Author Topic: Emit light toggle for CoronaMaterials  (Read 4260 times)

2018-01-04, 10:33:35

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
The LightMtl has a 'emit light' toggle which is quite handy in certain situations where you want something to be self illuminated but not add the the overall light contribution.

Would be nice to have that option for the self illumination property op the normal corona materials as well.

2018-01-04, 13:25:45
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think this is necessary as self illumination is designed for different purposes and it should never emit strong light anyway (it will be cut off by MSI).
For more info check out https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515603
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-01-04, 23:51:50
Reply #2

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
I'm aware of that, but sometimes I need objects in an animation to be highlighted for example.  It's easy to render out a mask and raise levels in post, until it goes behind glass or something. For things like that you want the full material + self illumination but without emitting actual lights.

Lots of times I now use the LightMtl to render objects with baked textures for example, put the texture in the light material and disable emission and you have a nice way to render texture as they are without being affected by any lights. But let's say you do want some reflections on it you can't do that easily. You have to do the same trick with a normal material which will always emit actual light. .

So that's why I asked for that checkbox.

2018-01-05, 09:51:24
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm aware of that, but sometimes I need objects in an animation to be highlighted for example.  It's easy to render out a mask and raise levels in post, until it goes behind glass or something. For things like that you want the full material + self illumination but without emitting actual lights.

Lots of times I now use the LightMtl to render objects with baked textures for example, put the texture in the light material and disable emission and you have a nice way to render texture as they are without being affected by any lights. But let's say you do want some reflections on it you can't do that easily. You have to do the same trick with a normal material which will always emit actual light. .

So that's why I asked for that checkbox.

In both you can plug your self illuminated material into a rayswitch material (direct visibility, reflections, refractions), and plug a different material (e.g. grey or black) into the GI slot. Checkbox would be a faster solution, but I am not really sure if we need it as it would be one more item in the UI.

2018-01-05, 11:45:40
Reply #4

JCdeBlok

• Active Users
  • Jonathan de Blok
    • View Profile
In both you can plug your self illuminated material into a rayswitch material (direct visibility, reflections, refractions), and plug a different material (e.g. grey or black) into the GI slot. Checkbox would be a faster solution, but I am not really sure if we need it as it would be one more item in the UI.

Ahh yes, that should work too. Forget the checkbox.

2018-01-05, 16:50:28
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually, what I do to simulate V-Ray's checkbox is to use RaySwitch map instead of RaySwitchMTL. That way it's even easier to set up. Just plug CoronaRaySwitch map into your material's self illumination slot, and set all colors to the color you want your self illumination to be, but set GI color to black :) If it needs to be animated, then use for example CoronaColor map plugged into all the slots except GI slot, so that you don't have to animate all these 3 color swatches individually.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-05, 16:54:43 by Ludvik Koutny »

2018-01-05, 17:22:54
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
that's actually a great idea

2018-01-05, 20:25:25