Author Topic: How does DR send assets?  (Read 1105 times)

2018-08-14, 11:36:11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

I was just wondering about the way DR sends files to nodes. If the nodes are on the same LAN with the same drives mapped surely there shouldnt be a need to send the files and they could just be loaded directly from the networked drives?
If it loaded them direct would there be any speed gains? I assume the tests have already been done but it just seems silly to send large max files across a network when they could just be loaded direct?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2018-08-14, 11:43:55 by jpjapers »

2018-08-14, 13:21:26
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
If the nodes are on the same LAN with the same drives mapped surely there shouldnt be a need to send the files and they could just be loaded directly from the networked drives?

Yes, that's what's happening if you properly define your asset paths. Only missing assets are transferred to nodes currently by the Corona DR system. A map with a filepath "\\supernas\textures\brick\fancybricks_d.jpg" would be just loaded "directly" (as you name it, still over network!) by a slave.

If it loaded them direct would there be any speed gains? I assume the tests have already been done but it just seems silly to send large max files across a network when they could just be loaded direct?

They have to be transfered to the node anyway: "Directly" means the node fetches the assets over the network (mapped drive or UNC). "Indirect" would mean Corona DR system sends the file and afterwards the node loads it from disk.

Both times 1x network transfer. So the question would be: Does Corona DR transfers the files faster than max using Windows network? I presume there is a slight advantage in speed loading them "natively" but the difference should not be relevant.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-08-14, 13:52:55
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If the nodes are on the same LAN with the same drives mapped surely there shouldnt be a need to send the files and they could just be loaded directly from the networked drives?

Yes, that's what's happening if you properly define your asset paths. Only missing assets are transferred to nodes currently by the Corona DR system. A map with a filepath "\\supernas\textures\brick\fancybricks_d.jpg" would be just loaded "directly" (as you name it, still over network!) by a slave.

They have to be transfered to the node anyway: "Directly" means the node fetches the assets over the network (mapped drive or UNC). "Indirect" would mean Corona DR system sends the file and afterwards the node loads it from disk.

Both times 1x network transfer. So the question would be: Does Corona DR transfers the files faster than max using Windows network? I presume there is a slight advantage in speed loading them "natively" but the difference should not be relevant.

Good Luck

Ah that makes perfect sense thanks.