Author Topic: fault-prone Threadripper System  (Read 2309 times)

2018-07-16, 09:32:18

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi good morning,

I have a question which engages me quite a few weeks. I have bought a Threadripper 1950x System last year an it works ok, not that stunning as I was hoping and how it could have boosted renderings.
I am not sure, but it ist not 100% the render time which gets on my nerves, but more the 3ds Max lethargy. I have an ASrock Taichi Mainboard and 64GB G.Skill Flare X 2400 (too slow?) RAM and SSD (crucial 750GB mx200) + Hitachi 4TB.  The PSU is a 700W Cougar VTX. + Nvidia 1060 6gb card. +NH U14S TR4-SP3.

Not that seldom (1-3/month) I get BSOD which definitely sucks. (I tried 24h Prime and checked Ram etc.)

I use it for hobby rendering with the pleasure of a nice picture or visualizing an Idea for myself.

What do you guys think might help or would you recommend to do as another step or if I should send the whole system back to the reseller, who built it. (Mindfactory)

Another question is, would you think a 32 core TR could speed up 3ds Max as well. I have read, the usage of all cores (XFR?) might be better or do you think the PSU would be overstrained?

Thanks for all Ideas, but right now it doesn´t make that much fun to use this (loud and buggy) system.

Best regards

Fritz   

2018-07-16, 09:55:19
Reply #1

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Troubleshooting is a pain, but let's try some options.
Do you have the latest bios installed and reset to defaults?
Is your ram listed on your motherboards supported ram list? (check the exact model on the sticks)
Using AMD power preset in windows Power Options?
Windows 10 all updated and all drivers from Asrock mb page installed?

Other than that, have you tried running memtest86+ from a usb stick to check the ram? (might be good to leave for the night or longer to get at least a few passes)
GPU sitting in nice and fit?

The BSOD also usually give some kind of code, that at least sometimes points in the direction of the problem (or rules out certain parts like gpu etc).
I personally don't like that PSU. It's cheap and only Bronze. But it could have nothing to do with your problem.

As for 32 core TR, current boards probably won't support them well. Maybe on stock speeds at best. But we need to wait and see.

2018-07-16, 13:30:28
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Like Jann, I would also advise to make sure all possible updates are installed first (drivers, bios, Windows updates).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-16, 21:11:19
Reply #3

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your tips and detailed Ideas.

I updated all the drivers, bios, AMD energy preset etc. right at the beginning and used the driver verifier, but that didn´t fix the problem.
All those classics as memtest, prime etc. didn´t show any errors, but I will try to test ram by ram chip in single steps.
The hint with the GPU, if it fits well, could be an option because this is something I haven´t tried. 

It is crazy, that the BSOD are always different. "unexpected kernel mode trap", "IRQL_not_less_or_equal","memory management" etc.

Sometimes I think it is a ticking time bomb under the hood. I think it might be the ram, because there had been reportings of new but damaged G.Skill chips I am just wondering, that memtest didn´t complain anything at all.

I had some "seldom" moments the PSU made some crackling noise (not always when it is under heavy usage and 100%CPU workload) is this normal, my other PC had been very silent and the new system, (CPU fan as well) is quite noisy.

But I know it is by far too general for a remote diagnosis, so I apologize for my long post because I think I need to ask the reseller to recheck the whole system. There are too many sources for errors. 

But thanks for your kind posts!

2018-07-17, 11:04:09
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think any kind of noises are normal, especially crackling from the PSU.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-07-17, 14:46:32
Reply #5

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, any non-fan noise from PSU is bad. Hence my worries that it might not be good enough for this system.

Memtesting the ram one stick at a time gives more passes, so higher chance to catch a single bad stick. If not, might be board.
Was the ram in supported list on Asrock page?

Either way, if the system is under warranty and the shop is good, just report the PSU sounds and memory errors and let them test. It's usually easier to just swap parts out, which they can do.