Author Topic: VRAY NEXT AND CORONA  (Read 8911 times)

2018-05-25, 08:39:02

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Hi

I like a lot I would say have both VRay and Corona Licences.
I am using Corona more and more ,even though it crashes a lot I have to say on large projects.

What is the general consensus on the upgrading to Vray Next, as it seems to have moved on a lot, if one to believe the hype.
But the prices have gone up too, the license I have with up to now ( 1 pc and 5 nodes)  has always been the latest, is now €1,000 to upgrade.

There was nothing really we have not seen at the Total Chaos meeting, I for one would be a bit annoyed if I had gone to see what has been on the net for the past month.
May be the workshops had more in depth updates.

Phil

Dell Precision T7910

2018-05-25, 11:49:50
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Phil, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this message, sorry. I am not even sure if you are disappointed with V-Ray Next/Corona Renderer/Total Chaos, or if you are happy about those.

I like a lot I would say have both VRay and Corona Licences.
I am using Corona more and more ,even though it crashes a lot I have to say on large projects.
Yes, Corona and V-Ray are a popular combo, and we are happy about it.
If Corona crashes for you, please contact us about it at support@corona-renderer.com. It is our priority to fix crashes, and it will not only benefit you, but also other users.

What is the general consensus on the upgrading to Vray Next, as it seems to have moved on a lot, if one to believe the hype.
But the prices have gone up too, the license I have with up to now ( 1 pc and 5 nodes)  has always been the latest, is now €1,000 to upgrade.
V-Ray Next is the newest version of V-Ray. It's faster, easier to use, has many new features. "Just" that. Pretty much the same as with other software updates. If you are interested in it, you can purchase it. If you have any feedback about V-Ray Next or its pricing, please contact Chaos Group about it. We are still two separate teams with two separate products. ;)
Right now there is no special offer for V-Ray + Corona users. You cannot upgrade from Corona to V-Ray or vice versa with some special discount applied. You can buy Corona, you can buy V-Ray, you are more than welcome to buy both, depending on your needs.

There was nothing really we have not seen at the Total Chaos meeting, I for one would be a bit annoyed if I had gone to see what has been on the net for the past month.
May be the workshops had more in depth updates.
I did not understand these two sentences, sorry. Can you please explain what you mean by that? I have been to the Total Chaos event and have had a workshop there, so maybe I can help clarify things a bit.

Best,
Marcin
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-25, 12:40:32
Reply #2

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Thanks

Ya I knew all that, been in the business for years now and using both pieces of software since they came out.

The last part.............

Total Chaos.........The Keynote speech...there was nothing new.

I was amazed that the guy from Nvidia showed the same demo as they showed over a month ago.........what was the point.

I also am amazed when they show hardware worth €100,000 + which is out of the reach of most of us.
The cloud rendering looks interesting.

Dell Precision T7910

2018-05-25, 14:48:07
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Philip!

Sorry you didn't find much of interest in the Keynote. I know that from the Corona side, there was lots of new information not publicly released before, such as our research into intelligent caustics, cloud rendering, Scatter Pro, considering a version for Archicad and inviting thoughts and feedback on that, plans for cross compatibility between Max and C4D, just what we are considering for GPU acceleration, research into machine and deep learning for improving rendering efficiency, research into how to stylize renders to give "architectural sketches" as an end result, and our upcoming presence at SIGGRAPH - all of that was new info. Can't speak to what others showed in their Keynotes :)

And of course the Keynote was just the introductory taster. I believe the full two days worth of presentations are out now, and from us there were three other things, Jaroslav's presentation on research into 3D printing and how it uses rendering technology to get good looking 3D prints (and how this relates to nuclear reactors), Ondra's review of architectural rendering and what is the same and what has changed over the years, and Marcin's Masterclass teaching some parts from the Corona Academy. Add in awesome presentations from the likes of Ian Spriggs (I didn't get to see many, as was at the booth, but I did see that one which is why I call it out, it was great!) and many many more.

