Author Topic: CoronaDisplacementMod problem with vertex paint (3ds max + DAZ3d)  (Read 3186 times)

2018-01-07, 13:45:48

kawi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi, I'm a novice 3ds max and corona user, but I hope that advanced users will help me.
I have a problem with corona dispslacement modifier using with vertex paint.
I don't have this problem with simple solids. But here I imported the model from DAZ 3d.
As you can see in the pictures below, the model without embossing renders correctly.
And, as you can see in the pictures below, the displacement was painted only on the chest (vertex paint modifier):
but in the renderer the displacement also appears on the face (mouth, eyes, nose, ears) and on the edges of the arms (indentation on the joining of the hands and the torso).
I tried to apply a 'smooth' modifier to the body, but it does not help, does anyone have any idea and can help me?
Thank you in advance for any help.

2018-01-07, 14:28:45
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Two things to try:

1) Set min(black) value to zero and max(white) value to the wanted displacement amount

or

2) Invert the map

Hope it helps

2018-01-07, 15:05:20
Reply #2

kawi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks a lot PROH ! it really helped when I made a min value = 0.0
although it gives a slightly different displacement effect than I intended (in the place where I wanted).
When writing "Invert the map", did you mean to reverse (invert) the displacement map (I used the "cellular" map here)?

And I have a one question - is it normal (using displacement with min value = -1), that in the place where I have a black color in "vertex paint" (no displacement ?) there is a negative displacement (recess) ?

Thank you in advance one more time..:)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-07, 15:13:20 by kawi »

2018-01-07, 15:10:22
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you could describe what effect you want to achieve, then i'm pretty sure that forum users would help you to accomplish that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-01-07, 15:14:18
Reply #4

kawi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, you're right :)

And I have a one question - is it normal (using displacement with min value = -1), that in the place where I have a black color in "vertex paint" (no displacement ?) there is a negative displacement (recess) ?

Thank you in advance one more time..:)

2018-01-07, 15:29:19
Reply #5

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes that's normal in Corona. As described in the tool-tip, the minimum value is the "black-value", and the maximum value is the "white-value".

When saying invert I meant invert the vertex color map, so white turns black and black becomes white.

It all depends on what you want to achieve. Is the stroke going in or out? Are you using a multi material? Is the displacement done via modifier or material?

The better you describe what you want to do, the easier it'll be to help you :)

2018-01-07, 16:22:01
Reply #6

kawi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you again, PROH.
What I want to achieve is to make a concrete mannequin that has crumbled concrete in some places. I used only 1 material for the model (ordinary concrete with bump map).
I made the displacement using 'CoronaDisplacementMod' modifier (I didn't use displacement in the material).
The displacement map (in  'CoronaDisplacementMod' modifier) is for me a 'composite' map ('cellular' map in the 'layer' slot and a 'vertex color' map in the 'leyer mask' slot) - screenshot from below.
And I marked the place of the displacement with white color in 'vertex paint' (I used only the black color for the entire mannequi model and the white color - in the place of the planned displacement - as on the second picture in my first post ).

Earlier I made a min. value = -1 [cm] in "'CoronaDisplacementMod', because it gave me a better effect of crumbling the concrete, in the place where it was to be crushed, but unfortunately spoiled the rest of the model of mannequin .....

unfortunately, the invert of the black and white vertex color map (color correction of vertex color map i slate material editor) doesn't solve this problem....

is there any other way to do here the minimum value of displacement on np -1 [cm]
and not to spoil the rest of the model?

Thank you in advance, once again for help

2018-01-07, 16:50:20
Reply #7

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
try to experiment with displace modifier in viewport it give you idea how it work at render, so you will know what negative value will harm original complex mesh what is set at 0, and negative value will lowering whole mesh level for black color. You can see what at second image model is thinner 
Displacement needed at close view rendering, at that angles you can add detail with normal and bump maps.

2018-01-07, 17:31:37
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi kawi

Just made a test myself, and attached the max-file (v2014)

I used a Corona mix-map instead of composite map. My base layer color is black, top layer is the cellular map, mode is set to mix with a b/w map as mask. I used a bitmap as mask but you can use your vertex paint map intead.

Displacement minimum (black) is set to 0 cm and maximum (white) is set to -1 cm. In this case it's easier to understand what's going on if you think of the values as black/white values instead of min/max values.

Hope it helps

2018-01-07, 20:22:42
Reply #9

kawi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks a lot, for help,PROH !
I've tried with a negative value for max value and now I get what I wanted
I finally understand what's going on :)
again thanks a lot!
best regards!