Author Topic: Upgrade processor  (Read 3482 times)

2018-09-30, 12:07:00

INgenia

• Active Users
  • I only know that I know nothing
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
I would like to upgrade my current processor, this is an i7-5960X and my idea is for a Xeon E5-2699 V4. What do the experts think about this change? th motherboard  is a Msi X99S XPOWER AC
A part of this I would like change the main ssd for a M.2 1T. Worth it?

Thanks in advance.

2018-09-30, 17:17:40
Reply #1

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!
You'll cut your rendertimes by half, but will also get less responsive system because of lower cpu frequency.
For me xeon workstations are now only for rendernodes, amd threadripper 2950x with the same or faster rendering speed will increase your productivity in most cases compared to single 22-core xeon.
As for ssd - it depends on what your workflow is. For just rendering simple interiors better spend this money on faster cpu or buy more DDR4 memory.

2018-10-01, 09:39:51
Reply #2

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, what processor do you recommend in order to do my pc faster, in all senses)
I have 64 g ram, it works fine with this quantity
Thanks for the help

2018-10-01, 14:36:42
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It all comes down to your budget - your best bet is to check what processors fall within your budget, then use the Benchmark at https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/results to see how they perform, how much extra power you will be getting for any extra price, and so on. BTW, general rule is Xeons are really only any good when used in pairs, and if you are going for a single processor rather than a dual, I'd recommend not using Xeons.

As you can see from the benchmark, the "best" set up in terms of raw speed is a system with 8 Xeons in it - but this is likely not within your budget :) It really is budget that determines what is best.

EDIT - PS, also, you will be replacing the motherboard too? If not, that will further limit what you can use depending on what chipset your motherboard supports.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-10-01, 15:18:03
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Uhm, the Xeon 2699v4 is a monster chip no doubt, especially if you pair it up with another 2699v4. That being said, I would not recommend it.

The local prices for the 2699v4 go from 4000 EUR and upward and truth be told, you'll get about ~2x more rendering performance if you opt for a Threadripper 2990WX. The Threadripper costs around 2000 EUR. To me thats a bit of a no-brainer.

If you do go down that route you'll get faster single thread clocks from the Threadripper plus rendering will be like twice the speed.

That does mean you'll need to change your motherboard but hey, you've got 2000 EUR in your pocket from the price difference and you can either load up on RAM or buy yourself a nice graphic card to go along in the new build.

The Threadripper is superior when it comes to rendering. In fact, its THE chip right now for fast performance unless you've have insane amounts of money to spend (like 6000+).

That being said, the Threadripper does fall short when it comes to certain tasks. The way the chip is put together introduces some internal latencies which is not cool for memory bandwith hungry applications. If you are a CG artist that probably is not exactly in your ballpark though. The single thread speed will actually make it more responsive than the 2699v4 in most cases. Also, you need to make sure that the motherboard you are buying has full support for the newest Threadrippers CPUs and with AMD CPUs its also good to pay attention to which RAM you are buying. With the Intel CPU you'd probably be just fine if you buy some semi-ok RAM and motherboard.

So yeah, I do think you have better options out there.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-10-01, 15:44:15
Reply #5

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same as others, I would suggest a new Threadripper system and keeping the 5960x as a node or just selling it.
For less hassle with boards and cooling, the 2950X might be good choice to start with.

2018-10-02, 11:30:43
Reply #6

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your replies buddies¡¡¡
I have clear, Xeon is better in pair, the web of benchmark is good but I have missed a socket´s row, so I visited Intel and I have see this model,  Intel Extreme i7 i9 6950x. On Ebay there are from 580€ from Germany or less from China......... Maybe interesting????? I will see differences in render times, for example?
I can not change the motherboard o a new workstation for the moment....... :( Maximun, I can upgrate the current pc.

Talk soon¡

2018-10-02, 12:11:43
Reply #7

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, what cooling and case are you running? Is your CPU overclocked?
And most important - how much can you really get for your current cpu? (and don't forget that ebay takes 10% if you sell there)
This should establish a performance and price difference. The 6950X is faster for sure, but will it be worth it in price difference?
And again, under good cooling, you can get a lot out of it, or not so much, depending on your luck with OC.

2018-10-03, 09:23:43
Reply #8

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First of all, what cooling and case are you running? Is your CPU overclocked?
And most important - how much can you really get for your current cpu? (and don't forget that ebay takes 10% if you sell there)
This should establish a performance and price difference. The 6950X is faster for sure, but will it be worth it in price difference?
And again, under good cooling, you can get a lot out of it, or not so much, depending on your luck with OC.

Hi Jann,
-Noctua nh-d14
-It is not overclocked
-I can not sell this pc right now, only upgrade. :)

Thanks again.
Talk soon¡

2018-10-03, 09:33:23
Reply #9

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What I meant was that the 6950X costs a lot more than your 5960X. And the speed difference is probably not worth it.
Research overclocking, or get someone who knows what they're doing. That could get you ~20% more speed.
Even if you invest in better cooling, that's a part you can reuse for other builds.

2018-10-03, 16:39:44
Reply #10

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What I meant was that the 6950X costs a lot more than your 5960X. And the speed difference is probably not worth it.
Research overclocking, or get someone who knows what they're doing. That could get you ~20% more speed.
Even if you invest in better cooling, that's a part you can reuse for other builds.

Ok, I take note and better to hope that I can catch an AMD
Thanks for the admices.
Best