Author Topic: Carved wooden look  (Read 4753 times)

2019-02-21, 18:12:38

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to create a texture to give my 3D model a wooden carved look like in the photo.
Is it easy to produce this kind of "effect" with corona. I searched the corona materials but couldn't find what i needed.
Creating realistic textures isn't really my biggest strength but I always seem to be able to create what I need after somebody points me in the right direction.

So any advice or help is very much appreciated.

2019-02-21, 22:09:08
Reply #1

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
Your best bet for that look is ambient occlusion in the diffuse slot with the proper colors being occluded/unoccluded.

2019-02-22, 08:36:43
Reply #2

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your best bet for that look is ambient occlusion in the diffuse slot with the proper colors being occluded/unoccluded.

Thanks. I will try that. I saw a few "dirty edges" tutorials for corona with ambient occlusion but didn't know it could help to achieve the carved look aswell.
I will do some tests.

2019-02-22, 15:47:55
Reply #3

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been testing a few things today

First of all, to get the ambient occlusion to work on all the carving outlines I have to use a displacement mapping.
If i don't use displacement, only the outer modeled part of the whole object and other modeled edges show ambient occlusion.

But I can't get the displacement mapping to work how it should. I always have a hard edge around a single carving. It's impossible for me te get it without.

Any ideas or a push in the right directions is very much appreciated :)

2019-02-22, 16:02:29
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
That would depend on your displacement map - can you share what that looks like? It would have to be greyscale, with shades of grey, rather than just, say, black lines for the edges and white for the rest (which would indeed mean just displacing the hard lines).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-02-22, 16:35:51
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Few tips from me.

Work on displacement first. Create plane, add turbosmooth modifier with as many iteration as your PC can handle without lagging, add displace modifier on top, set its strength to some arbitrary value (you will adjust that later) and plug displacement texmpap in its map slot. Procedural cellular would be the first candidat. Now play with settings, untill you feel happy about look.

Once you found good displacement map, move to colour. Plug AO to Corona material's diffuse slot, choose calculate from inside mode, set occluded and unoccluded colours to what you need (you can set them to some contrastish colours at first to better see what's going on), set colour spread to 1 and adjust max distance untill you feel happy with width of secondary colour. Now, set colour spread back to 0 and you should have pretty decent result. Interactive rendering is highly recommended while playing with material settings.

Here's my very quick attempt with described technique. With some more time and effort, you can achieve even better result.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-02-22, 23:19:56
Reply #6

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Few tips from me.

Work on displacement first. Create plane, add turbosmooth modifier with as many iteration as your PC can handle without lagging, add displace modifier on top, set its strength to some arbitrary value (you will adjust that later) and plug displacement texmpap in its map slot. Procedural cellular would be the first candidat. Now play with settings, untill you feel happy about look.

Once you found good displacement map, move to colour. Plug AO to Corona material's diffuse slot, choose calculate from inside mode, set occluded and unoccluded colours to what you need (you can set them to some contrastish colours at first to better see what's going on), set colour spread to 1 and adjust max distance untill you feel happy with width of secondary colour. Now, set colour spread back to 0 and you should have pretty decent result. Interactive rendering is highly recommended while playing with material settings.

Here's my very quick attempt with described technique. With some more time and effort, you can achieve even better result.

Thank you so much for this explanation. This is what i was looking for. I will try to recreate this with your explanation. I will let you know how it goes. This really helps to improve my skills.

2019-02-23, 12:28:55
Reply #7

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You also could put AO in SSS slot. At photo it looks to me like sss effect and this scrapes you can add to model in sculpt software very easy, AO it's just fake method to increase this visibility if it's real wood material

2019-02-24, 14:47:05
Reply #8

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help everybody. I'm getting the results that I was hoping for.

2019-02-24, 19:40:42
Reply #9

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is a quick ten minute test.

2019-02-25, 12:34:06
Reply #10

flood

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Looks totally real. I'm getting simular results now after some testing en tweaking.

2019-02-27, 14:19:29
Reply #11

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VERY NICE material!

2019-02-27, 23:49:56
Reply #12

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
That looks badass dfcorona

2019-02-28, 01:02:31
Reply #13

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, sorry been busy, wanted to give some info for you guys to reproduce. 

1) Use a displacement modifier on your objects using a cellular map.
2) Adjust displacement to get good concave
3) Use invert of the same cellular map in a composite over the wood texture to get the dark or highlighted edges.

Hope that helps.

2019-03-01, 11:14:49
Reply #14

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just what i needed today!
Im struggling however to only get this effect on the edges of a box using the AO map to mask
Im trying to get the edges of wooden beams to look carved.

Any thoughts?
Can anyone provide an example scene of their setup?
« Last Edit: 2019-03-01, 11:28:04 by jpjapers »