Author Topic: Rackmount Render Farm starter...  (Read 2509 times)

2018-07-18, 18:20:21

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Hey,

With recent projects ramping up in content (ForestPack over large areas, animations etc) - I'm thinking of expanding my tools with some additional render nodes. For space/practicality it seems the best option is something rack mounted - and there seems to be a decent market for refurbished/second hand rack servers in the UK.

Rather than build myself, I've been looking at these guys - http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk, specifically something based on these units - http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hp-proliant-dl360e-gen8-sff-drives-configure-to-order/...

My current choice is:-
 - 2x E5-2450L 1.80Ghz 8c Xeons
 - 64GB RAM
 - 300GB HDD

Alternatively, I could jump up to the next rackmount model (the DL360p Gen8) - which goes into newer/more powerful processors, but ends up almost doubling the price... the plan being to buy another one later rather than spending more now?

It's my first venture into render nodes for about 5-6 years, so would value any advice/experience people have with this sort of thing!

Thanks!

2018-07-19, 14:10:45
Reply #1

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have no experience with rack mounted server builds, but 2 things worry me looking at this.
1. Those two Xeons combined will probably lag behind the rather mainstream Ryzen 7 cpus.
2. Any server hardware is usually loud, since it's meant to be in a separate room. So I'd avoid that for home use.

So, I'd rather build a compact matx box with Ryzen 7 1700 in it.
For example, I've built such a system in Thermaltake V21 case, and they can theoretically even be stacked on top of each other :D

2018-07-19, 14:13:50
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I have no experience with rack mounted server builds, but 2 things worry me looking at this.
1. Those two Xeons combined will probably lag behind the rather mainstream Ryzen 7 cpus.
2. Any server hardware is usually loud, since it's meant to be in a separate room. So I'd avoid that for home use.

For example, I've built such a system in Thermaltake V21 case, and they can theoretically even be stacked on top of each other :D

I've got to second this. Plus with the Ryzens / Threadrippers you'd get a new CPU with a full warranty.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-07-23, 12:24:08
Reply #3

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio

Thanks for this - the more I've thought about it, I've realised that I have my previous workstation kicking around. Step 1 will be to convert that into something usable as a render node (primarily by getting a smaller case, like the one you suggest). If that works out well, then I can always add another newbuild system.

2018-09-06, 09:36:19
Reply #4

unix_programmer

• Users
    • View Profile
You can also find good prices for these 2 types of servers, already build DL360e Gen8 and HP DL360p Gen8, arounds 15 builds. Maybe you will find a better price for the same configuration than on configure to order.

2018-09-21, 05:03:59
Reply #5

springate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry if running away from the original thread, but i'd like to know what is the hardware needed for a render slave, if anyone can help me i'll be glad!