Then add in things like the booth - a chance to meet, network, chat business or just chat, ask the technical questions you've always wanted to ask face to face, and see some features from Corona Renderer 2 (not everyone is able to try out the daily builds); well with all that in there, all the attendees really enjoyed the conference and got a lot out of it, on many many levels! Even seeing the presentations on YouTube is not the same value as being there - come along and try one out, I am sure you'll find it worth it!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-05-25, 17:37:00
Reply #4

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
That's great, thank you, I didn't realise all that was coming out at all.

Phil

Dell Precision T7910

2018-05-25, 22:07:54
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Philip!

Sorry you didn't find much of interest in the Keynote. I know that from the Corona side, there was lots of new information not publicly released before, such as our research into intelligent caustics, cloud rendering, Scatter Pro, considering a version for Archicad and inviting thoughts and feedback on that, plans for cross compatibility between Max and C4D, just what we are considering for GPU acceleration, research into machine and deep learning for improving rendering efficiency, research into how to stylize renders to give "architectural sketches" as an end result, and our upcoming presence at SIGGRAPH - all of that was new info. Can't speak to what others showed in their Keynotes :)

And of course the Keynote was just the introductory taster. I believe the full two days worth of presentations are out now, and from us there were three other things, Jaroslav's presentation on research into 3D printing and how it uses rendering technology to get good looking 3D prints (and how this relates to nuclear reactors), Ondra's review of architectural rendering and what is the same and what has changed over the years, and Marcin's Masterclass teaching some parts from the Corona Academy. Add in awesome presentations from the likes of Ian Spriggs (I didn't get to see many, as was at the booth, but I did see that one which is why I call it out, it was great!) and many many more.

Then add in things like the booth - a chance to meet, network, chat business or just chat, ask the technical questions you've always wanted to ask face to face, and see some features from Corona Renderer 2 (not everyone is able to try out the daily builds); well with all that in there, all the attendees really enjoyed the conference and got a lot out of it, on many many levels! Even seeing the presentations on YouTube is not the same value as being there - come along and try one out, I am sure you'll find it worth it!

Honestly so excited for the gpu denoising a la Next but the stylised renders is honestly the utopia for me. Once i have that, the amount of questions i get to my inbox will reduce drastically. Corona produces renders so well that people assume because they look photoreal all the design decisions have been made. Having that sketchy look can really help sell an idea as an unfinished concept.

I just watched the next presentation and theres some really cool stuff i hope the corona team can emulate in future versions

2018-05-25, 22:23:07
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
and from us there were three other things, Jaroslav's presentation on research into 3D printing and how it uses rendering technology to get good looking 3D prints (and how this relates to nuclear reactors), Ondra's review of architectural rendering and what is the same and what has changed over the years, and Marcin's Masterclass teaching some parts from the Corona Academy.
Is it possible to watch those talks somwhere?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-26, 01:23:03
Reply #7

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
and from us there were three other things, Jaroslav's presentation on research into 3D printing and how it uses rendering technology to get good looking 3D prints (and how this relates to nuclear reactors), Ondra's review of architectural rendering and what is the same and what has changed over the years, and Marcin's Masterclass teaching some parts from the Corona Academy.

+1, I looked around and couldn't find anything other than the Keynote...?

2018-05-27, 12:51:44
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-05-27, 17:32:41
Reply #9

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it crashes a lot I have to say on large projects.
I do not agree. to me vray crash more often even gives screen of death what was never with corona. 3ds max is not stable even more by the way, it depend of your 3ds  version too

2018-05-28, 14:38:13
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
They probably need to edit the vids and then publish them. AFAIK all/most of the speeches were recorded.

it crashes a lot I have to say on large projects.
I do not agree. to me vray crash more often even gives screen of death what was never with corona. 3ds max is not stable even more by the way, it depend of your 3ds  version too
BSOD is not caused by 3d software - see: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000595168
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-29, 17:53:21
Reply #11

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
BSOD is not caused by 3d software
Off cause it caused by drivers what used by software and making system unstable at load. I just say what i am using corona often and never happened BSOD, really never, but with vray just start rendering with vray scene from other guy and this happens

2018-05-29, 18:46:21
Reply #12

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, technically OS and drivers are also software :D Maru meant application software running in user space, such as Corona - we wouldn't touch kernel-space programming with 10 foot pole, exactly because of this - then we could cause instability/BSODs. Also it is not really necessary for renderers :D (well, except for measuring CPU speed)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)