Author Topic: Win 10 memory management.  (Read 4019 times)

2018-02-12, 08:01:16

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I used win 7 for years and I recently updated to win 10. I have noticed that memory management is much worse with win 10 or is it corona behaving differently with win 10.

My scene may take memory 12 gigs. But when I have used interactive renderer for awhile and made some test renders I notice that my scene won't render or pre calculation is really slow. When I check my memory consumption it's something like 20 gigs and I don't have memory left for rendering. I have 32 gigs of ram. Now I have to regularly shut down max and other apps to free memory and then start max again. It's staring to be quite annoying.

So scene has eaten 8 gigs of ram when doing test renders and interactive renders. Is this normal with win 10 or is my memory management settings wrong in win 10?

Can you give any advice for win 10 memory management? And do you have the same problem win 10?

I used to have something similar with max 2008 and win 7. Max had a bug where it would fill memory eventually and you had to clear memory with script. Could this be something similar. I am using max 2014. I didn't have this kind of memory problems with win 7.

2018-02-12, 13:24:46
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you using default windows 10 memory management options?
Were you using exactly the same PC with the same software, only with Windows 7, and everything was fine then?

For now I can only recommend trying some memory optimization tips for Corona: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000023310
And a guide on memory management in Windows: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=17892.0
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-02-12, 20:52:36
Reply #2

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was using exactly the same machine with win 7. With win 7 I ran out of memory many times but it was always because my scene was too heavy and optimization was enough. Nothing ate my memory slowly.

I have tried to alter win 10 memory management and changed the swap drive to my m2 drive but win 10 won't save the settings. It always defaults back to default settings.

2018-02-13, 11:27:29
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This has imho nothing to do with Windows 10 but 3dsMax and Corona combination and was written about sufficiently to prove it.

Your memory consumption (of the combo) will rise after subsequent rendering (normal or IR) and won't get back. Corona can't flush all the data.
This has been proven times in comparison to Vray.

It usually isn't 'too big' issue since Windows will swap data around during the early rendering part (usually precomp, which is when mem consumption rises to astronomic values), but usually is problem with final high-res rendering.

I have 64GB memory, but when I do final 8k rendering with displacement, I have to restart 3dsMax if I need to restart rendering because of something I forgot. The second rendering would run out of memory that wasn't flushed back after quitting and displacement/GI precomp/etc... would just take forever while Windows would be trying to swap data that 3dsMax would be hogging.

I've seen the fault is being given to Autodesk since Corona can't force it clean up everything but still, it's the combo that is power-hungry.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-02-13, 11:28:01
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I have tried to alter win 10 memory management and changed the swap drive to my m2 drive but win 10 won't save the settings. It always defaults back to default settings.
That's odd, but remember that you need to confirm the changes first with the "set" button, and then you need to restart your PC for this to take effect. 
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-02-17, 11:31:38
Reply #5

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This has imho nothing to do with Windows 10 but 3dsMax and Corona combination and was written about sufficiently to prove it.

Your memory consumption (of the combo) will rise after subsequent rendering (normal or IR) and won't get back. Corona can't flush all the data.
This has been proven times in comparison to Vray.

It usually isn't 'too big' issue since Windows will swap data around during the early rendering part (usually precomp, which is when mem consumption rises to astronomic values), but usually is problem with final high-res rendering.

I have 64GB memory, but when I do final 8k rendering with displacement, I have to restart 3dsMax if I need to restart rendering because of something I forgot. The second rendering would run out of memory that wasn't flushed back after quitting and displacement/GI precomp/etc... would just take forever while Windows would be trying to swap data that 3dsMax would be hogging.

I've seen the fault is being given to Autodesk since Corona can't force it clean up everything but still, it's the combo that is power-hungry.

Thanks for the reply that this is common issue. And what you described is just what I am facing. I no longer blame win 10 for that.

2018-03-05, 15:20:23
Reply #6

Dung (Ivan)

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I've tried to reproduce your issue, unfortunately my memory clears after I close IR or Rendering.

I've recorded 5GB increase in memory consumption when Rendering a scene which then decreases to 3GB after I cancel the rendering process. While there is definitely something amiss, it doesn't account for your problems.

That said, I'll try to find a way to reproduce the issue on our side. But I might need your assistance in the future if me efforts prove fruitless. Thank you for your patience :)

2019-03-08, 13:25:22
Reply #7

dsys

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I've tried to reproduce your issue, unfortunately my memory clears after I close IR or Rendering.

I've recorded 5GB increase in memory consumption when Rendering a scene which then decreases to 3GB after I cancel the rendering process. While there is definitely something amiss, it doesn't account for your problems.

That said, I'll try to find a way to reproduce the issue on our side. But I might need your assistance in the future if me efforts prove fruitless. Thank you for your patience :)

Hi did you get any progress with this as we are having the same issue and we are finding that eventually windows explorer freezes and we need to reboot the machine.