Author Topic: ZDepth & Glass  (Read 2199 times)

2018-05-28, 01:24:18

LC3D

Hey all,

I'm new to corona and wanting to use it to render an animation. On my first test I've noticed that you can't '"see through" the glass as it were, without excluding it from the masks...
is there away around this? as i need to have a mask for the glass for post but also would like to be able to control DOF in post..?

Many thanks.

Luke.

2018-05-28, 07:19:06
Reply #1

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
AFAIK, it's only possible by using DeepEXR ...
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-05-28, 07:30:24
Reply #2

LC3D

AFAIK, it's only possible by using DeepEXR ...

Thanks man, could you elaborate further for me?

2018-05-28, 11:16:39
Reply #3

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly, DeepEXR output allows up to 16 levels of transparency per pixel. That means that if you absolutely need to do your DOF in postproduction, with scenes involving refractions, you'll need to use a renderer able to output DeepEXR data, and then do you post in something like Nuke or Fusion. Photoshop doesn't handle DeepEXR obviously.
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2018-05-28, 23:42:08
Reply #4

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Deep samples points not only in x and y, but also in z.

For example, if you had two objects, BoxA partially obscuring SphereB and rendered them separately, you would need to know which one was supposed to be in front when merging them together in a post program, like Nuke. But if you rendered the two objects in deep format and used a 'deep merge', you don't need to know which object was supposed to be on top, as the sample data in z knows how to arrange the resulting pixels.

Another example, if you rendered out a volume in deep (ignoring the fact that the file could be several hundred MB), and an object in deep, a 'deep merge' will know where to place the object inside the volume and have it appropriately occluded.

2018-05-29, 00:56:17
Reply #5

LC3D

ok cool - thanks for that...

was really just wanting something that would work in the same way vray renders its zdepth pass, such that i can use both zdepth and Masks in post (AE/PS)...

2018-05-29, 12:36:42
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's a quite complex issue actually - in zdepth glass should show objects which are behind it, but should also show reflections and refractions. We have this logged as a feature request in our internal tracker, and it seems that users would like this to behave the same way as in V-Ray. We will keep you informed on the development.

(internal note: id=235101326)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-29, 13:29:57
Reply #7

LC3D

It's a quite complex issue actually - in zdepth glass should show objects which are behind it, but should also show reflections and refractions. We have this logged as a feature request in our internal tracker, and it seems that users would like this to behave the same way as in V-Ray. We will keep you informed on the development.

(internal note: id=235101326)

Yeah for me if it worked like vray that would be ideal.

Cheers

Luke.