Author Topic: CoronaBitmap: Blur at 0.01 by default  (Read 7210 times)

2019-02-06, 17:22:32

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just wanted to suggest to make the default of the bitmap blurring at almost zero.
Thanks.

2019-02-06, 17:38:01
Reply #1

FlorianW.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Code: [Select]
for bmp in getClassInstances bitmapTexture do (
bmp.coords.blur = 0.0
)

You're welcome :)

Ps: Also Bitmap nodes in max have nothing to do with Corona Development (except you are using CoronaBitmap), so Corona Dev's won't be able to change something max related like that.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-06, 17:44:15 by sequana »
3dsMax 2021 - Corona 5

2019-02-08, 13:34:03
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Would it really benefit to have it at 0,01 by default? Are there some common issues with 1,0?
I am guessing (but just guessing) that having all textures with blurring set to 0,01 by default could result in some flickering artifacts due to hard edges (in animations).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-02-08, 16:43:07
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would it really benefit to have it at 0,01 by default? Are there some common issues with 1,0?
I am guessing (but just guessing) that having all textures with blurring set to 0,01 by default could result in some flickering artifacts due to hard edges (in animations).

To get the nice details in your textures, especially these days where closeup vignette style shots are part and parcel of a suite of marketing images for architecture/interiors.  A blur value of 1 is no where near detailed enough.

2019-02-08, 18:08:58
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I think it makes a big difference. To get sharp textures you need to lower the blurring.
About animations, yes, but most of the work done with corona is still images I believe. Anyone doing an animation would need to raise the blurring.

2019-02-08, 20:22:21
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I vote against this request. My reasons:
  • that would create disparity between native bitmap and Corona bitmap filtering.
  • i think that in many (most?) cases, textures are dragged and dropped into material editor as native bitmaps and then converted to Corona bitmaps with converter so filterring "issue" would remain.
  • in my opinion, having blurring at lowest value, isn't the brightest idea and especially that's true for bump maps.
  • this change would ease life for some users, but would create additional burden to the others.
  • if you want to make bluring at 0.01 by default, then it's probably would make sense to change interpolation to bicubic as well, but that would make Corona bitmap much slower than native bitmap.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-02-10, 19:57:51
Reply #6

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    Actually, let me rephrase my request:

Could CoronaBitmap have an option to not blur the bitmap at all?

In a test I just did I can get sharper textures with standard 3Ds Max's bitmap than with CoronaBitmap.

I tried standard bitmap with 0.01 blurring and CoronaBitmap with 0.01 as well. There's a difference.
    Why? Am I missing something?

See attached please. The layer Background is the original image. The rest are rendered on the top viewport.

Edit:
  • if you want to make bluring at 0.01 by default, then it's probably would make sense to change interpolation to bicubic as well, but that would make Corona bitmap much slower than native bitmap.
This would take too long if I need to do it for every texture.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-10, 20:04:52 by lupaz »

2019-02-10, 20:16:36
Reply #7

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-02-10, 20:55:03
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, batch material editor is highly recomended!

See attached please. The layer Background is the original image. The rest are rendered on the top viewport.

I see, you tested against bilinear filtering interpolation only? Corona bitmap offers two more interpolation methods, bicubic for superior quality and nearest neighbour for ultimate sharpness ;] You should include them in your test as well.

2019-02-10, 22:14:17
Reply #9

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, batch material editor is highly recomended!

I see, you tested against bilinear filtering interpolation only? Corona bitmap offers two more interpolation methods, bicubic for superior quality and nearest neighbour for ultimate sharpness ;] You should include them in your test as well.

Why?
There's something I'm not understanding I think.
Are you saying that in order to have a texture unmodified (not blurred) by CoronaBitmap I need to choose an interpolation method?

I rather use the standard Bitmap node and choose almost 0 blurring.

Why can't CoronaBitmap give the option to not blur the textures?

2019-02-10, 22:25:40
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can disable filtering (and thus blurring) completely in native bitmap loader by choosing none as filtering option. My guess, it's the same, or nearly the same, as choosing nearest neighbour in Corona bitmap and setting blurring to 0,01

Why?

I just saw that you're changing filtering in native bitmap, but sticking to default in Corona bitmap, so i thought it would be fair to either leave default filtering in both loaders and change only blurring, or test all possible combinations.

2019-02-10, 22:42:16
Reply #11

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can disable filtering (and thus blurring) completely in native bitmap loader by choosing none as filtering option. My guess, it's the same, or nearly the same, as choosing nearest neighbour in Corona bitmap and setting blurring to 0,01
I just saw that you're changing filtering in native bitmap, but sticking to default in Corona bitmap, so i thought it would be fair to either leave default filtering in both loaders and change only blurring, or test all possible combinations.

Ok. Let's discard my "no filtering" test. Pyramidal is the default.

With the native bitmap loader at 0.01 I get sharper results than with CoronaBirmap at 0.01.
As far as I can see, there's no difference in CoronaBitmap between blur at 1 and blur at 0.01.

2019-02-17, 20:48:53
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
With the native bitmap loader at 0.01 I get sharper results than with CoronaBirmap at 0.01.
As far as I can see, there's no difference in CoronaBitmap between blur at 1 and blur at 0.01.

Can you show or share your testing setup? I get completely opposite results than you - Corona bitmap at blur 0,01 is clearly distinct from blur at 1,0, while both native bitmap and Corona bitmap are virtually indistinguishable at blur 0,01.

2019-02-19, 16:43:13
Reply #13

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I wouldn't want .01 value as default as I only apply it to albedo maps, but to be able to right click the spinner and have the value go to .01 like all other maps would be beneficial/make things faster.

I have to admit though, after my last project I have realized that the native bitmap is better than coronabitmap, especially when it comes to opacity maps and masks. Coronabitmap seems to be better when using HDRI though.

2019-02-20, 17:04:18
Reply #14

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
I agree with Romullus, 0.01 is great for diffuse but brings up all sorts of issues with other slots (ie, bump as mentioned).