatibility changed. Did it get better? Worse? Same? Need to see.

Grts

2019-03-31, 13:01:27
Reply #5

Mario Rothenbühler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ROBO STUDIO GmbH
Dear Corona Team

Is there some speciel procedure to install corona on max 2020?

did not work here correctly with the default installer

any tips?

thank you

mario

ROBO STUDIO GmbH
Ringstrasse 40  | 4900 Langenthal
mr@robostudio.swiss  | Mobile: +41 794 808 193
www.robostudio.swiss

2019-04-01, 14:24:52
Reply #6

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Some time you need to uninstall, then fresh install for it to detect new software. Try that, it worked for me.

2019-04-01, 15:53:10
Reply #7

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Select custom installation method and tick the 2020 max version. In my case it only had my default old max 2016 selected, and thus wasn't installing 2020.

2019-04-02, 09:44:10
Reply #8

Mario Rothenbühler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ROBO STUDIO GmbH
it works with custom install.... thank you guys

/.mario'
ROBO STUDIO GmbH
Ringstrasse 40  | 4900 Langenthal
mr@robostudio.swiss  | Mobile: +41 794 808 193
www.robostudio.swiss

2019-04-09, 17:25:25
Reply #9

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Has anyone else found a solution to why 3ds max 2018/2019/2020 requires you to double-click anything in the Render Setup Dialog the first time you open it? Once it's open it works fine, but every time you close it, re-open and want to quickly disable displacement for example it doesn't respond. AD have known of this bug and apparently found the cause back in Jan 2018, there are lots of posts about it on AD forums, but there's no fix in 2+ years!

Anyone found a fix??? Will buy you a beer!!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-04-09, 17:34:23
Reply #10

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone else found a solution to why 3ds max 2018/2019/2020 requires you to double-click anything in the Render Setup Dialog the first time you open it? Once it's open it works fine, but every time you close it, re-open and want to quickly disable displacement for example it doesn't respond. AD have known of this bug and apparently found the cause back in Jan 2018, there are lots of posts about it on AD forums, but there's no fix in 2+ years!

There is no fix, unfortunately. AD said that 3rd parties need to update their plugins but that seems to have changed, they want to look into it. Question is, how many years will it take? As of now, no news.
They have fixed it for ART and Arnold, but there doesn't seem to be a general fix. Scanline and PFlow are still affected.

2019-04-09, 17:38:19
Reply #11

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

There is no fix, unfortunately. AD said that 3rd parties need to update their plugins but that seems to have changed, they want to look into it. Question is, how many years will it take? As of now, no news.
They have fixed it for ART and Arnold, but there doesn't seem to be a general fix. Scanline and PFlow are still affected.

Seems crazy indeed. It's clearly a UI/redraw issue with 2018/19/20, since the current versions of Corona work fine in max 2016, without this bug. And if they say the issue is present in Scanline then, well.. that's not even 3rd party. So I'm not sure it has anything whatsoever to do with any render plugins...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-04-09, 17:48:19
Reply #12

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's a side effect of the switch to Qt for the UI tech, that's why it first appeared with 2017 with the new UI.
Each UI component needs to be updated (ported over to Qt), they clearly cared most about ART and Arnold, leaving out Scanline.
Even when using ART or Arnold, the General and the Render Elements tabs still have this issue.

Yeah, it's a huge mess, and to leave it like that for 3 years... no words... Making some noise on the Area or letting them know on their blog where they presented their roadmap may help to draw some attention. Then again, rest assured they know about it and you're not the only one to complain.

My guess is... 2 years. Let's see.

2019-04-09, 19:33:25
Reply #13

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I understand one of the advantages of Qt is being cross-platform, which doesn't apply to 3ds max.
Doesn't anyone know what other practical advantages for the user is the migration to Qt ?  Besides being "modern" (that doesn't say anything for the end user).

Because so far I see only drawbacks. For example when expanding the command panel, it used to be a simple click and drag process - with the previous fixed width per column.
Now, if you don't wanna have wasted space, you have to be careful and drag and wait and drag to a certain distance in order to have two or three rows/columns.

2019-04-09, 20:22:48
Reply #14

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I understand one of the advantages of Qt is being cross-platform, which doesn't apply to 3ds max.
Doesn't anyone know what other practical advantages for the user is the migration to Qt ?  Besides being "modern" (that doesn't say anything for the end user).

Because so far I see only drawbacks. For example when expanding the command panel, it used to be a simple click and drag process - with the previous fixed width per column.
Now, if you don't wanna have wasted space, you have to be careful and drag and wait and drag to a certain distance in order to have two or three rows/columns.

Performance probably, docking may be easier to realize without hacks, and as you say it feels more modern. But there are certainly a few kinks that still need some polishing and a few things that still haven't been ported. I think the goal was a unified UI but it's not accomplished and will take some more time for sure.
Looking back, I have to admit I really like the way 2018 looks and feels compared to pre-2017 versions. But I wish the effort would not stop after 1 or 2 years of rushed work and would actually be finished off. And new UI bugs getting fixed.